Photography as Therapy

<p>Do you think that photography can be used as therapy in the treatment of mental illness? I'm certainly aware of 'Art as Therapy', in particular where individuals 'communicate' their inner feelings through production of pieces based on their inner personalities/feelings/etc, i.e. it becomes an effective means of getting what's in out, so to speak. But is photography capable of doing the same thing, as it tends to be an input output type of medium where pen/brush/clay tends to be straight output. </p>

<p>Interesting and possibly very valuable proposal. I have had the privilege to see on a few occasions the art work of mentally challenged persons, most recently this past October in a wing of a gallery otherwise featuring turn of the century (19th/20th) art and which attracts a wide sector of society. The act of transferring thoughts to image via a paintbrush is perhaps more therapeutic than that which might come from mentally conceiving and making a photograph. Probably the therapy needs a bit of time in the doing and the photograph is perhaps too instantaneous for that (although good photography does normally require a lot of accompanying thought about the subject matter or conditions). But it could be useful, particularly in one of the two following modes: (a) by requesting the photographer to do a series of photos on one theme or subject, of his choosing (or in reflection on some existing art work); or (b) by having the photographer take several of his images, with perhaps other cut-out illustrative material, and make a collage of these elements.</p>

<p>Some years ago, the psychiatry department of a hospital sent two people to me with the specific request that I introduce them to photography. I understand that the "therapy" was deemed successful. I was on my guard but found that teaching and criticising could be done much as with "normal" people. My lay person's conclusion is that any activity which needs sustained concentration can be helpful in therapy. I'd say that <em>all</em> creative or productive activity, not just photography, needs a certain amount of input.</p>

<p>It can work the other way as well. The process of making photographs (emotional aspects, relationships with subjects and even viewers, obsessions about them, ongoing reaching for more, moments of doubt and anxiety, surprising revelations, opening oneself up to judgment) may cause one to need therapy.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Yup, I'm with Alan on this. Anything can be a "tool for therapy," in the hands of a good therapist, in whatever system he or she is using. In the hospital we use many forms of therapy, such as movement therapy, occupational therapy (often working on crafts), music therapy, group discussions on a topic, etc. <br>

Fred, for most people, life is therapy. If something you do in life causes you to examine your life and you struggle through to resolve the issues that come up, this is the most natural form of growth, and "therapy."</p>

<p><strong>Fred G - "</strong>may cause one to need therapy."</p>

<p>True, and after I stopped laughing, it occurred to me that being driven to the realization that you need therapy is in a way, therapeutic.</p>

<p><strong>Alan Z - </strong>"I believe a trained therapist, shaman or psychologist, can make anything a tool for therapy."</p>

<p>I agree, and would only add that not just the image, but the process involved can be at the core of it. I have written about and photographed an organization that has a studio in which their members make ceramics and paintings, and they are big on the process, not just the outcome.</p>

<p>Usually, when I am wandering about with a camera in my hand, I tend to feel relaxed to a certain degree. Probably I am not allowing myself to be distracted by the usual pressures of work, etc. The same goes for my tweaking the photographs once they've been taken. The outcome tends to be my feeling better. I take it, though, that the OP is really about a formalized set of processes and/or procedures. </p>

<p>Thanks for your thoughts, links and humour on this one, much appreciated.<br>

Personally I don't think that photography can be as powerful in a diagnostic treatment aspect as 'straight art', but as a 'subject' in which to engage somebody it is both wide ranging, multi-aspect, and practical, with opportunity to provoke/question/challenge different parts of the mind. </p>

<p>Without going into too many words, I'd like to simply answer you "YES, photography can be very therapeutic, as can also be simply viewing or discussing (or just remembering or imagining) photo images. Professionally, when photos are used by therapists trained on how to do this (called "PhotoTherapy") it can connect people with memories, feelings, attitudes, expectations, etc etc, that are very helpful in the therapy process when words alone are not sufficient to help. Used by people for their own self-insight, or to improve communication with others, the same sorts of techniques are called "Therapeutic Photography". <br /><br />More information about these can be found at: http://www.phototherapy-centre.com -- it's like a small book about all aspects of both fields -- have a look, and hopefully also enjoy the reading of what you find there! <br /><br />There's also a Facebook Group for those interested in sharing/discussing more about such topics:<br />"PhotoTherapy, Therapeutic Photography, Photo Art Therapy, and VideoTherapy", at:<br />https://www.facebook.com/groups/PhotoTherapy.and.Therapeutic.Photography<br /><br />Hope all this is useful/helpful to you and those who commented!!<br /><br />Judy Weiser, Director, PhotoTherapy Centre, Vancouver, Canada<br />jweiser@phototherapy-centre.com</p>

<p>I haven't contributed a response to this forum for quite a while -- which is a good question in and of itself to be saved for another time. As for Stephen's concern, yes, Photography is a wonderful tool for therapy and is, as people have mentioned, therapeutic in its own right.<br>

Thanks too to Judy for her links. I intend to follow up on them. <br>

TomZ</p>

• 1 month later...