25asa

Im just wondering the general people that browse Photo.net. How many

of you do this as a hobby or enjoyment? And how many of you do this

as a business or a career? I myself do this as a hobby and do a shoot

of people (or for them) usually for the experience and don't usually

charge them for it other then cost of materials/ processing. They are

suprised when I tell them I dont have a company and do it just for

fun. I've learned a lot from this site over the past year and its

great to see others work for inspiration. Any comments?

I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of "us" are enthusist's to one degree or another. There's certainly a lot of pro's, and pro quality work here as well. I take pic's for myself, and once in while get lucky enough for someone to buy the film/supplies for me. Any money seems to find itself right back into the hobby, specifically the darkroom for paper and chemicals.

I recently been taking photos of our church members since they needed new photos. I offered to take them for no cost to them (I consider it an offering). After that some liked the pics and asked me if I could do pics of their family. I said sure. They asked me how much and I said I felt funny asking for money to do them since I told them I am not a pro. I just mentioned costs of film and processing only as I'd do the shoot to no charge to them. Its just good experience for me.

It is clear from the questions asked in this business forum that

most of the participants are hobbyists, and that there are some

professionals. As for your subject's comments, many people seem to

think that photographers who carry serious equipment (maybe anything

from a SLR with a big zoom to larger format cameras) are professionals.

If people want to pay you for your work, why refuse? The only real difference between amateur and pro is the latter is paid. "Turning pro" doesn't involve any special declaration to the NBA or anything! Of course there are huge differences between good photographers/pros and other photographers. Among those differences are the commitment and standards of a professional. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get paid if you have a saleable product and produce it responsibly! Moreover, doing it free may unwittingly involve cutting out a paying job for someone else! Just my two cents. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quarter?-professional. Means according to the amount of money spend for equipment my income is ridiculous, but I do some digital product shots from time to time, first as an emplyee now at home with own equipment for a moderate wage - usually spend in more equipment...

I don't dare to turn completely pro; I still have trouble dealing with people to make them turn out their best side and I know the comepetition is damned hard.