Photography and the internet

What impact does photography have on the internet, and why is it

such an important factor in the future of the internet, does it have

an advantage over mpeg,wav and other motion footage in the job they

both play? And what is the role of photography with the internet?

If anyone has any ideas or views or arguments on this matter i would

be very keen view your points..... Thanks john

It plays the same role it plays in print media: people like to look at pictures, and pictures contain a lot of information.

I never bother Internet video because it's a huge pain. I don't know how they manage it -- apparently each and every video file ever created requires a different codec.

Photography is doable, Video isn't really. Do you know how many man-hours are needed to produce a mediocre video clip? - A weekend is ruined fast that way... Photos are crossmedia publishable, videos not. I don't think much about the internet, but I'm sure the relation is the other way around; the web gave a adittional kick to photographers, pushed digital capture and should have increased everyday photography.

What the people said.

On 56kbps dial-up, photos were useable and videos were a complete PITA.

Broadband is cheap and fast enough now that even with a monthly cap of 1GB you can

download still photos practically forever without hitting the cap.

You can tell a story or convey an idea very quickly and economically with a picture

compared to making a video about it.

It's not only the technicalities that make video different(more difficult to internetize, if you wish). If there's a photo in front of me, I decide how long I am looking at it, and what exactly I take out of it. If there's a movie/clip, I am supposed to sit and watch it until it's over which sometimes is no problem but mostly it's limiting (my contribution to the process).

• 4 weeks later...
Broadband internet by dsl or cable modem is not available in all places in the USA. One place I vist still has all dialup; and a few token folks use broadband via a dish; which is expensive. Kids there seem to have all cellphones; and dialup modems at 49k in the city; and 26k in the country. Kids still there use Kazaa; etc to download movies,video,programs ansd still images at 26K bps. The bootleg 1 gig Spiderman a kid showed me while visting took 1 week or two to download; capturing the "kids" telephone line for the task. The current battle to quickly release dvd's of major movies is an attempt to reduce illegal downloading of movies. An buddies little teenager has a whole collection of movies downloaded for free; on a dialup 26k line. He leaves the computer on line all the time; it times out in 12hours. He sets the computer on the download before school; and at night; and downloads 24/7 almost.

• 1 month later...

on th tech side, I agree with Kelly: internet has a much, much wider reach broadband has.

on the psy side I say yes, let's sit back and enjoy observing a picture (Doisneau's "Les beisiers" is a perfect exemple). that way I lead the game. with videos, as Csab says, I'm led by it. And I'm tired of being led by modern tv's (that's video on the internet).

And for the good as long as internet is concerned, I would never have dreamed to be here, exchanging opinions with top of the line professional photographers, plumbers, psichiatrists, engineers, teachers, CEOs, electricians, PRs...... I love you all!!!