Photography and Backpacking at Arches N.P.

andy-

For several months I have been planning a combination

backpacking/photo trip through the Needles section of Canyonlands

National Park in late October. Unfortunately I've just had a major

knee injury and this has become impossible (cue the violinists), so

I'm thinking of modifying my plans and visiting Arches National Park.

Since Arches seems to have primarily short hikes it sounds like a good

idea. I figure I can still hike maybe 7-8 miles per day with my

photography equipment, and probably 5 miles tops with my photo and

backpacking gear.

I'd like to hit the scenic locations at ideal hours, sunrise and/or

sunset. Problem is, at a slow pace this means trudging through

uncertain terrian in the dark. Ideally I could hike out in the light

and camp overnight to get my sunset/sunrise photos, but the official

Arches web site is very vague on what it considers 'backcountry' areas

and where backpacking is allowed. As far as I can determine there are

no 'backcountry' campsites in Arches anyway. At the time I will be

visiting the Devil's Garden campground will be closed, so my only

option seems to be to stay in Moab and make a very early morning

drive/hike in the dark to reach the sites - or hike back to my car in

darkness at night. Additionally, I've been told that many of the

hiking trails at Arches follow rock cairns which would seem to be

quite difficult to follow in the dark, even with a headlamp

flashlight.

I'd really appreciate if anybody had any suggestions or input on this.

Does anybody know of the backpacking restrictions in Arches? Even if I

could make minor detours off-trail to camp, it seems like this would

be an ideal solution to my problem. Or if somebody could suggest a

good alternative at Canyonlands that would be great too. I have 4x4 so

that is a possibility but from reading previous posts the 4x4 areas

are not that great for photography.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

One trail that I would avoid in the dark is the primitive loop trail that extends out of Devils Garden. It is 4 miles and requires negotiating the spine of a sandstone fin as well as some sloping rock faces while following cairns. Otherwise, I think you could find plenty to photograph in Arches after just a short, safe hike with a flashlight.

I've hiked out from Delicate Arch several times after dark. It's not too bad to follow the cairns in the dark, but a small flashlight makes it much easier. I've never bothered to try any significant hikes in the dark before sunrise because most of the my favorite sunrise locations are so close to parking -- on the order of 1/4 mile or less.

In any case, I've had good experiences staying the night in Moab, and either driving out before dawn, or back after sunset. It's less than a half hour drive.

A short 1/4 mile hike will get you to a view of Turret Arch through North Window. This is a picture I have seen many professionals take, so it's not original but I still like it. You can shoot this at sunrise or sunset. At this time of year you probably will have shadow on Turret Arch until an hour after sunrise.

Double Arch is closeby, about 1/4 mile from the same point (opposite direction) you departed from to get to Delicate Arch.

I wouldn't visit Arches without hiking to Delicate Arch. This has to be one of the most photographed objects in Utah and graces the Utah license plate. I found it to be an impressive site, especially with the La Sal mountains in the background. If memory serves this is around a mile hike with a 700-800ft change in elevation. I am not sure how your knee would react, but if you think you can go five miles I would fit this in somehow. I definitely recommend this as a late afternoon / sunset shot.

Balanced rock in late afternoon /sunset is another good shot easily reached.

As was previously indicated, it's easy for you to stay at Moab and drive to a point that you can originate a hike.

Good shooting. Email me with additional questions if desired.

I have little to add to the above except that <br><p>

1. The drive to Moab from Interstate 80 can offer some spectacular vistas, especially as the sun is setting <br><p>

2.<i> 7-8 miles a day with gear after a major knee injury? Are you serious??</i><br><p>

I have a friend who ignored advice to take it easy, real easy, after a knee injury, and walked to his office in a University (about a mile each way)for a few weeks before the summer break. He ended up having an artificial knee joint replacement before the summer was over. Be very careful and very sensible. <br><p>Arches National Park is worth a lot, but not worth losing a body part for ;-)

The Landscape Arch is indeed very impressive although probably over-photographed. Obviously it depends on how strong a hiker you are, but I wouldn't describe it as an easy hike. It is about an hour uphill, and if the weather is hot, it can be fairly demanding and I would bring plenty of water. Of course, if you hike up there in the dark, it is probably easier without the hot sun above your head.

I was i Arches N.P. the last week in August. There is no hiking off of marked trails, they are very serious about protecting the living soil that is everywhere. Besides the camping and motels in Moab there are also a number of campfrounds on the Colorado River on route 118 (I think, I don't have my map in front of me). Delicate Arch is 1.5 miles of some tough hiKing, would not recamend with a bum knee. I found that all times of the day make for some great pictures. Most trails are good for those fellin a little gimpy. Have fun.