Photographing the homeless

matthewkane

I live downtown in a metropolitan city. Homelessness seems to be on the rise. I look out

my apartment windows and see them everyday. I am compelled to do a project on them as

they are largely forgotten and overlooked. I think this would be an interesting subject

indeed. My questions are... what kind of techniques can I utilize to convey the sense of

their situation? I'm thinking studio shots with no props. So what lens techniques, lighting,

etc could aide in this kind of thing? Also I want to do some of them being cheerful if at all

possible, so don't get the wrong idea.

I also wanted to know if anyone has ever considered this? What can I do just offer them

money for their time and for them signing a release? Am I crazy?

Thanks

Hi Matthew, Like the others, I don't think it's necessarily a good plan to bring homeless people into your studio. Besides, if you want to "convey the sense of their situation" I'm not sure a studio shot would do that.

I've taken shots of homeless people - for better or worse - just walking around and without asking permission. Sometimes I'll smile and make a gesture towards my camera to see if they object first, but more often than not I'll just snap the picture surrepticiously. (sp?)

The folks over in the Street Photography forum could probably be a lot of help. Most of those guys (and girls!) seem to prefer a wide(ish) lens and shots taken rather up close and personal. Although I think one can still get very nice images with a telephoto, which has the advantage of being less obvious and intrusive.

Cheerful? I dunno... Unfortunately there are many homeless people who have varying degrees of mental illness. (Not all of course; some are just down on their luck) But usually a "career" homeless person is homeless because they just can't fit in and that's usually for a reason. You'd want to be very careful about trying to cheer some people up or bringing them home to your studio.

Here's a few of mine that aren't particularly good but I like 'em for different reasons:

http://www.photo.net/photo/3421714

http://www.photo.net/photo/3632225 <--this guy's a good example of someone you probably don't want in your studio!

http://www.photo.net/photo/3622010 <--Ditto for this fellow who was utterly wasted at about 10:30 in the morning.

http://www.photo.net/photo/3603328 <--I'm no shrink but this woman doesn't look like she's exactly got it all together.

So be careful out there and check out some of the excellent work the people in the Street forum are doing. Good luck!

hi Matthew,

I agree about the "not in your studio" part, but apart from that, it seems like a cool idea. I DO think that homeless people can be cheerful on occasion. Come on, folks -- they're still people, and some of them are only recently homeless, or still know how to enjoy life as best they can.

I used to live in NYC and we had many homeless people around my apartment. They ranged from harmless to humorous to downright scary. One guy would ask for money; if you gave a small amount of change, he'd get in your face and accuse you of being cheap. Sometimes he'd say, "I have AIDS and I'm going to stab you with a needle of mine if you don't give me another dollar."

Another guy would beg right outside my local subway station; he would joke and talk and lots of poeple sort of got to know him, at least a bit. One time he disappeared. We asked where he was, and were told he was on vacation on Jamaica. I sincerely hope that was true. he would have been a GREAT subject for a photo shoot!

I think you should talk to people who seem "ok" in terms of mental stability. Treat them with respect. Offer to buy a meal or bring them a sandwich in return for a photo. Ask for a photo release form. Just because they are homeless doesn't mean that the copyright & photo rights laws don't apply to them. ESPECIALLY if you want to publish!

Good luck! I'd love to see your work when you get some of these shots.

Jennifer

http://www.highway99.com/lclarkes/heriones/index.html

A few years back in Vancouver Lincoln Clarkes took photos of our Downtown East side -- poorest postal code in Canada.

http://www.highway99.com/lclarkes/art.html

I if memory serves he may have used LF gear -- at least a tri-pod.

Lots of controversy -- expletive etc. Then the whole missing women thing happened later. Not that they were linked or anything, but people then had faces burned in their memory.

Good luck.

Dean

I often work with homeless people in my job. They have highs and lows, just like the rest of us. Unfortunately, because of the precarious nature of their existence, these tend to be lower than most of us go and higher (often drug assisted). You've defined your interest in them through their lack of a home and the fact that you see them on the street, so that's where you must photograph them. They tend to spend a lot of time on the side walk sitting or lying. Most of us don't adopt that position, so perhaps get down to their level and see the world as they do. I've often thought of taking some tripod mounted shots just off the pavement with a slow shutter speeed. The homeless person would be sharp as they are immobile, but the mass of humanity would rush past, blurred and ignoring them. Just an idea. If you're freezing in January and hungry, I'm sure you'd sign a model release for a few bucks.

Matthew, I agree with the comments above. Why not shot these people on their turf? If you take them into your studio, you'll lose the <b> homeless </b> aspect. <br>

<br>

<i> My questions are... what kind of techniques can I utilize to convey the sense of their situation? </i> <br>

I would definitely go with B&W. I don't understand the cheerful idea, I can just imagine an old bag lady with pom poms.

Have a look at some of Richard Avedon's portraits of Mid West American Drifters for some

inspiration. He had their permission and cooperation, and had the satisfaction of paying

them for a job well done. His results were marvelous - some of his greatest work.

This is more "honest" than the ubiqutious candid street shot which often have an uneasy

voyeristic quality, even if done as documentry work!

N<div>00EfmF-27204184.jpg.52a67a34e52483770acebbd8f0e0b62b.jpg</div>

Wow what a response.

First of all to Tim and Jay well obviously this doesn't interest you so why did you respond?

Yeah Jay I appreciate the comment I am most certainly in search of a roommate, I hope

those wisecracks warm your heart.

Yes Richard Avedon was actually part of the inspiration. That was the idea.

I don't OWN a studio and am not bringing them into my home. I was actually considering

renting one out downtown here for a few hours that is actually just a warehouse with

skylights where from what I've seen there 'anything goes'. At any rate yes I am fully aware

that some are wilder than others and some caution has to be excercised. But

wholeheartedly disagree that they are not ever cheerful. If you actually take a minute to

treat them like human beings well then you can see signs of 'life'. All homeless people are

not just vapid. There are actually 'street kids' to, you've seen them. 18 down on their luck,

no family, out traveling. Candids are not really the idea. That's been done a million times

before. I am not scared of these people and wouldn't shy away from approaching them

and trying to capture something genuine about them like any other subject. Of course I

wouldn't approach the guy that was stumbling around. Common sense would be utilized.

At any rate I appreciate the constructive comments.

Avoid Studios, they are sterile, and will taint the flavour of your shots. Try to do what Avedon

did, he didn't use a studio for his project (see below). If you cannot get a screen together with

the help of a few mates, seek out a plane coloured wall, and use nice ambient diffuse light!

...good luck with your project!

N<div>00Efnl-27204584.jpg.7e4416aa601376161f1e98e3475a4b61.jpg</div>

Matthew, sorry I hurt your feelings but your post just seemed a little bourgeous to me that's all. You asked if we thought you were crazy and I answered "Yup". I only spoke for myself, others think you are fine and dandy. Do your project as you see fit and post some images. The proof is always in the pudding.

hi Matthew,

I was thinking more about technique. I like the idea of using b/w film (or converting digital to b/w later.) I think it would also be a cool idea to ask THEM how they'd like to be photographed. You might get some really fascinating responses and great ideas. For example, what if someone WANTED to be photo'd in a studio, or by a particular restaurant, or in a specific pose? You might also get some interesting stories to go along with the photos. The warehouse idea sounds good. There's a warehouse here in Phoenix called "The Icehouse" (not sure why) where they have different events. It's weird and awesome and broken down inside, and I'd love to photograph people in there sometime.

good luck!

Jennifer

Two hard facts. Most are alchohol or drug addicted. Many are crazy. How do I know this? My local city government had a forum about this and everyone from police, medical, and shelter providers testified to this and it was well documented. Yes I think its exploitation as well... and very dangerous exploitation at that.

Besides when was photography/portraiture restricted to the sane or the privileged?

I suppose then that those beautiful pictures of vagrants and drifters that Mr. Avedon

took in the american west were somehow unethical... and that Sebastiao Salgados photos

of poor workers were some how exploiting people... not buying it.

I'm more concerned with your safety. UNlikely anyone would hurt you, but the numbers don't lie. The local city government can't afford to lock them up and house them so they are left alone. This leads to those few truely sick people to go without needed medication and some are dangerous.

If you are ever in Myrtle Beach I'll show you where a whole community is living in the woods. We have a tremendous amount of well meaning people that reach out and help these unfortunate souls. It just attracts more of them.

Just yesterday I had to stop on a busy street while some mentally ill person couldn't decide if he wanted to cross the street and walked in circles in my lane. I see him nearly everyday and I doubt he knows he's on planet earth, much less the middle of the street.

Maybe your images may actually bring to light the problem in your community. It wont do anything but make you feel better. Trust me when I say the numbers are government studied numbers. Most are addicted and nearly as many mentally ill and they wont/cant help themselves.

Be careful and be safe.