Photographing sports cars

Steven Rowley

Two books you might look at both have the same title, "How to Photograph Cars." James Mann is one author, and Tony Baker is the other. Both available at amazon.com, with Baker's book being the more detailed and also the more expensive. Lighting is the key as usual, and High Noon might be a great movie but bad for photos. Don't neglect action, as the natural habitat of a car is moving on a road. Local car shows (regardless of being sports-cars or hot-rods) are a great place to practice you craft, both whole-cars and details. I prefer action myself <a href="http://www.jaypix.com/pix/bss.jpg"> Formula 1 </a>.

Summer's fading but late afternoon into early evening on clear days is my favorite time. Full car shots are made difficult at shows, rallys, or "cruise nites" by gawkers who drift into shots. I find a 50mm lens works well for the tighter sort of detail shots I prefer of grills, wheels, engines, interiors, etc. An 85mm lens is nice, too, but the greater working distance of a short tele invites problems with spectators blocking shots. A circular polarizer is a "must" to cut unwanted reflections on chrome and paint and to intensify colours.Get close and focus on design/contour details that distinguish a particular make and/or model.