Photographing large bride and groom in wheelchair

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me through the learning curve here.

I will be shooting a wedding in September at a local County park. The bride is

(as one of your thread posts in 2006 stated) "large boned". She has expressed

her concern to me about "making her look pretty". Her husband-to-be is fairly

short and average size, but he is confined to a wheelchair. I understand the

techniques that some of you suggested about shooting at least at eye level or

higher, and with the bride at 90 degree angle, foot forward toward me, and hip

twisted. However, taking pictures of the two of them together with the

wheelchair presents a special element to the photography. Any suggestions or

examples anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Usually you would sacrifice the groom for the bride so you can use the wheelchair to help hide the large bride, still have her turn - never shoot straigt on and hide her with the wheel chair, this can be done subtely or have her stand right behind it bending down to him. Even just partialy will make a huge difference. Next I would do more facial closeups with the two of them. Again lots of common sense, if she has a big nose have her kiss him nose out, use his face to block some of hers and shape her more attractively. Try some high vantage points looking down. Crop her face in half getting like one eye and the side of her face for an artistic type shot. Lots of options, just start thinking and you will find some angles. The more you try the more you chances for success.

This is a perfect couple to do an engagement session with. It will give you a chance to experiment and them a chance to see themselves photographed together.

Once you see what they respond to you can work from there to incorporate that style of posing for the wedding day. Depending on his wheelchair it may be possible to work with her on a bench or another chair and have then tucked in together and not really call attention to who is seated.

See if he can transfer to another surface with any ease. If he can then using a bench in the park or a more traditional chair could give you some options.

I would really talk frankly with him about how he sees himself in regards to the chair and to other places to sit. I had a best man in a wheel chair recently and he did not have his usual chair so was so way more restricted and nervous about surfaces to go over and being aided in moving around.

It seems like almost every few weeks there is a gradparent in a wheelchair and the usual leaning around tight in head shot is a winner most everytime.

You can also work with other body parts like hands to convey a sense of being together and romance. concentrate on both of their upper bodies and I am sure you can come up with some prety images.

SHow us all some when you are done!

Brooke

I would think you would have to shoot at least one pose in which you see the bride full length and show her dress, so while hiding her behind the wheelchair is a good option, you still can't avoid the former. I'd say that if you know the typical "tricks" for handling large brides, do them within the scope of the expected poses. Then provide as many options as you can that show both at their best, as well as some that actually highlight their uniqueness.

Where you can do the most, of course, is in tight close-ups of their faces, where using a tele can cut out the wheelchair arms and where having her bend down to him from behind will help hide the double chin (if any), and cut any girth from her upper body. Plus all the good suggestions made by Steve, above. Also don't forget the bouquet and hands as blocking devices.

Thank you all SO much for your suggestions. The couple is familiar with this park where the wedding will be. There are covered walkways and sidewalks, so most of the area is wheelchair accessible. This is going to make it very exciting for me. I will certainly take your advice. And, after the wedding, I'll post some of the best ones, so you can see how your advice was applied. Thanks again.