Photographing Lake Powell

massimo_squillace

I am planning a vacation to the Southwest in June, and would like to

photograph Lake Powell from above water level, i.e. from the top of

the mesas or from a helicopter, with my Horseman VH-R.

Has anyone in this list travelled Warm Creek Road from Big Water to

the top of Romana Mesa to shoot Gunsight Bay and Padre Bay ... how

long does it take with a 4WD, and is it a challenging drive (I'd

like to bring my family along)?

Any good experiences to relate re: renting a 4WD in Page?

What about shooting at sunrise or sunset from a helicopter ... is it

possible to book a ride in Page, and could you advice on the proper

shooting technique?

Lastly, I'd appreciate advice on other shooting locations along Lake

Powell's shoreline that can be reached in a daily outing from Page,

possibly by car or 4WD.

Thank you

I have been out there to Gunsight a few times. It will take you about an hour, the roads are fairly good but they are not marked real well. I also went further around the lake toward Grand Bench but the road gets more sketchy about 15 miles past the Gunsight turn off. There also is a road all the way to Escalante 99% of it is good one scary section there also. Careful if it rains there are flash flood drains that you have to drive through. Another way out to the lake by road is from Escalante out Hole in the Rock Road but that is about 75 miles and some of it is jeep style boulder driving. Have Fun!

Massimo,

I would consider renting 4WD from one of the larger car rentals rather than in Page which tends to be expensive because it,s geared for short term hire. Negotiate a 4WD rental for your whole stay, something like an 'Isuzu Trooper' which would suffice for almost any terrain and is good for the interstate also, enjoy! it's my favourite place anywhere!

Maybe the water will drop so low that the only sensible thing to do will be to dismantle the dam. Can you imagine how beautiful glen canyon would be once the bathtub rings of lake foul wear off and the lake is drained? For anyone that is interested there are some nice b&w images of the area before the flood by Tad Nichols in the book Glen canyon, images of a lost world. It is totally shocking, depressing, and inspiring to see what this place used to look like....