which I'd love to get a pic of. However, if I approach on foot, the

gigantic ducks (which look like they wouldn't be scared of a nuclear

bomb dropping) take off quicker than hummingbirds on speed. I've

decided that blind photography is the way to go, but the question is

how do I do it? Do I need to set it up in darkness so that they

don't see me, or can I erect it in the morning and attempt

concealment while doing so?

Thanks

Not too many people photograph ducks from a blind, but there are a bunch of people that hunt them. Check up on the hunting aspect of it- you may have friends locally that can tell you more about getting close to ducks than you really want to know.

My general idea of this, by the way, is you go set it up in broad daylight and then leave it out there a couple of days or more before you use it.

Stephen is right. Set it up when the ducks can see you and leave it there. They need to get used to it and to you coming and going.

First, set up the blind near the area they most frequent with a good view of their approach and the sun more or less behind you. It may take a little research.

Next, you will want them to see you visiting the blind twice a day for a few minutes and leaving. The ideal times for this is just before prime shooting time and again after prime shooting time. I?m not sure how long it will take them to get acclimated to this, it varies with location and species. Eventually they will return to the water almost immediately after they see you leave. Ideally you need to do your daily visits in a group of 3 people. Just come, leave some used clothes behind, leave, and then return a few hours later and leave again. Keep to an accurate schedule so the birds will have no surprises.

The reason for a small group is so that the birds will always see people come and go. Even when you remain behind, they will see the others leave and assume the blind has been vacated.

The reason for leaving clothes behind is to leave your scent in the area. While ducks may or may not be affected by your scent, they will be wary of the change in behaviour of other critters in the area.

Finally, after about a week or more of that, start staying in the blind between the times the others leave and come back and take pictures.

That?s it! As easy as pie.

Bill

Ducks seem most alarmed by things that move. A blind is simply something that covers your silhouette and movement. Most critters and ducks are somewhat used to having people around, so I wouldn't worry about having a blind sit out for a few days. Ducks have no sense of smell but do have keen eyes. Their hearing seems to be pretty good too. Best bet is to get out before light, set up a simple blind using a camo netting tied into existing cover, wear camo clothing and face mask/gloves. A pair of cheap waders will allow you to get out into shallow water and even just sit in tall vegetation such as cattails. Pick spots the ducks like to frequent--they are usually pretty predictible. You must be patient--it can takes hours. In the meantime, be alert for other critters/opportunities that might come by. Often when I was hiding waiting to shoot some ducks, a deer would come up and take a drink. Or, a muskrat would paddle by. One once tried to swim between my legs!

Kent in SD