weekend, and have read somewhere that there is a place you can go

where Dippers can be photgraphed without hides etc., as they are used

to people walking close by.

I'm hoping to be able to photograph them in the afternoon and I know

time of day can be relevant in the Dales, so any information or

advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian,

I cant help you, regarding the dales area. However what you have been told, is most likely correct.

I lived near Auchtermuchty in Fife, for a number of years. Although this was a small village, the dippers which appeared along the burns, often allowed a very close approach.

Even if you can not find the exact place you are looking for, in the dales, i would be very surprised if you did not see any, over a weekend.

When you do spot one, even if it flies off, it is worth waiting in this spot for a while. These birds have habits similar to kingfishers, in the fact that they will return to favourite spots during the course of the day.

Good luck with your trip

The dales you are thinking about are Lathkill and Bradford dales. Both have good populations of Dippers, and they are used to lots of walkers. Park in Youlgrave for the Bradford and part of the Lathkill or in Over Haddon for Central Lathkill dale. If you get there early you can drive down and park almost in the dale. The weirs on that stretch are one of the best spots.

Look out for Dabchick (little grebe) and grey wagtail as well, and for water vole on the Bradford.

Good luck

Mick