Photographing Brooklyn Bridge

mariosforsos

<p>Hiya all...</p>

<p>Just a quickie really: for those of you who have done it, where is the best place to photograph Brooklyn Bridge from? How easy is it to get there? Any clever/ unusual/ interesting angles you could suggest would be humongously appreciated...;-)))</p>

<p>Thanks a million</p>

<p>I'll be there for 7 days, so plenty of time... how easy is it to walk across the bridge? Never tried it....(have been to NYC three times before but never got around to shooting the bridge....)</p>

<p>Thanks, your ideas have already been noted...;-)))</p>

<p>Marios...there are a few tourist boats that will take you under the bridge, and fairly close to the Statue of Liberty. You'll find these at the South Street Seaport. Just ask if the particular boat goes under the bridge.</p>

<div>00WhDF-252805884.jpg.92fb6029967c0d2dc50e9f11149311c4.jpg</div>

<p>It's a very nice walk across the Bridge, I highly recommend that you do it. There are many places along the Brooklyn water front to take pictures of the bridge. The Manhattan side of the bridge is just north of the South Street Seaport and there are some points along the Manhattan River front where you can get some nice images as well. Enjoy.</p>

<p>Its easy to walk across the bridge- best IMO to walk from the Brooklyn side to the Manhattan side not vice versa. Don't do it on a weekend if you want to photograph- its a family as well as tourist strolling point and gets busy, and look carefully on your map for the access points- you need to get on the bridge walkway well "inland" When you're walking on the bridge there are decent views of both the Manhattan and Brooklyn skylines, and there is a spot about half way when the big intrusive white building and logo on the Manhattan side (Verizon??) is hidden by the bridge supports.</p>

<p>Photographing the Bridge with Manhattan behind is best done IMO from a park on the riverside just east of the bridge on the Brooklyn side, accessed via Water street I think. If you're using a tripod you can expect a visitation from a park ranger who will ask you if you're a professional and remind you that if so you're kind of not allowed. He might even show signs of not believing you, but eventually he'll go away. Best in the morning, as is photography from the bridge itself. </p><div>00WhHZ-252841584.jpg.727bcda86f420c17508376bf8ebfa090.jpg</div>

<p>It's a wonderful architectural landmark, another example of how Victorian engineers were better architects than their contemporary architects, so-called. Mind you, I do like Victorian architecture too. On one Victorian bulding in Harvard Yard, they were kind enough to put up a sign on the building over the door saying "Architecture" -- it was so eclectic otherwise it would have been hard to tell.</p>

<p>BTW, I have personally owned the Brooklyn Bridge since a visit to the City in 1963; and you have my permission to photograph it. Just tell the cops if they ask.</p>

<p>I was born in Brooklyn but, have not been there for more years than I like to consider. I may travel there in the Fall to attend a wedding of a shirtail cousin. That is simply an excuse for re-visiting the New York City and doing some photography. I have more pictures of Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong than I have of my own birthplace.<br>

When I was a kid, the area surrounding the Brooklyn side of the bridge was fairly unsavory and not a place to go at night. How is the general safety of that area now?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When I was a kid, the area surrounding the Brooklyn side of the bridge was fairly unsavory and not a place to go at night. How is the general safety of that area now?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Brooklyn is safer than most big cities. DUMBO (the area surrounding the bridge which stands for "down under the manhattan bridge overpass") has transitioned from scary to artsy to trendy to $@!&'n expensive--for better or for worse, much like the rest of Brooklyn. If it's been as long as you allude, you will most likely not recognize it.</p>

<p>I don't think that there is a single "best" place from which to photograph the bridge, but I would definitely recommend walking across the bridge. It's actually quite hard to photograph the bridge from the bridge, but walking across it is an experience not to be missed. Once you cross the bridge on foot you can easily walk to the parks on the Brooklyn side, which are nice vistas for photography.</p>

<p>Also, you might want to type "Brooklyn Bridge" into Google Maps, and click on "Street View" (the yellow stick figure icon). From there you can place the cursor down not only on roads to look at the view from there, but on any of the indictated points from which photos can be viewed. It's a really amazing collection of photos of the bridge!</p><div>00WhVw-252947584.jpg.716f8c6e64c69a64bf5627ee714d8462.jpg</div>

<p>Wow...! Thanks a million everyone, both for the suggestions AND for those images FROM the bridge - I always wondered how these photos were possible (I'm not going to embarass myself by saying what I thought was the solution...). So, walking it is...;-)))</p>

<p>May I ask one more thing? (I should have done it in the OP): Is the park on the Brooklyn side safe at night? I mean, I'm just over 6ft and weight a good 190 pounds (of which a good percentage is intimidating muscle - hahahaha), so normally I'm okay, but any word to the wise? Thanks to all!!!!!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The walkway across the bridge is actually on a level above the cars. Pedestrians don't have access to the street level of the bridge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That helps, so I won't get run over. But does the walkway level still vibrate from the traffic below? That would make using a tripod hopeless.</p>