place for days on end unattended {which would increase my chances of

the buzzard becoming used to an unfamilier object}, due to dog

walkers etc.

Im planning on using a Tc, for my next attempt, and hoping that 25/30

meters distance may increase my chances. Any suggestions would be

appreciated as buzzards are not my usual species of bird to

photograph, but due to their size, they would appear to be well

suited to 645 format, providing i can get close enough photograph,

without being to close for their safety zones.

I realise that winter is likely to increase my chances, but it would

be great to get a shot of this buzzard, before a local landowner

decides to use it as shooting practice!!!!!!

Two eight hour days is just the tip of the iceberg. It would be to

your advantage to be able to leave the blind in place. After a

couple of days they aren't even used to the presence of this new

part of the environment. It might take a week or more for the

local wildlife to start to become comfortable with the presence of

your blind.

Yep, thanks J.

It would be ideal to leave my hide in place, and although the local landowner has given me permision to use his land for this project, there would be a good chance that it would "dissappear" if i did this, as this land borders a small village and is sometimes used by dog walkers and children exploring the area {which annoys the landowner}

For people who are skilled at "birds in flight" photography, this buzzard be a great subject and is not nervous whilst flying if people are in the area, however my camera gear is not suitable for this, and nor are my skills.

Anyway, i will try again from a bit further away with my hide amoungst some small trees, and see what happens. Ive no problem spending vast amounts of time in a hide {as long as it takes, is my motto}, but i fear that the buzzard may not have as much time as me, in this area.

Thanks for replying

I was able to get within 5 feet of a feeding red-tailed hawk. He

was apprehensive in the beginning but totally ignored me after a

while. I approach slowly, no sudden movements. Avoid eye

contact. Ziz zag, don't go straight towards him. Sometimes I even

retreat a little.

The key is not to make feel like you're going after him.

If the meal is good and they can't take off with it, they usually

tolerate people. They don't mind company if they're not

threatened.

What's your 35mm equivalent focal length?

here's a link to my photos.<p>

<a

href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=244780">re

dtails</a>

<p>

<a

href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=244780">re

dtails1</a>

<p>

Hisham.

Thanks Hisham,

Unfortunately in this particular location in the UK these birds are very wary when not in flight, which is why i think that using my hide would give me a better chance with this bird. I have managed to get fairly close to kestrels through stalking, but this buzzard takes flight if i approach within 50/80 meters. Its territory is open land with little cover and ive rarely observed it feeding near to cover, which would make it difficult for an unskilled stalker {me}. I had placed my hide in the only area of cover available. Its possible that placing the bait in an area where the buzzard could not have a clear view around 360% made it a bit to nervous. Im going to try again tomorrow as the weather is going to bright enough for a 2x tc, and place some bait a bit further into the open spaces, and keep my fingers crossed.

With a 2x converter my 500mm lens would give a field of view similar to 650mm in 35mm format, although i have the option of using the 500mm lens with a 1.4tc on 35mm format. Ive only recently bought these TCs and have been very impressed with them at short distances.

Thanks for the advice

Alan,

Something I have read about but not tried. Here in N. California where

I live some photographers tie a dead duck or animal to line on a

fishing pole. They then wait until an eagle has settled into feeding

on the duck and they then slowly start reeling the duck in until the

eagle and the duck are in a more appropriate camera range.

Give it a try!

God's light to you

C

Can you use a different sort of hide that people wouldn't try to remove? It might take a couple of hours to put up something semi-permanent, but that's nothing compared to your waiting time with the camera. I think you need to get the bird accustomed to the hide if you are going to have a chance at a close shot.

Hello Chris,

Thats an interesting idea, and i shall give it a try today {sunday}. Maybe just tugging on the line may attract its attention as well. Ive got nothing to lose. Thanks for that.

Jon, thanks also.

I will give it one more try in this hide today. I also have an old plain green hide which i used in a marshy mudflat area where i lived before. I guess i can risk losing that, and if i get no luck today i will take your advice {probably my best hope with this particular bird}. I think this bird may be more nervous than some, as a lot of clay pigeon shooting happens in this area.

Thanks very much

Just an update,

Ive just returned from another day, cramped up in my hide. NO LUCK.

I couldnt find much of a bait, although i tied a piece of thread to the remains of what looked like a quail and jiggled it about when i heard the buzzard. This attracted numerous magpies down, and i could see the buzzard perched in a tree. I got the impression that he had already eaten as he took no notice. This may be the main problem, as there is so much food around at the moment, so it would likely be pure chance that he would take an interest in my bait.

I think i will put this project on hold until the autumn/winter, when food is more scarce. It would also be safer to leave a hide in place when its subzero, as it would keep many of the dog walkers etc away.

This is probably the quietest time of the year for birds in this area of the UK, as the migrants havent arrived yet, and many of the wintering birds are leaving. Anyway i havent wasted my time attempting to photograph this crafty buzzard, as ive learned a lot about its behavier.

Thanks all, for replying, and Hisham, if can get a shot of this buzzard eventually, that is half as good as your hawk shots, i will be well happy.

Alan

I admire your dedication.

I have watched a buzzard close to my home and rarley see it come down. There are a lot of dead rabbits close to the wood but the remains never seem to go. Have you tried getting a fresh kill and putting it down. You may have a fussy bird that doesn't like old meat.

Let us know how you get on. What part of the UK are in ?

Alan. Could you get them used to something that looks like your hide but which is not valuable in case it gets nicked? A clothes horse with camo cloth over it? Or use this as the hide? Losing £10 worth of gear is not so serious as a hide. Or could you build a ~disposable hide from bent willow sticks with vegetation over it? I have seen similar things in the New Forest but don't know what purpose they serve.

Some people (including me) would regard tying bait to a string and reeling it in as HIGHLY UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR. On the other hand some people go out and shoot birds, which I don't much like either.

Be aware that there may be laws governing such activities which depend on where you are and which species you are doing this to.

Bob,

I had no intention on reeling the buzzard in. I tied a thread to the carcass with the intention of making it move to attract its attention. Had it landed, it would have been free to make up its own mind whether to feed or fly. Had you read the previous remarks of mine, you would have noticed that i was concerned with whether i may have been too close for this species, and today i retreated to almost double the distance with the birds comfort being my first priority. I dont think it was any more unethical than putting peanuts in a red string bag to attract a blue tit. I also made a consious decision not to place bait in the exact same location each time, as i did not want this bird to become dependant on a regular source of food in a precise location. I dont feel that i have altered the behaviour of this bird in the slightest and have already decided to leave well alone until the winter. Im quite certain that this bird is in far more danger from local landowners with their shotguns, or local teenagers with their air rifles, than me with my telephoto lens poking out of my hide.

Hi Andy,

Im in west Cumbria, which is not as highly populated with birds as other areas that ive lived in, in the UK. The area i am in demands the use of a hide, as the open areas have little cover, and the boggy wooded areas hold secretive birds such as woodcock and snipe. This is also hunting country by tradition, but as i hope i explained to Bob, i prefer to "hunt" with my camera {with the birds welfare being my main priority }

All the bait ive used was a day or so old, but ive been observing this buzzard for about two months and it tends to be as fussy as the rooks that it flys with {which isnt very fussy }

All the best

Hi Leif,

Yes, i probably could use some old material and branches etc. The main problem is that this area is very open, with patches of long grass about eighteen inches high. There are a couple of copses with short stumpy trees and very little undergrowth, which tend to attract the public. Most of my photography is done in the boggy and heavily wooded areas where the public do not wander. However, the buzzard does not quarter this area.

It would be great to get a shot of the buzzard, but it is not my normal type of bird subject, and i wont be disappointed if i dont get a shot of it, as its been great to just see this bird at close quarters.

Cheers

Sorry if I came on strong Alan. There was an unfortunate incident on this side of the pond recently with a photographer "tauting" a visiting rare owl with mice on strings, much to the protest of birders present at the site.

So far I've mostly resisted the temptation in "induce" wildlife into posing for me by tricking them with prey or food items. The major exception has been chipmunks living in my garden, but I came to regard them more as friends than wildlife, so giving them the occasional peanut seemed ethical.

There as schools of though that (a) as long as you get the shot you want anything is OK as long as it doesn't directly physically harm the subject and (b) nature photography should be photography of nature, as much as possible excluding any influence of man.

I lean towards the latter, but some very well known names have favored the former (until they got caught doing it and ruined their reputation!). I guess Marty Stouffer is an example when it was revealed that much of his "wild america" series should have been titled "captive america"!

Hi Bob,

No offence taken, and you are quite right to mention the ethics situation, as i had mentioned the word "bait".

It is such a big subject with so many different views that the line is often blurred. Ive always tried to put the birds welfare before the photo, and have often just watched if i felt that the movement of my lens or the noise of my shutter would disturb the bird, even though i may have spent many, many hours in a hide. In one of my folders there is a couple of images of a Great Spotted Woodpecker at the nest. I had moved my hide into position over a few days, and on the day of shooting i decided i would leave my 35mm body at home and use 645 format. Although the parents were going in and out of the nest hole as usual, and although i could certainly have got a good sized image on 645, i decided to retreat and allow them more of a comfort zone and crop the film down to about 35mm size. I have always approached bird photography in this way, and always will. Its always tempting to get a larger image, but i would "always" prefer a smaller image of a comfortable bird, than a big image of an uncomfortable one.

I dont see any problem at all, reminding people {including myself } about the ethics question as standards can drop in this crazy old world that we live in.

Good to hear from you

Alan, could you borrow a tractor or other farm vehicle with a cab?

The buzzards round here have a spook distance of at least 40 m

on open ground, but will let you stop a car much close, and they

ignore agricultural vehicles completely. If you can find a

Lamborgini with cab heater and hi-fi, so much the better :-)

Hello Struan,

That would be a great idea, but i dont want to push my luck with this landowner as he is a bit of a misery, and it took a lot of explaining to get him to allow me free use of his land {having a London accent was a disadvantage in this area }. When i was living in Scotland i was amazed how easily i was able to get permmision to use certain areas {although there was a "right to roam" up there}. Ive never actually noticed any agricultural vehicles on this land as it seems to just be used for grazing sheep, but if the owner has got a tractor, and when he eventually realises that i am not a wealthy southerner, buying up the local property, i might get lucky.

All the best

"...although i tied a piece of thread to the remains of what looked like a quail and jiggled it about when i heard the buzzard."

Wouldn't it be an atypical buzzard to respond to moving food? Here in the US, the buzzards rely to a great deal on their sense of smell. Could be that it smells you and doesn't smell your bait. Your blind should be downwind of the bait and the place it roosts. I think you should study your own prey first before casting out fishing lines.

W.Xacto,

Thanks for your reply, although im not sure if i understand you correctly. If you are saying that buzzards do not go after live prey, but only feed on dead carcasses, then i can clearly tell you that you are wrong regarding Buteo Buteo. Had you read the original posting, you will have noticed that i am not 100% familier with the best way to try photographing this species, which is why i was asking for some advice. Even in the UK, buzzards of the same specie can have different habits in different areas, and yes, i have been observing this particular bird for the last couple of months and reading as much info about them as possible. However i decided to ask advice on Photo Net because it is photographicaly based and i am more likely to get good photographic advice here from people who actually photograph birds.

As for placing a hide downwind from the subject. This is an excellent suggestion for any future attempts, and thanks for that. This is exactly the sort of suggestion i had hoped i would get. I do consider that i have a good knowledge of many UK and migrant birds that i have observed and photographed over the past twenty five years or so, but i have never claimed to know everything about every bird i encounter, which prompted me to ask for advice here.

I hope i did not get the wrong impression regarding your reply, and if i did, i apologise.

Alan,<br>

I hate to bring this up, but have you considered the moral part of it? Baiting has long been frowned upon as a tactic used by photographers (and is even illegal in some places). While the specifics of your case may or may not result in harm or habituation - is it really worth it?

<br><br>

Guy

Hello Guy, nice to hear from you.

Yes, its a serious point, and its a subject that ive struggled with for many years and never found a definative answer to. I like to think i have high ethics, although i believe there will always be someone with higher ones no matter how high mine are. I also think there are many contradictions, even with highly ethical people, and high ethics in some areas may be regarded as low in others.

Regarding this subject, i can honestly say that this is the first time ive used bait, and the bait used was already dead. I would never consider using live bait, but ive contradicted myself already, as i have placed seed and/or nuts on my bird table during harsh winter weather. Although i have done this primarily to help the birds through a difficult period, i guess it could be argued that i am supplying live bait for a passing sparrowhawk, as a byproduct of doing this.

I really dont have an answer as to what would be considered the highest possible ethics by "everyone", and i dont think i ever will, but i have always tried to be as responsible as a situation and circumstances will allow.

It seems to me that the more knowledge i get regarding birdlife, the more difficult it becomes to define the highest ethics.

I like to think that i would never intentionally disturb a nesting bird, but this would require me to NEVER venture into the open countryside in the UK during spring, as every few steps i take will send a meadow pipit/skylark/lapwing/curlew etc into the air. The fact that have the knowledge that this will definately happen {even though i mean no harm}, contradicts the fact that i would not intentionally disturb a ground nesting bird. I dont know if a landscape photographer who has no knowledge about nesting birds in this situation would be regarded as having higher ethics than me. I love the UK countryside and enjoy landscape photography as well, but i dont know if it would be considered unethical of me, by others, to continue to photograph the UK landscape during spring, because i am armed with the full knowledge that as a result of my trips into the countryside i will inevitively be disturbing nesting birds for short periods {maybe the actual time the birds are disturbed would decide how ethical/unethical i was being, but who knows where to draw that line?}

Its very difficult to give a complete view of anyones ethics on forums like this, as we can only give "snapshots" of our views, and are often judged on this small amount of information, often with one sentence or one word being taken out of context. Bearing in mind that this is a worldwide media with vastly different views/circumstances/standards/traditions/languages/ways of life etc etc, i dont think we will ever get get a definative answer that will satisfy everyone.

Thanks very much for your reply

When I first noticed this post, I was under the impression that you were talking of a Turkey Vulture ( Cathartes aura ), which we used to refer to as Buzzards. There's the difference between U.S. and U.K.

I had to agree with one of the other posters, that the Buzzards do indeed love dead and decaying flesh. That they DO have an incredible sense of smell. They have been known to take small rodents and insects occasionally. But, the talons of a Vulture are quite weak compared to say, an eagle. I would love to know what kind of Hawk/buzzard/Buteo Buteo you are attempting to photograph.

I had the opprtunity a few years back to get some great, up close and personal photos of a Vulture in the Cascade Mts of Oregon.

We were driving down the road, we suddenly the air was full of Vultures. We drove around the corner, I got out with my camera and 300mm lense. Being a lifelong outdoorsman, I SLOWLY started stalking

through the woods trying to closer. It had been raing earlier and I noticed one Vulture sitting on a stump dryting itslef in the sun.

Closer to the ground I went. And closer to the Vulture I got.

The results ?? Head and shoulder shots of a Wild Turkey Vulture.

GOOD LUCK w/ your Buzzard !! I'll get the picture of the Vulture up ASAP.

Josh