Photographic Sites in Los Angeles

brian_ellis3

If you have access to Ray McSavaney's book 'Explorations', you'll find lots of interesting places in LA, some of which may or may not be safe to go to alone :-)

He has some very interesting photographs of the underside of the Santa Ana Freeway, Olympic Bridge, and Broadway Bridge. He also made photographs in Bunker Hill.

Lastly, I've seen a bunch of his portraits done on Melrose. Absolutely outstanding.

If you've never seen any of his stuff, I would strongly recommend that you hunt down his book. It's good stuff. An extremely nice individual as well.

Cheers!

-klm.

At the very southern end of Western Blvd. is Royal Palms Beach State Park. You may find some nice things to shoot there especially at the Eastern part of it, that would be to the left of the parking area if you were facing the ocean. Early morning light is nice.

There may be things of interest to you at Mt. Wilson Observatory, besides, the drive up the Angeles Crest Highway is very nice too, through the San Gabriel Mountains. Nice windy road with good banking on the curves (mountains on one side of the road and cliffs, up to a couple thousand feet on the other side). Mt Wilson Rd. is even tighter (a lot tighter, in fact). At the top of Mt. Wilson is a commanding view of the city 6000 ft. below. The various telescopes are interesting so hike around the top.

Up North on the 14 going toward Mojave is Vasquez Rocks State Park (think just about any alien planet on Star Trek, including Vulcan from Star Trek IV), superb rock formations. If you are going soon, as it is Summer, takes LOTS of water with you as it is in the desert.

There are a lot of things happening in LA, these are just a few of my favorite spots.

Do everything you can to dress/look like a stereotypical wide-eyed tourist from Iowa (whatever that is). The goofier the better.

This is a sophisticated city which has hosted the film industry for almost a century. Everyone is very familiar with shooting fees and permits. And they all love �em dearly.

If anyone begins to get even a hint that you know what you are doing with a camera (like a pro), the hands will immediately come out, palms up! Don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man, but I speak from experience.

The Getty will not let you use a tripod.

In addition to the other good suggestions: The new music center, and also the new cathedral are interesting. Union Station is one of my favorites. They used to allow tripods there if you signed a liability release. I don't know if they still follow that practice. The downtown area offers a lot of good opportunities for photographing architecture.

For landscapes, try Zuma Beach, Malibu Creek State Park (they filmed M*A*S*H there!), Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Preserve, and Griffith Park (unfortunately I believe that the observatory there is still under renovation). There are lots of places to hike in mountains in the LA area, and lots of good books on the subject. Most offer good photographic opportunities.

Unfortunately if you are coming soon it has been very hot here lately, smoggy and humid too. (Although not as humid as I remember the midwest in the summer time.)

Brian,

Having lived here all of my life, I heartily agree with the above mentioned locales.

Here's a few more:

The Bradbury Bldg. Restored 1909(?) office bldg in dntn LA - call ahead for days and times. They'll allow a photog above the first floor if you beg and bribe a little. I've done it. It worked. The interior is georgeous with froo-froo iron work, marble floors and an open wrought iron cage elevator.

Descanso Gardens in La Canada-Flintridge.

The Huntington Library in San Marino - wonderful gardens and I think there's an E. W. display on now.

The L. A. Arboritum in Arcadia - Fantasy Island's Victorian house is there - "The plane, boss!"

Heritage Square near Pasadena - Victorian homes. Call ahead.

Carroll Ave - Near Silverlake, Dntn LA - Blocks full beautiful of Victorian homes. While there go to the Tiki Bar in Silverlake, Not photogenic, just good drinks.

As mentioned - one of my favorites - Vasquez Rocks - an easy drive north of L. A.

Crystal Cove in Laguna - a long drive south (70+? miles). Now under control of Calif. Parks - It was the playground of the stars in the teens and twenties. Old beach homes. Wooden plank sidewalks on the sand. Rotting shingles. Great stuff there. I'm going back.

Union Station has surley security lately so call ahead and get permission. You'll be able to shoot the interior of the station. But not the track areas. Afterwards, walk across the street to the corner at Ord St. Have lunch at Phillipe's - the oldest operating resturant in LA - home of the beef dip - sawdust on the floor. Communial dining tables. Great place!

I've made myself want to go back to these places myself. Call me. We'll go. You drive.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Regards.

-Steve

Venice Beach is my favorite place to photograpy. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. To my mind one of the great strengths of S. Cal is its cultural diversity. Hence, I try to get out to various "towns," for example China Town. E. LA is wonderful. I find that there are good photo ops wherever you look.

Have fun,

Joe S.

A great day trip I just took was up to Ventura and across by boat to the Channel Islands, which have been in the national park service for a comparitively short time. Looks strangely like Scotland - barren hills, lots of hiking, ocean scenery. It does involve a full day as you can get a boat out in the morning and return to ventura in the afternoon. Check out the web site if you're interested.

Artie Kapell

Yet another possibility that fool with sometimes when I am in LA is some of the funky

fun restaurant buildings .... a drive through donought, the Tail of the Pup, a cider

barrel, etc. Oh yeah and the oldest surviving Big Boy Restaurant.

If you will be in town on the 26th and 27th, you may want to take the Gold Line (light rail system) that runs from Union Station in Los Angeles to the Eastern edge of Pasadena.

Ridership on these two days will be free to all.

Each station and locale, from Union Station in L.A., China Town and Old Pasadena will provide you with an abundance of photographic opportunities.