Photographic Message and body language

When we read a written form of language we visually understand and

perceive it. We also identify the human body language through visual

noticing its movements, posture and gesture. These three

characteristic's send messages signaling various physical, mental, or

emotional states, via the movements or attitudes of the body.

For my project I have chosen 5 photographs for you all to look at...

Your feedback of the photographic message you receive from the body

language in each of the five separate images will be a great help in

my research..

The images are here....http://www.cmmedia.co.uk/archive.htm

Thank you

John

Hi John,

I have not looked at your photos yet because my dial up connection is too slow and I have no time, sorry.

I think body language is something that moves, as any language moves, it is not fixed. Photos are fixed, perhaps you could apply the question of body language to video easier, since it moves.

What I may or may not have infered from your photos on an empirical scale may represent some kind of statistic. Good luck with your research.

Cheers.

Hi John,

Image 1. Young man standing outside Manchester Metropolitan ? University grounds using cell phone. Looking towards camera and

appearing to be comfortable in his surroundings, possibly a student.

The photo is not level with cars and the road behind. Interesting blue plaque on the wall of the building behind. Looks like typical british weather, I can almost smell the traffic fumes. The bottom of the blue post beside the guy is grimey, very English looking. The moss on the stonework below the wrought iron fence is a good contrast to the blue sign. The image is like a snap of a friend or possibly yourself outside the University.

Image 2. Better photo, street style shot of a girl taking a break from the city, enjoying her book and the fizzy Lucozade ? in her mouth. The large gold striped trash can (dust bin) looks like London and again, the green mossy colour of the stonework on the left looks like England. Group of people behind girl talking as people do.

A guy standing by the shopfront in the background,seems to be alone and waiting. Better level than photo 1. more dynamic interest.

Image 3. Overweight bald businessman sitting on the left side of a group of public service seats, possibly a bus station or airport. The light appears to be natural, so I think it is outside. The floor infront of him has been designated a wet floor area and as such the man is safer sitting down. he appears to be eating a small spherical object. There is another person out of frame, the left hand just visible holding a piece of travel luggage in the resting position.

Interesting angle of view from the high left side.

Image 4. Young man walking briskly accross a mall or similar area, possibly the same area as in photo 3. since the floor tiles are the same size and type. Camera levels way off, the man appears to be concerned about his business. He is carrying a newspaper in the left hand, and a box of some sort in his right hand, maybe lunch.

In the foreground a person is glancing at the man with right hand held to face, as if puzzled, maybe on a cell phone. The photo is blerred and the shutter speed is too slow to freeze the image clearly.

Image 5. Two young women crossing a street quickly one after the other, probably together. Again the camera has blurred the shot and there is movement, the camera levels are good. The yellow traffic cone in the middle of the road probably means London or Manchester, as would match to Photo 1. The girls are probably students, they appear to be full of life. Once agaon there is a green mossy residue on the road in the distance, so typical of old England. The fashions of the women seem to be relaxed and casual whilst comfortable. Probably the most blurred of the three photos, slow shutter speed again.

Ok?

As I understand it, most body language is non-vocalised communication and happens

when we are interacting with others. The photos you have selected show people who are

not interacting with anyone - in at least two instances they are being private - and so

body language is minimal (and a lot of body language is to do with movement and as you

have used stills...)

I feel you would get much better results if you used photographs in which people were

interacting. There would be a lot more non-vocal communication going on and we would

have more information to work with.

I understand what you are trying to do but I believe you need to re-think your approach.

PS Are you studying at Manchester Met? If you are, is Paul Blatchford still there?