Photographer wins maximum copyright penalty

movingfinger

<p>Frankly the number in that article I'm more disturbed and saddened over is the 250,000 Haitians that died in the 2010 earthquake. I had no idea all this time.</p>

<p>As an aside away from my moralistic soap box I found this statement quoted from the article quite confounding...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Joshua Kaufman, a lawyer for AFP, blamed the infringement on an innocent mistake and said the Twitter user who posted the photos without attribution bore responsibility for the error.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now how long have these photography brokers been in business to not know they must thoroughly check their sources especially in the copyright department? Are we dealing with professionals here or a fly by night operation?</p>

<p>Just curious but is Getty Images and other well connected, long standing media brokers just acting as passive media hosting sites accepting any old photo or video someone uploads to their servers like some smugmug or flickr site? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just curious but is Getty Images and other well connected, long standing media brokers just acting as passive media hosting sites accepting any old photo or video someone uploads to their servers like some smugmug or flickr site?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wonder the same thing, Tim. If they have been doing that, I suspect they won't be doing it in the future. Not to the tune of 1.2 million.</p>

<p>What I would want to know is if he actually ever sees any money and when that would happen. I've never seen a follow up story of an award actually being paid. You would think the media companys would just use their lawyers (who are always on retainer) to just appeal and appeal while the plaintiff grows old, poor and finally dies. </p>

Let's say he gets 50%. You have a problem with that? Let's say he gets 25% do you have a problem with that? Let's say

he ends up with 10% of the judgement. Do you have a problem with that? Or let's say the court also awards legal and

court costs to the plaintiff and he gets $1.2M but donates 50% to Haitian rebuilding fund. Do you have a problem with that?

Or do you just think people should roll over and get kicked like a dog owned by a vicious master? Is that how you think

people should go through life?

<p>Ellis, <br>

Don't understand the point of your question. Nothing I read in any comment or posted in my comment gives any indication that anyone thinks that people should roll over and be kicked like a dog. </p>

<p>My question was how many judgements against rich and/or powerful organizations are actually paid. I would be interested in knowing, I really would. There were no implications or hidden insinuations in my post. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>eric m, it helps to communicate clearly to others in a discussion if you offered complete sentences and more than one just for clarity. One liners on such a heavy and important subject is a waste of a good thread discussion IMO.</p>

<p>Say what you mean, eric, and use as many words as you can to communicate it. Don't worry, we'll read it.</p>

Here is a first rate of what are likely the true costs of Morel vs. Getty Images and Agencies France Presse:

http://www.jeremynicholl.com/blog/2013/11/29/the-real-cost-of-copyright-theft-for-agence-france-presse-and-getty-

images-9m-and-trashed-reputations/

And considering the way both AFP and Getty treated Morel my "dog being kicked by vicious master" analogy was mild.