Photographer Striped Of Award

Photographer Stripped of Award

Perhaps not having someone else press the shutter button on selfie photos up for awards and using a wireless remote shutter with timer could save some embarrassing grief. :( But it's may camera. :oops: Sorry, still no. :mad:But what if I am a professional photographer and my paid assistant pressed the shutter button. Hmmm, still no, and you should know better. o_O This isn't a monkey took the photo with my camera story. :confused:

Link

Edited by Mark Keefer
  • Like 1
Cheers, Mark

Thanks for sharing! The article and especially the comments underneath - including those by Clancy Debbler Davies - are illuminating.

To what extent William Corbett really made 'creative decisions' as opposed to competently operating a camera based on feedback from Clancy Debbler Davies, who knows? From her comments she has on-set witnessses in her favor.

On the other hand - despite the fact that the photographer was recommended by friends - she should have tied up the 'image ownership and copyright' issues in the contract with William Corbett. This would have avoided the discussion. A hard lesson to learn.

It's possible the BJP withdrew the award so as not to become involved in legal twists.

FWIW, I can't imagine still and especially film/video camera operators in many similar situations claiming 'ownership rights' when they worked under various layers of 'directors'.

The concept of 'who pressed the button is the author' is outdated but stiĺl the default. A good example of the need to nail down the ownership and copyright issues via contracts.

• Like 1

I once entered in a NYC contest a photo I shot in my name and a second photo I shot but submitted in my wife's name. They only allowed one photo submission per person. The one my wife "submitted" won - it came in second in the whole show. My "submission" lost entirely. I had to drag my wife down to the awards ceremony since her name was listed of course. So there we were at the awards ceremony with people asking her what settings she used, film, etc. It was all sort of embarrassing and funny. My wife was pissed.

Here's her winning entry.

Swan in Autumn

• Like 4

I'm not sure why it has resurfaced.

Ok, should I let it go. o_O :oops: I can't....Oh, what was I thinking, bringing up a photography related subject on Casual Photo Conversations. I guess photography and cameras have been discussed to death too on these forums over the last 30 years. So that's out. :confused: Forgive me, I did a search for Clancy Gebler Davies, nothing came up on PN. :mad: Rats, nothing came up. But I should have checked with you first, John. Please forgive me. Can I get your mobile number, I can put it on speed dial.....:p

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

Allen I think ‘she’ did a very nice job on that photo. Please tell her I am impressed. As for the subject at hand, based on what I read I think she is the one who created this image and Corbett was really just a basic technician. The problem with all of this is that it is turning into such a big pi$$ing contest that when it’s over nothing have been decided and only two people will care while everyone else will have gotten tired of the fuss and won’t care.

Rick H.

Please forgive me.

To be fair, I think the latest report refers to the picture actually being disqualified. The February article was more about the initial complaint by the second photographer. I was just flagging it up in case members wanted to refer to the earlier discussion.

Allen I think ‘she’ did a very nice job on that photo. Please tell her I am impressed. As for the subject at hand, based on what I read I think she is the one who created this image and Corbett was really just a basic technician. The problem with all of this is that it is turning into such a big pi$$ing contest that when it’s over nothing have been decided and only two people will care while everyone else will have gotten tired of the fuss and won’t care.

Rick H.

Thanks. I'll let her know. ;)