Photographer is not giving me my wedding photos after agreement!!! Please help :(

iv_cali

<p>Good evening everyone,<br>

I have a big of a problem dealing with unpro photographer.. I attended college with a person that I asked to take the pictures of my wedding. In the beginning he seemed to be a cool guy and I saw how hard he was trying to get everyone to work in the college. I knew that he has some of the equipment to take some good shots and I saw that he made some good ones on his facebook webpage (several). I made an offer for him texting him on Facebook if he would be interested to make an easy 100$ in 3 hours. He asked whats the job so I said it right away to take pictures of my wedding. He said he has never taken any pictures of the wedding and he is not experienced enough to do so. I said that it doesnt matter to me, I just need this event to be photographed that my wife and I could remember it and we could send out some pictures to her family and my family whom couldn't attend the wedding because it happened in another side of the world (US, California). I said I just need to take the pictures, I dont need editing because I didnt want to put more work on his head because the guy is working 40 hours at the starbucks to make a living for himself. So I decided to give him an opportunity to make some additional money. At the beginning he didnt want to do it because he was scared of it and he wasn't experienced enough but again I repeated myself that it doesn't matter how its gonna go for him because he is not a pro and I just need someone to take the pictures and because he has some of the equipment he could just take the shots and it doesn't matter how its gonna turn out. I also said that it will be a great experience for him to develop his photography skills since he never took any of the wedding shots. So finally he agreed on it. We set up the time that we could go to the place to practice for a little bit, I said I expect only one shot that I wanted to be specific on because the place was by the fountain with palm trees with a view to the mountains and the rest of them would be good as he'll get. So we met that day, he practiced for a little bit just to see of what he can get out of it and we were done till the wedding date. I said I could edit the pictures by myself but he refused it because thats his work and he wants to do everything or at least a part of it and I repeated myself again that even RAW material will satisfy my needs and I wont touch it. He agreed on facebook to this also. In addition, some people from the college were coming there too and I told him that you are coming as a friend also because we know many people who are attending the wedding and he can also coming to have fun. He also agreed on it. The wedding went smooth, he took in my opinion around 1000 photos ( I know for sure that it was a lot of them). After the wedding was done I gave him a 100$ and he said he will let me know when he will be ready. He also said that he'll edit some of them and the rest of them he will give me unedited in the cd or he'll transfer it to USB flash drive. After a day I asked him on facebook his opinion of how long it will take to do some pictures? He said that it will take him 1-2 weeks to do the work. After a day he posted 1 picture with me and my wife eating a cake which turned out to be a beautiful picture and I was very excited to see more. I text him after 2 weeks how is he doing with pictures, he answered to me like this...... Hey I had concerts for 2 weeks so he barely did some work... I said I understand, but when I can expect them because I have to say something to my family because everyone is keep asking to me about the pictures... He said I need some more time... Well I was like its okey, its just 2 weeks and he was busy so Ill text him after a week.. A week later... I text him the same thing, Hey Name, how is it going with pictures? He didn't respond... I repeated myself after a day... Hey Name, How is it going with pictures? He answered... Man Im working 40 hours a week I have to make money for myself to eat... I was in shock... I just ask how is it going with pictures and he is answering to me the whole story of his life... After a week again I texted the same thing... Because its been more than 5 weeks... no response... I repeated myself again... no response...So I told my wife to text him... She asked the same thing.. Finally he responded on Facebook, Hey, the pictures are ready. Some of them are ready and edited and everything else is a RAW material we can somehow meet up and you can pick them up at any time. So my wife asked him about the time and the place where we could meet to get them... After this message never got a response... After couple days I got his number and I texted him on his cellphone, Hey Name, when can we pick up the pictures because my wife told me that they are ready and he was dealing mainly with me but he responded to her and I just want to know when can we pick them up... The guy responded like this... Now Im on vacation so Im looking for the best way to give them to you and I dont respond well to rude messages.. What did I say so rude? There was nothing at all what possibly even would sound rude.. I said what kind of best way? Because we need them to make an albums for guests and families and they are bugging us so bad because my wives family is a bit interesting and her mom is picking on us so I just want to know... He answered to me like this... So you have to pick good people in your life... Than I said you know what? You are rude and I want to get of what we agreed on and because I paid for it right after the wedding! He said like this, if you'll be rude there is nothing preventing not to give you the pictures at all... Now I'm lost at all... I didn't even respond... Im just missing words and I dont know what should I do... I have the whole conversation on facebook of what we agreed on but there was no written contract... Only facebook conversation and (verbal, oral) agreement in a front of my wife. She read all the messages and there was nothing rude of what I said just all the time wondering about when he will be done with pictures! Is Facebook conversation is enough to sue him? And show that he was very disrespectful to my families? I didnt repeat exactly of what he said but it was so mean and offensive and in the end of the conversation over the cellphone he said there is nothing preventing not to give pictures at all... Is enough for the proof to prove that there was an oral agreement? And get my wedding pictures? They are so important because we also have to go through immigration process and they will be asking for the pictures as well... The stress that he is giving to us... Offended both families by saying mean things like you have to pick right people in your life? (which doesn't make sense at all because how can you pick families?) Please give some kind of advice that would work to grab his ass and prove that he is completely wrong and that we could get the pictures :(<br /><br /></p>

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>You are not going to like my response, but I'll be very honest with you: you got exactly what you paid for. Next time, hire a professional, and sign a proper contract. Of course, it will cost you more (a lot more), but then at least you will have a proper foundation to complain. Right now, your complaints make no sense whatsoever. You complain this guy isn't acting professional. Well, guess what: he is not a professional, and you knew that all along. He even did not want this job, remember?</p>

<p>You convinced him to take a job he really did not want to do. You pay him very little money for it. He rightly insists to edit his own photos before delivering them to you - so the $100 never was for 3 hours of work, it's a lot more work. Plus the time he took to prepare with you. Let's say, it's $100 for 10-12 hours. Basically, you forced him to work for very little money with no contract.<br>

And now you treat him like he must deliver to you first, while you knew upfront that 1) he is no professional, 2) he already has a fulltime job, and 3) you never made any agreements on when the photos had to be delivered. You complain about the disrespect he showed your family. But you should ask yourself how much respect you showed him.</p>

<p>You can really only blame yourself. You've got nothing to "grab his ass" and he isn't wrong. You do not need legal advice, there is nothing to sue about.<br>

My take? Try being polite with him, tell him you really need some photos for the immigration service and that you'll be happy to pay for the efforts he is putting into editing the photos, if that can help a more speedy delivery. Apologise for pushing him all the time. Tell him you understand he has a full time job, and that he too needs holiday every now and then, but that this immigration thing is giving you stress, and you took it out on him, which is wrong. Sincere apologies, and a sincere amount of money worth of his efforts.</p>

<p>My take on the situation as described:</p>

<p>You have formed an informal contract with an acquaintance, and there appears to be sufficient evidence to make the contract enforceable by law.</p>

<p>If you don't get anywhere over the next acceptable time period, you can send him a registered letter outlining the sequence of events as they've occurred and give him 10 days to reply in the affirmative; in the alternative, you will make a claim through legal channels (small claims court), or you can pay an attorney to write this letter but it'll cost some money (about $200 in my area) which you can add to your claim.</p>

<blockquote><p>You are not going to like my response, but I'll be very honest with you: you got exactly what you paid for. Next time, hire a professional, and sign a proper contract. Of course, it will cost you more (a lot more), but then at least you will have a proper foundation to complain. Right now, your complaints make no sense whatsoever. You complain this guy isn't acting professional. Well, guess what: he is not a professional, and you knew that all along. He even did not want this job, remember?</p>

<p>You convinced him to take a job he really did not want to do. You pay him very little money for it. He rightly insists to edit his own photos before delivering them to you - so the $100 never was for 3 hours of work, it's a lot more work. Plus the time he took to prepare with you. Let's say, it's $100 for 10-12 hours. Basically, you forced him to work for very little money with no contract.<br>

And now you treat him like he must deliver to you first, while you knew upfront that 1) he is no professional, 2) he already has a fulltime job, and 3) you never made any agreements on when the photos had to be delivered. You complain about the disrespect he showed your family. But you should ask yourself how much respect you showed him.</p></blockquote>

<p>That's a bit harsh. No one forced this joker to photograph their wedding. He made a choice. I don't know what the answer is, but if I didn't get my photo's out of him, I'd trash his reputation any way I legally could.</p>

<p>Try approaching him through a common friend. Maybe even offer him an extra 100 bucks if you could just get the raw unedited files.</p>

<p>Also, contact guests at your wedding and request them to send you any pics they took on their cameras, phones, tablets etc. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>IV, what you are dealing with is a young Gen Y entitlement brat who has no respect for authorities nor the establisment and cannot follow protocal self absorbing hippies who thinks being a team member at Starbucks yelling out Grande Venti Late Mocah double no cream is his purpose in life who is destined to run this country in the future.</p>

<p>Bascially, he's just a guy who cannot handle pressure like your earlier multiple text. All he has to do is to dumb the files onto a USB/DVD and meet with you. And that's hard for him to do. So you can make it easy on him by offering to meet him at his work place at certain time. Have a "let's be friend" chat with him and forget about all those legal mumbo jumbo becasue we all know how well that works on people like him.</p>

<p>I tend to agree with Wouter although the person involved should be making more effort to live up to expectations he establishes or explaining why they can't be met. We can all agree to that and, sure, the issue can be enforced legally if needed but lets put it in perspective. After pushing the guy to do something he didn't want to do, with all the extra work ect, for a paltry hundred bucks, I suggest to change the attitude towards this guy, make nice with him and give him a reason to want to produce the results more quickly.</p>

<p>Also, all the relevant information entire original post should have been condensed to, at least, a quarter of what it is. Its a real pain to read something that drags on like that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>you can pay an attorney to write this letter but it'll cost some money (about $200 in my area) which you can add to your claim.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That may be so in your country but recovering attorney fees in the U.S. generally requires special statutory authority on the subject or including it in the relevant contract. Most unlikely here.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>although the person involved should be making more effort to live up to expectations he establishes or explaining why they can't be met</p>

</blockquote>

<p>John, agreed. Based on the OPs story, the photographer is moving slow. The extend to which the OP is pushing him (which would also make me slow down if it was a $100 on the side shoot) isn't clear, and with no agreement in place on when the job ought to be finished, I should judge that point more mildly. In this respect, I've been too harsh probably.<br /> Otherwise, yes, my judgement is harsh, but really, I can see no single point whatsoever for the OP to sue his friend for. You seriously cannot say "<em>No one forced this joker to photograph their wedding</em>", after reading this:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>At the beginning he didnt want to do it because he was scared of it and he wasn't experienced enough but again I repeated myself that it doesn't matter how its gonna go for him because he is not a pro and I just need someone to take the pictures and because he has some of the equipment he could just take the shots and it doesn't matter how its gonna turn out. I also said that it will be a great experience for him to develop his photography skills since he never took any of the wedding shots. So finally he agreed on it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The OP forced more than enough, and really shouldn't play the innocent victim now. Maybe the other guy isn't acting properly either, but we have only one side of the story, and the story sounds extremely biased. So, calling somebody else a "joker" or a "young Gen Y entitlement brat who has no respect for authorities nor the establisment" based on a highly single-sided story isn't exactly winning prizes either.</p>

<p>Being nice to the OP because he is a member here, since today (with one post and nothing else), and trashing the reputation of some other guy, basically because he's not a member here? Sorry, never knew signing up here got me this kind of unconditional forgiveness too.</p>

<p>Looks like my attempt at humor was lost in my previous post. I bet the actual situation was and ultimate resolution will be much simplier than what was proposed here. I have worked with people like that when all I needed was for that guy to push a few buttons to get me some data dump. And I had to schedule appointments with them for those precious minutes of their time. These could be last gen growups or Gen Y newbies. There are people like that so I do doubt this is who the OP encountered.</p>

<p> </p>

"I have a big problem dealing with unpro photographer.." Well, there it is right there.

You offered $100 for three hours of around 1000 photos and thought that to be "easy money".

I assume that the place where the wedding was with the palm trees and fountain and mountains was a lot more.

It sounds to me like you seriously sucked this guy into something that he was in no way equipped to handle and offered

him a super low ball figure to cheap out, and now it's all a big fail and can't get resolved. Good luck!

<p>I think basically at this point it would be best to apologize sincerely and say that the photographer can take their time on the editing phase and if desired, you can compensate financially for the extra time spent on editing as long as you get the pictures in ca. 2 months. I think to newcomer in wedding photography, the amount of work in the editing phase is bewildering and pride may prevent him from giving unedited files to you (as it should be to any self-respecting photographer). What you paid for is basically akin to giving bread crumbs to a slave. The manner of recruitment was such that you basically brought this upon yourself; he was repeatedly unwilling to do it but it sounds like you essentially harrassed him into doing it. And you continued to harrass him about giving the pictures before he feels he is ready. Which is why I think the apology is most urgently needed. I'm assuming the OP is sincere in this story.</p>

<p>The best way to get your pictures? pay him money for them, tell him you'll give an extra $100-150 for copies of <em>all</em> the pics (edited or not - doesn't matter), you can give him the USB stick to put them on, while laying out $20s in front of him. When he brings back a full stick, he gets to keep the money. No worries, no stress, no <strong>criticism</strong>, no lawyers.</p>

<p>Cheaper and easier for you, no further work for him... a win win, and for a cool $250 you got wedding pics.... that's a heckuva deal, even if they suck.</p>

<p>If it IS legit, here's the cardinal rule ... speed, quality, price: Pick two, you cannot have all three. </p>

<p>I'm sure the photographer had no idea how much work is involved <em>after</em> a wedding shoot. That breeds seething resentment and a feeling of being talked into it, and bugging him just pours gas on the open flame. </p>

<p>I reviewed the whole conversation. I showed it to some people, 5-5 people said that I was patient enough of how the deal was made. In the conversation was nothing mean of what I said to him at all. Delightful and happy mood before the wedding. I dont want to post the whole conversation because he might find it online this conversation as well. But Ill give you the beginning of it of how it was to show you that I did not force him and he agreed right away.<br>

Me:<br />Hey Name! I have couple questions for you! Are you gonna be in town on July 6th? Would you like to make 100$ for several hours of easy job? <br />Photographer:<br />What's the job?<br>

Me:<br />Be a photographer for like 5 hours? Its for my wedding :)<br />Photographer:<br />Of course I would! I've never photographed a wedding before though. If you'd rather hire someone with more experience, I'd understand.<br />Me:<br />I dont want anyone else:) I know that you like taking pictures and I would like you to do it because I know you do it well:) If you are free at that date I would appreciate your help a lot:) You'll get some experience from this and a little bit of money:) plus food is included and some very cool people are coming like Dr.Frog Dr. Butterfly, some girls will be there also :)) I think should be fun:) So if you are interested I would be very happy:) I just need to know for sure because it is very important date in my life:)<br />Photographer:<br />I will mark my calendar.<br /><br />And so on and so on. Never said anything bad and that shows that I didn't force him to get in to this! Also, in the conversation he agreed to the price and that he would be delivering pictures within 1-2 weeks. Also in our conversation he agreed not to post any of the pictures unless I approve!<br /><br />Me:<br />Wednesday works perfectly to me. What time would work the best for you and how and where should we meet? Like I said I could pick you up from somewhere and we could start from there? The only reason I said that we could transfer it to my computer because I didnt want you to work to much but if you'll do the editing and stuff like that so I wont need to do it and you can definitely keep them and you can use them for your future projects for your photography Just some of the pictures can't be posted because of the safety of other people because there might be some people from military so I wouldn't like that their identity would be posted somewhere in public or internet. Ill let you know further info about it on wednesday. Does that sound cool?<br />Photographer:<br /></p>

<p>I wont post anything unless you approve it, I just don't want you to have to go through 3000-4000 photos. Haha. I'll edit the best ones and send you my main shots, and then I can send you any unedited shots you still want.</p>

<p>Any time will work for me. Maybe some time around when the ceremony will be taking place so I can get an idea of what the light will be like.<br /><br />So he even agreed not to post any of the pictures unless I approve it! Guess what he did, he posts couple pictures of me and my wife without me approving it!!! <br /><br />In any part of conversation I haven't used any bad language words, any of statements that could offend him or anything like that! <br /><br />In addition, he hasn't worked even for 3 hours, the wedding helper agreed on the timing that he worked less than even 2 hours! Conversation shows that I never forced him, and I offered to transfer pictures to my computer right after the wedding. And I paid him right away and he took the money. As well he agreed to deliver our pictures in 1-2 weeks in a front of my wife! The deal was made and he agreed on it!!! It wasn't even like I said in the beginning.. Sorry for the confusion.. Than in the end I gave him more time that he asked for! And than more time after ME asking Hey Name, How is it going with pictures? :) No response for 2 days... I repeated the same thing without smile.. Never got response... Than like I said before he responded to my wife that the pictures are ready and we can pick them up at any time. She tried to ask him when we can come by, and he again never responded back. So I got his cell and said like this..<br /><br />ME:<br />Hey name, my wife told me that the pictures are ready so Im wondering when we could pick them up.. <br />Do you guys see anything mean in this message above? <br />Photographer:<br />Now Im on vacation etc. etc. and I dont respond well to rude messages..

<br />Never said anything rude.. After that I asked same questions about pictures that I want to know when I possibly could get them because our families are getting on us! So than he offended all the sides! And how not to be mean for this guy? But I kept calm explaining everything.. And instead of getting his explanations I got rude answers and he was calling me a Jackass for him being rude to me basically! but stating that Im being rude to him.. I Never said anything rude.. Than he threatens not give the pictures at all.. <br />Thats how I ended it and I asked that maybe my wife would be able to talk to him. We will see where we stand today. Im sorry that I can't give the whole conversation there are some important details about our agreement that I want to keep for the lawyer next week because it will be not just the case for the pictures but some things more. Im going to get a legal advice next week, and if you could provide me with some more information based on of what I gave you already, I would very appreciate it! Thank you! </p><br />

For some absurd reason Cali, you seem to think that we should all be sucked into this drama of your $100 wedding

through a Facebook arrangement. You now indicate in your vast amount of writing that you secured an attorney to

handle this $100 booking. OK, so then you're all set, they will advise you accordingly.

<p>All that matters here are that you get your pictures. If you threaten to sue or upset him to much he might delete all the images and then you will never be able to get your images. <br /><br />Treat this guy with the utmost respect and even have your wife contact him in all future conversations. In the first instance have her contact him asking for a time and place where she can pick up the photos as her family are waiting to see them. <br /><br />Do what ever it takes to get your images, then and only then once you have all the images then you can tell him what you think of him.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am sorry this has all blown up on you. However, just how well did you know this guy ? Why did you want to risk such and important event on some dude with a camera and no experience ? Why do you think contacting a lawyer, at $300 an hour to work on a $100 contract is going to go anywhere ? If there was no written contract, there can't be a breach of contract. If you simply sue for damages, that's going to be $100. Go to small claims court. I do feel for you, really. You got hosed in the deal. But, some of the above posters could probably see this coming a mile away. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>He probably told you 1-2 weeks because he had not done a wedding before & didn't know how much time it really takes. Yes, its his fault for give you that timeframe, but I think maybe all your texts asking him about the photos bothered him & he feels pressured. I'd quit asking about it for now, you can wait awhile longer. I know the family is bugging you, just say it takes time to get the photos back & you don't need to tell the photographer that your family is waiting.<br /><br />What I would do is mail him a note apologizing if you were rushing him or pressuring him & that you are happy to wait for him to complete the photos. Maybe give him a gift card to somewhere you know he likes to go? I usually say a coffee gift card - all those long hours, but since he works there maybe not that! In the note thank him for his time at the wedding, etc. You can provide your mailing address there & just ask him to mail them to you. No worrying about meeting up & it won't matter what part of the world he's in, there's always a post office or fedex/ups somewhere nearby.<br /><br />Also, although he agreed to the price, that is very low. I think if you have the money you should pay him more than $100. I wouldn't say anything until you actually have the photos, go through them, etc. How long was he there for?</p>