Photo recovery Software, Jpegsnoop 1.5.2.

<p>Not so much a question but to add to photo.net’s general knowledge database. <br /><br />My attention was drawn to Jpegsnoot through a short article on a IT/computer magazine’s website. It was simply described as a tool to examine whether a picture had been altered. As a sideline the possibility was mentioned to check for jpg errors and to correct these. Since I have a few corrupted files due to a harddrive problem I tried the program and with good results. RAW files that could not be opened with DPP<br />(or other programs) could be repaired and saved as TIFF. <br /><br />Questions about repairing corrupted files show up every now and then on photo.net but they hardly ever get a really satisfying response. Jpegsnoot is rarely mentioned so I thought I’d bring it up. I assume that not every picture can be repaired but it is worth a try if you’re facing problems with files. (BTW, I’m not<br />affiliated with the program or it’s maker in any way). <br /><br />The next picture is a jpg copy of a corrupted file.</p>

<p>It looks like a great little program, and I will likely find uses for it. However, from a quick read of the developer's website, it seems that JPG repair requires one to either send the corrupted image to the developer or be quite knowledgeable about bit level editing of files, the internal structure of JPG files, etc.. I could be wrong, but I didn't see any sort of automated repair facility in the program. Is this correct?</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

• 5 months later...
<p>thanks Tom, I have read page I follow the steps but my repaired image is saved an 160x120 resolution. After that I try to re-size with CS4 to a higher res (640x....) but image is very distortion. I want to ask if this JPEGsnoop can repair photo when I saved the picture have a minimum 640 resolution? Thanks again</p>

<p>thanks Tom, I have read page I follow the steps but my repaired image is saved an 160x120 resolution. After that I try to re-size with CS4 to a higher res (640x....) but image is very distortion. I want to ask if this JPEGsnoop can repair photo when I saved the picture have a minimum 640 resolution? Thanks again</p>

<p>First, can you tell us everything you know about the file you began with. Without such info, we are just guessing. </p>

<p>That being said, I'm quite sure that this program does not have the capability to resize an image, ie, change the number of pixels. That leads me to believe that the image you started with only had 160x120 pixels that it could work with. This might be because that was indeed the true size of your image, or because that was the size of a small embedded thumbnail, and that was all it could find.</p>

<p>As you discovered, up-rez'ing any image from 160x120 by such a large factor (eg, to 640 x 480?) is not likely to be satisfactory. </p>

<p>HTH,</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>One example: Width 1536pixel, Height 2048pixel,Horizontal resolution 300dpi, Vertical resolution 300dpi, Bit Depth 24, Frame count 1, Equipment Nokia6303i, Color representation sRGB. This is the photo recovered with Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery 4.0.<br>

After I open with JPEGsnoop Zoom is 12,5%, I find the optimal Embeded (ctrl+2), this is 160x120 export the JPEG </p>