Photo Ops in Memphis TN

terry_carter

I'm going to be in Memphis the last weekend of the month with time to

kill while my wife is attending a cat show. Are there any good photo

ops in the greater Memphis area or even north Mississippi? Also, how

about a good camera shop to visit? Thanks in advanc

Terry--Memphis has quite a nice zoo, but if you are willing to drive a little, Reelfoot Lake in NW Tennessee is often listed as one of the prime nature photography destinations in the Midwest. I haven't been there yet, but spring has been early and green in this part of the country, so it might be a great oppportunity. Search the web for more on it.

I agree with Curt on both points. However, I've personally found Reelfoot pretty hard to shoot - you have to cover a lot of ground to get more than one location. This is probably just me and someone else will, I'm sure, have some favorite locations. You're probably too late to shoot the Bald eagles there.

I've never shoot the zoo in Memphis and have wondered how photographer friendly the location is myself. I'd be interested in hearing more about that myself.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Beale street is doing pretty well, and has some great signage at night. Better police presence down there than there used to be, so I wouldn't worry too much about being robbed. Panhandled maybe, but not robbed.

During the day, there are some beautiful buildings downtown especially if you get creative and take advantage of the parking garages to shoot from. Several older buildings around downtown including the federal building. Hang a nice camera around your neck, wear a photo vest and walk around like you belong and no one should bother you.

Close to downtown is an old abandoned brewery. Hollywood has shot a couple of movies there and the structure looks scary, but it's pretty safe. You'll have to tresspass to get in, but if you are the adventurous sort, you can get some great shots. (If you like that sort of thing.) Really good B&W stuff during the winter months when the lighting is just right.

Memphis is known for having plenty of trees and the dogwoods should still be in bloom later this week. Drive around and take a gander.

Some good swamp land shots down I55 towards Batesville, MS (40 min.) Also close to Natchez Trace Parkway which is nice in the spring and fall.

If you like streetscapes, check out Nashville which is about 4 hours away.

Check out Homefolks in Batlett for good used equipment. They're nice people.

Also Ed's camera shop in mid-town.

For good processing and friendly advice go to Dixie Color Lab near Univ. of Memphis. Great folks there too! Very helpful!

G'luck!