Photo ops and gear in Kerala India?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by graham_martin|2, Jun 15, 2012.

1. My wife and I have been invited to a wedding in November in the southwestern Indian state of Kerala. We will be there from 10 -14 days and will be staying as guests of a local family who will also be driving us around.

Does anyone have photographic experiences in this part of India in terms of wedding ceremonies (this will be a Christian wedding) wildlife and must-see places to go?

My wife always makes fun of me for the amount of photo gear that I take when we travel. I'm going to do my best to control myself. I will bring my D3 and D300. The lenses I am thinking of bringing are a 28-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8 + 1.4 TC. I do have an ultrawide 18mm and a Nikon 400mm f/5.6 Ai-S. I'm not sure if I should take the 400mm or not. Apparently our host will be taking is to see some wild elephants.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome.
    BTW, I am in my mid-sixties with a bum knee that will preclude me from any strenuous activity.

2. November should be dry and in the midst of Indian winter. Days would be shorter. India is colourful and a wedding is always full of photo opportunities. Although, I do have to admit that a Hindu or Sikh wedding seem to carry more colour! Do you really need the 400mm? I think you should travel very light.

3. Sounds like I should leave the 400mm at home. I don't own a 75-300 but maybe I should think of getting one and leaving the bigger 80-200 at home?

4. Wish I were going with you!
    If it were me, I'd take along at least one fast prime like a 35, 50, or 85mm for low light photography.

5. Right now my fastest prime is a 60mm 2.8.

6. Then it's time to buy one of the 50mm f/1.8 lenses that works on your cameras. :)
    Everybody should have one of these in the kit, and it weighs next to nothing.
    There's a lot to be said for said for the 85mm, too.

7. And the 50mm 1.8 can be had for less than $100.00!

8. I have attended a number of weddings in India. You can cover the wedding with 28-70 f2.8 alone. For
    wild life 80-200 will suffice. I would suggest that you put a lens on each of your cameras and don't even
    take it off. I do not think it is necessary to take a 50mm f1.8. I used to carry a lot of lenses but have
    now learned to do with less and travel light. Kerala has some good scenery so take a polarizing filter for
    28-70 lens for landscapes. Have a good visit. Sandy

9. Kerala offers a rich tapestry of culture, religion, culture, wildlife and landscapes. For wildlife 2 places are a MUST: Periyar Wildlife sanctuary and at least one of the many bird sanctuaries, preferably Kumarakom. At former you will see elephant and Gaur, and lots more! A long lens will be a must! Depending where you are in the state, other sanctuaries may be more convenient. Just traveling around the countryside will offer you 100's of opportunities for bird shooting.

10. Thanks Sandy and Nick for the advice. I had Googled Kerala and was wondering about Periyar Wildlife sanctuary. It sounds like a place I would like to visit. I have a 1.4TC that I could use with my 80-200 which hopefully would be long enough. I do also have a 400mm f/5.6 but that just adds to the amount of gear, and I need to be careful not to take too much.

11. I did Costa Rica with an 80-200 AFS and a 2xTC and flash with a better beamer. The 400 without a tripod would be a handful. If Periyar still takes you out on elephant back you will not need a longer lens than the 80-200.