Photo of the Week

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by michaellinder, Sep 11, 2021.

1. No, just trying to be helpful til he got back to us. Thought the context would be useful in the meantime. So sorry to have offended you.

2. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

It is a shame your private suggestions left you put off and without much hope because the response to your suggestions was that thought was required upon them.

I would have thought that you would value a response that your suggestions required thought. Thought on a suggestion implies that the suggestion has worth and the recipient values it enough to expend time and effort on it. regarding these suggestion to which you refer - I don't know what suggestions or to whom they were made and obviously the time frame of any response is relevant, but I'd suggest that if it's been only a few days, that you think of the glass half full, not half empty.

Then again, maybe I misunderstood the meaning of your Post #35

On another general and definitively more important note:

I do believe "Certainly, what this thread so far shows is that there's no reason to have any [hope]" has great merit and is an insightful comment, especially if I were your suggestion recipient and therefore I were dedicating quality thought to it.

The whining and whinging commentaries in some parts this thread and many other commentaries similar in the Site Help Forum, are enough to put volunteers off ploughing any further of their leisure-time effort into this site: absolute.

WW

3. Worth noting when Ludmilla and Sam agree! :)

Your outline is close enough to what I proposed to Sandy that he’s been ruminating on. The problem is how the “submissions” would occur. Photo of the Week use to be chosen by the elves, and terms of agreement gave them permission to select a POTW from public galleries. I’d be uncomfortable choosing someone’s photo for discussion without permission.

I suppose if folks want to PM me either a photo (you can attach images to a PM), or a link to one, that would imply permission and then I could choose one. I’d prefer Sandy to come up with a way of choosing from an unknown pool. Then there would be no hurt feelings when people know their photo wasn’t chosen from among a few select entries.

But, I’m happy to start an experiment as long as those who submit have thick skins if not chosen and submit to me privately so that the discussion stays focused on the photo chosen and not why it was chosen above the others or why another wasn’t chosen instead.

So, bring them on. Send me a photo or a link in the next three days and I’ll start a Member-Run Photo of the Week thread in Casual Conversations. It will be unlike No Words. I will start it on Thursday. I don’t care when you shot or processed it, though if you want that info known you can include it. (Happy, Sanford?!) It will be that the photo is chosen for that week. Nothing else implied. For those who want more rules, please see Ludmilla, who I’m sure will be happy to make up some doozies to fulfill various needs for comforting restrictions. :D

WJT likes this.
  4. William Michael

If I understand your idea correctly -

That would be a simple formula and a key difference (to the old POW) would be the selection process.
    My first thought is that it would require a two week cycle to (initially) get it going.

Week 1 - all submissions made to a thread and the last day the choice of POW is made and a new comments thread is begun with that chosen image at the top
    Week 2 - new submissions thread started, etc...

WW

5. William Michael

See my Post #44, above... it can be all done on a forum post, total visibility.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  6. I’ll share my thinking with you. I made specific suggestions in private last Friday at lunchtime and was immediately responded to. I was told some thought would be required. I heard no further. When I read this post from Sandy an hour or so ago …
    … I was taken aback because, though I gave a suggestion, I didn’t feel like I was part of a couple of folks who were “working out a structure.” To me, “working out” suggests back and forth contact, and there’s been none since my original proposal. So I figured some loop was actually in the process of happening that I wasn’t part of and worried that it was going to become a more typical top-down feature rather than member-devised and processed. I hope you’ll note that Sandy then responded in post #36, which I liked, implying my understanding that he was currently working alone but would be back to me.

7. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

I feel a little like a Cat in a hurry on a waxed floor. I'm going to sit down and see what falls out of the sky. Other than suggesting some ideas and helping anyway I can, i certainly don't want to be Captain of the ship.

mickeysimpson likes this.
  8. Yes and also who does the selection - ie, who becomes an Elf

9. William Michael

Glad you did share. I understand.

I suggest that it being the weekend and it also being the weekend of the 20th Anniversary of September 11th, I suspect where many USA people would be thinking of many matters, a time lag would be understood too.

10. Why don't we just post photos and F the F off?

11. Because we're trying to come up with a specific mechanism unlike other threads that are currently going. I will make one promise. No one will be forced to participate. And I doubt anyone will be asked to F the F off, unless they violate Terms of Agreement and, even then, I imagine it will be phrased differently.

12. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

'Photo Of The Week'.​

Why more words than images ?

13. I think it is the desire to have a critique forum that isn't a critique forum, strictly speaking.

14. For me, it would be a desire to talk and hear about each others’ photos any way we want.
    It’s not a competition.

I wouldn’t think in terms of more and instead would daydream of pics and words living together in a world of magical and blissful harmony … with fairies and sprites twitting to and fro and leprechauns and baby seals having drinks by the poolside… lol.

don_essedi likes this.
  15. The story so far: It looks like another post-a-pic forum and there is confusion about which 'week', and film photographers wonder how they can play since it often takes longer than a week to get that hybrid process completed. Then we learn that once upon a time there was such a forum here called Photo Of The Week, but the photo referred to is one in which the elves (aka "staff" or "moderators") picked a photo of the week. Then there's something about a 'member' run forum to be called Photo Of The Week which does not appear to be the same as the one run by the Elven Folk. And I think this is all about recovering the legendary days of photo.net's Golden Age...which I recall was more of a "hold my beer" assay into fight club.

I am enjoying this thread. Fascinating.

Gerald Cafferty likes this.
  16. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Yes, I realise that - it just struck me as amusing and ironic that a thread for photos should contain so few images. Just a thought, not a complaint or criticism. I agree that a more in-depth discussion regarding images would (or even will) be more satisfying than just a bald 'like' for images as per NW. Hope the idea takes off and is well supported. Thanks too to Sam for his input, suggestions, explanations and general involvement.

17. I am not certain, but I don't think this thread was for posting photos (from any week) but to discuss having such a forum...don't know really. Just guessing :cool:

18. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member