Photo of the Week

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by michaellinder, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Photo of the Week - that’s all you’re getting - dare to allow yourself to interpret that how you may -
    Whenever you want it to.
    No. The title is Photo of the Week. That’s it! :)

Tony Parsons likes this.
  2. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Sam, a friendly word of advice - never dare an Idiot !!!!! Thanks for this - carte blanche it shall be !

20210812_172231c.jpg

3. SIU-Campus-Lake-210903-026-power.jpg
    the unabated struggle for power​

4. Er … the extremely popular and lively No Words forum is all about that. Are you so disabused of words that a thread like this that allows them is a threat to your axiomatic silence? Here’s an opportunity to say a few words to each other about your work and, instead, y’all recede to the shelter of your comfort zone, tossing up pics and doling out likes with no further interaction. Nice try, Michael and Walt, but you can’t get blood out of stones.

5. And while we're at it we should reinstate POTD, POTM, and eliminate that one a day 24 hour rule. What are there, about 25 of us left! I've had photos deleted by the moderators because only 23 hours had elapsed. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but why reject something that may increase traffic here.

ericphelps likes this.
  6. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Does this place any image in this thread, posted prior to 168 hours having elapsed since the previous posting, at risk of deletion, one wonders ? ;):D

Sanford likes this.
  7. Good suggestion about the week's start.

8. One might assume a new Photo of the Week thread will be started a week from yesterday and that participants wouldn’t need a rule to tell them that the next thread is where their next photo would go. Again, just a wee bit of brainpower is all that’s needed. It’s really not rocket science.

In that vein, good hours counting. You see how resourceful one can be when one puts one’s mind to it. :)

Tony Parsons likes this.
  9. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Ladies & Gents, please continue, but a couple of us are working out a structure and just a rule or two that I believe will work. It will be malleable and member input both with ideas and content will be needed.

mickeysimpson likes this.
  10. The original POTW was never dependent on when the photo was taken but based on the whims of the folks that ran things here. At least that's how I thought it worked. Personally, I leave photos untouched for a month or so before applying post-processing, so when do I start my count.

11. OMG, whenever you want. No wonder folks historically have chosen to live under authoritarian rule. It’s really hard to think independently. Do you think the PN police are going to be checking the date taken on the photos in each thread? Just put up a damn photo each week, wait for the likes to roll in, and stop worrying so much.

Tony Parsons likes this.
  12. YES!

Tony Parsons and don_essedi like this.
  13. Sandy Vongries

No, there are only a few Moderators / Administrators, all want to have a life outside Photo.net, I certainly do. No policing. As the structure is envisioned at the moment, the photo will need to be posted within the week, and because of Worldwide membership, the week will need to be a little flexible. Stay tuned, more later.

mickeysimpson likes this.
  14. Sandy, while this follows your post, it is not a response to you. It's a response to the thread so far. It was written before your most recent entry here ...

This is so pathetic, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The original idea for this thread was a request to return the Photo of the Week feature. With all the thrill people have expressed over the current thread, it bears NO RESEMBLANCE to the original Photo of the Week feature. All this thread is is a tired old No Words thread lacking a theme other than the title, Photo of the Week.

I only hope Sandy comes up with something a little more like the Photo of the Week and a little different than a No Words thread that simply allows words.

I made some suggestions privately but was put off, saying they needed some thought. I was not contacted again about it. So I don't have much hope. Certainly, what this thread so far shows is that there's no reason to have any.

WJT likes this.
  15. Sandy Vongries

You will be contacted again privately when some of the rough spots have been "sanded down."

samstevens likes this.
  16. This is a question to Michael L.
    Hi Michael when you started this thread in the "no words" forum did you intend Picture of the Week to be just another NW theme? if you did this must all come as a surprise.
    Either way you seem to have started something.
    BR............GC.

17. This is the relevant part of a discussion from a Site Help thread last week. I hope it gives you an idea of the impetus behind this Photo of the Week thread. Only Michael can say for sure how exactly that discussion relates to this thread, what he had in mind for this thread, and what he has in mind when he talks about bringing back Photo of the Week.

18. I agree with Sam, this POTW thread is a bit pathetic.

Here’s how I thought it would work

1. People submit a photo
    2. Someone picks the POTW based on criteria they see fit
    3. Members discuss
    4. The winner becomes the new Someone
    5. Rinse and repeat
    I suggest Sam be the starting Someone as he’s familiar with the original POTW

(BTW, the above is my entry for POTW)

19. Exactly that's why I asked HIM, do you always have to have the last word.