Photo of the Week - #4 - 10/11/21

• Photo of the Week is a member-run feature.
  • The photo is randomly chosen from a pool of submitted photos.
  • It is posted anonymously. If photographers wish, they may identify themselves in a comment.
  • This is not my photo.
  • Comment on and discuss the photo or any aspect of it in whatever way you choose.
  • If you wish to submit a photo, please PM me with either an embedded photo or a link to one. Include a title if you want one to appear. It will go into the pool and eventually be posted anonymously as a Photo of the Week.

18627254-orig.thumb.jpg.30addeb5d72b458589563ceec1b87051.jpg

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

The subject is well isolated on the street. There’s a soft intensity about him, young, fresh-faced, in full gear with hardcore weapon. The shoppers are disengaged from him. This viewer can’t help but feeling his captured attention. We create the need for and the character of young soldiers. What fools we are.
  • Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

These things are interesting, Armed troops on the streets are strange in the US, but of course most of the guns killing 1000s of people in the US are in privately held hands or are handguns shot by police. I don't get any more out of the photo than what it shows, which is fine. I would consider cropping out a lot of the left hand side.
Robin Smith

I think the Bataclan massacre and other terrorist murders of Nov 2015 might’ve been at the foremost of the security services thinking

Despite technological progress humanity failed to evolve and can't resolve own differences without violence.

Without remarking on the comments discussing the social commentary aspect of this photo which I appreciate and I probably couldn't really add anything new, but I would like to look at it from the viewpoint of a street photograph, which doesn't minimize the documentary and commentary that is easy to associate with the pic.

So just seeing how this photo has created so many interesting responses I thought it might be cool to look at it from the angle of how the photo is able to do that so well.

I really appreciate the clarity of form and composition which focus me right on the interaction with the soldier. I think what takes this photo beyond just making a social comment on the state of violence and reactions to it around the world, which is important in itself, it adds this perfect moment of interaction with the subject and just capturing the look on his face and the reaction to the interaction with the photographer for me humanizes the soldier so I see him as a person who has their stake in the circumstance they find themselves in as well. For me it adds a whole other dimension that just makes this a really good photo.

My only complaint is I find the borders really cheesy, but that's just me :)

• Like 2

IMO it’s the juxtaposition between the young soldier and the 2 ladies beside him that give this image such strength. I also believe it takes some gumption to aim a camera (or anything else) at such an individual as this and even he seems surprised by the photographer taking the shot- hence the arched eyebrow?

I saw loads of photos shot during protests over the past year or so but none that were just routine shots of police or guards in calm moments so this stands out thusly as well. I personally am unaware of what was happening in Lyon around the 16 January 2016 time stamp- but this guy seems rather at ease as does everyone else in the photo. Note that he’s not in full combat gear.

Adding just one more note on heavily armed police or soldiers on the street, perhaps some aren’t aware that many countries have varying levels of police up to and including national police forces that have long been militarized.

An overall nice shot- clearly documenting a specific moment in time & place.

A point of clarification. These Photo of the Week threads are not strictly for or about critiques. From the forum explanation ...

... all members are invited to comment on any aspect of the photo. It can be a critique or just a reaction or response or riff. It can be as few or as many words as you like.

"You talkin' to me?"

I didn’t bang on about the absence of POTW, POTD etc and then, suddenly, lose my voice.

Neither did anyone who's participated in this thread. Both your comment and Michael's comment, neither being what I'd consider a critique, were entirely appropriate to this thread and spoken in your individual voices. That's what the thread is about. Thanks to both of you for your participation.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

The attacks in Paris on the night of Friday 13th November 2015, by gunmen and suicide bombers, focussed on: a major stadium; restaurants; bars; and a concert hall. These all occurred almost simultaneously:

21:20 – Stade de France

21:25 – Petit Cambodge Restaurant and Le Carillon Bar

21:32 - Rue Fontaine au Roi

21:40 - Bataclan Concert Hall

21:36 – Belle Equipe Bar

21:40 – Boulevard Voltaire

The cull at 21:45 was 130 people dead: hundreds wounded.

The 1,500-seat Bataclan Concert Hall was scene of the most deadly attacks. It was sold out that night where Californian rock group Eagles of Death Metal was playing. Eighty-nine people died at the scene, when gunmen at close range fired Kalashnikov-type assault rifles into the crowd. Several hundred wounded were taken to hospital, at least ninety-nine assessed as “critical condition”.

I arrived in Paris, December 28th 2015. This trip was planned for several months and included Lyon and Avignon. For three weeks after the terrorist attacks there were reservations about travelling and considerations to cancel, postpone and re-arrange meetings were very seriously considered. The upshot was my trip went ahead, as planned.

I had booked dinner, 31st December 2015, at a Restaurant on the opposite bank of the Seine and overlooking Notre Dame. The reservation was made eight months in advance. That evening (New Years’ Eve) there were about thirty people in a 220 seat venue. This reflected the mood of Paris.

I arrived in Lyon mid-morning, Saturday 2nd January 2016. Lyon seemed more vibrant than Paris. I was hungry and walking from my hotel to a favourite café, I couldn’t miss the platoon walking 2x2 through the main streets, then breaking into squads and soldiers singling off.

The café was devoid of patrons. Unusual. One of the two owners and chef were there. The owner recognised my face – she had a good memory: I had visited there two years previously, on three occasions. I asked if they were serving: ‘yes’. I ordered. We talked. Our talk became a monologue. That monologue quickly became a cathartic purge of emotion. Her Wife, her Brother, her Cousin, and four of her restaurant employees were shot dead at the Bataclan Concert.

I made several Photos during my trip. I wrote several diary pages, recording conversations and interviews. I have published very few of my words or images. The image above, of the young soldier, took about five minute to make. I walked in front of the squad when it was 2x2. My camera (5DII / 24 to 105L) was clearly visible and my intent obvious. When the squad broke to single, I made eye contact with this young soldier and I placed myself in a position walking backwards at his speed and waited for the two women (RHS) to be in frame and then made the shot. I did not notice the raised eyebrow at the time. My timing was concentrating on his feet and the women. After making the shot I acknowledged the soldier with a short and sharp nod of my head and went about my business.

During my three weeks in Paris, Lyon and Avignon, I took every spare minute to be available to meet, talk, interview and photograph the local people, police and troops. There was no evidence of public riots in any of those three cities. The local residents and shopkeepers appeared to overwhelmingly warmly receive their troops patrolling their streets. The army’s presence seemed to bring a calm and security, to a fractured and bleeding society.

Thank you for your comments, views and discussion. I have learned much from all your responses.

WW

• Like 4

The attacks in Paris on the night of Friday 13th November 2015, by gunmen and suicide bombers, focussed on: a major stadium; restaurants; bars; and a concert hall. These all occurred almost simultaneously:

The 1,500-seat Bataclan Concert Hall was scene of the most deadly attacks. It was sold out that night where Californian rock group Eagles of Death Metal was playing. Eighty-nine people died at the scene, when gunmen at close range fired Kalashnikov-type assault rifles into the crowd. Several hundred wounded were taken to hospital, at least ninety-nine assessed as “critical condition”.

During my three weeks in Paris, Lyon and Avignon, I took every spare minute to be available to meet, talk, interview and photograph the local people, police and troops. There was no evidence of public riots in any of those three cities. The local residents and shopkeepers appeared to overwhelmingly warmly receive their troops patrolling their streets. The army’s presence seemed to bring a calm and security, to a fractured and bleeding society.

Thank you for your comments, views and discussion. I have learned much from all your responses.

WW

I believe that this is a well composed photo reflecting the times. Reading your account of the scene, the soldiers marching out 2X2, and your effort to compose the scene makes the photo even more personal and appreciated to me.

The terrorist events in France were appropriately met with the soldiers patrolling their cities. As nice as it would be to have a society without violence, the reality is that there are those that continue to commit terrible and violent acts. If we bemoan the efforts of the brave men and women that put their lives on the line for the rest of us, then I ask, when will enough people perish at the hands of these monstrous and violent people? Will we deserve that outcome?

You have to remember that France had conscripted military service until very recently, and that young men in full kit and armed with automatic weapons was a common sight in France. Scared the bejasus out of me when I last visited France and was surrounded by about half a dozen similar figures at the port.

Just another average street photo in France.

I arrived in Paris, December 28th 2015. This trip was planned for several months and included Lyon and Avignon. For three weeks after the terrorist attacks there were reservations about travelling and considerations to cancel, postpone and re-arrange meetings were very seriously considered. The upshot was my trip went ahead, as planned.

I had booked dinner, 31st December 2015, at a Restaurant on the opposite bank of the Seine and overlooking Notre Dame. The reservation was made eight months in advance. That evening (New Years’ Eve) there were about thirty people in a 220 seat venue. This reflected the mood of Paris.

I arrived in Lyon mid-morning, Saturday 2nd January 2016. Lyon seemed more vibrant than Paris. I was hungry and walking from my hotel to a favourite café, I couldn’t miss the platoon walking 2x2 through the main streets, then breaking into squads and soldiers singling off.

The café was devoid of patrons. Unusual. One of the two owners and chef were there. The owner recognised my face – she had a good memory: I had visited there two years previously, on three occasions. I asked if they were serving: ‘yes’. I ordered. We talked. Our talk became a monologue. That monologue quickly became a cathartic purge of emotion. Her Wife, her Brother, her Cousin, and four of her restaurant employees were shot dead at the Bataclan Concert.

I made several Photos during my trip. I wrote several diary pages, recording conversations and interviews. I have published very few of my words or images. The image above, of the young soldier, took about five minute to make. I walked in front of the squad when it was 2x2. My camera (5DII / 24 to 105L) was clearly visible and my intent obvious. When the squad broke to single, I made eye contact with this young soldier and I placed myself in a position walking backwards at his speed and waited for the two women (RHS) to be in frame and then made the shot. I did not notice the raised eyebrow at the time. My timing was concentrating on his feet and the women. After making the shot I acknowledged the soldier with a short and sharp nod of my head and went about my business.

WW

Thank you for your account of the photo and moment, really appreciate you providing some back story to this shot. Your words bring welcome perspective and IMO bring new depth to the photo. Working in entertainment myself, reading first-hand accounts from road crew who survived being inside the theater during the attack was harrowing and mind blowing. Of course it's impossible to imagine being in a similar situation and I hope nobody else ever has to undergo such a thing as that. BTW the Eagles Of Death Metal are awesome and fun. Hope they've recovered from the trauma of having one of their shows & their fans shot to hell.