Photo of the Week - #32 - 4/25/22

• Photo of the Week is a member-run feature.
  • The photo is posted anonymously. If photographers wish, they may identify themselves in a comment.
  • This is not my photo.
  • Comment on and discuss the photo or any aspect of it in whatever way you choose.
  • If you wish to submit a photo, please PM me with either an embedded photo or a link to one. Include a title if you want one to appear. It will go into the pool and eventually be posted as a Photo of the Week.

1688373_43c5ec7effd68fd058c6c86f6f29d364.thumb.jpg.005261643a940461b7054814b8f1404e.jpg

• Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

I'm again the first to comment:). Although this is definitely not my 'genre. I really like this photo! It shows great detail and somehow tells a story. I also like the color and tone contrast between the snail + flower and the background.

My only suggestion to the photographer is (in PP) to make the 'subjects' slightly less bright. A curves adjustment that slightly darkens the photo brings out much more detail (and contrast) in both the flower and snail.

• Like 1

Good close up/macro photography is difficult to achieve. Smaller F stops result in slower shutter speeds which makes it hard to obtain a sharp shot with adequate DOF. I think the photographer did a fine job here overcoming the above challenges.
  • Like 2

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on my "Snail on Ice Plant" photo. It was taken with a 105 micro lens, ISO 11400, 1/200 sec, at f/32. The micro lens was the only working lens I had at the time so I got used to looking small.

It's a snail.

Given the snail's wide open mouth, I had to google snail teeth. Turns out they have sort-of teeth, tiny rows of them, on what they use as tongues. The things you learn through photography!

Another element of the photo is that both the snail and the plant are invasive, "invasive on invasive," a naturalist friend commented. Both are plentiful in northern California where I live. --Sally

Edited by sallymack
  • Like 5

Nice exposure, lush colors, and interesting subjects telling a story make for a photo treat. So, the plant and the snail are invasive? Well, some would say that we photographers are as well, so you may have hit the trifecta! :):):)
  • Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on my "Snail on Ice Plant" photo. It was taken with a 105 micro lens, ISO 11400, 1/200 sec, at f/32. The micro lens was the only working lens I had at the time so I got used to looking small.

It's a snail.

Given the snail's wide open mouth, I had to google snail teeth. Turns out they have sort-of teeth, tiny rows of them, on what they use as tongues. The things you learn through photography!

Another element of the photo is that both the snail and the plant are invasive, "invasive on invasive," a naturalist friend commented. Both are plentiful in northern California where I live. --Sally

Bravo, Sally! One question - - How do you distinguish between a slug and a snail?

• Like 1

The difference between snails and slugs: snails have shells, slugs don't.

Slugs also end up running for office (in the UK at least)

Not just the UK, unfortunately...

• Like 2