Photo Of The Week 3/29/09

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by mountainvisions, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Taken on Mt Mansfield's Sunset Ridge at (you guessed it) sunset on my descent. Finally made it to the summit of the mountain on my 3rd attempt (all winter attempts). 1st time in 2006 it was -7F with winds so strong the ski resort on the other side of the mountain (Stowe) was shut down for the day. Ski patrol said winds were in the 90-100mph range. Not unreasonable considering winds in the valleys were near 70mph. I got a nice patch of frostbite on my goggle line. 2nd time was my first hike 3 weeks after tearing my ACL, I made it ironically to just above this point, but my ACL probably tore a bit more on this hike, and I turned around.
    2009 was typical Northeastern winter summits. A mix of everything from 50mph winds, to being so warm in the trees I was hiking in short sleeves, to being so cold on the summit I was wearing full head gear, goggles, and insulated mittens. The summit was a 2 minute affair in whiteout conditions, but on the way down it started clearing and I liked the sunset through the cloud cover with the mild back lighting on the trees in the foreground.
    [​IMG]
    Pentax K20D, DA 21mm, f/8.
    [​IMG]
    K20D, DA* 300mm, f/4.5.
    [​IMG]
    K20D, DA* 300mm.

2. Justin,
    Fun walk, huh? Nice sunset photo. My own perambulations today were less challenging.
    BK
    00Su7W-120169584.jpg

3. Justin, those three are just great. The third is one of the best shots of yours I've seen here in my short tenure.
    For me, It was cold and wet most of the week. On Monday a few compadres and I strolled downtown for a walking lunch hour, cameras in hand, as the rain started to fall. Turned out better than I expected.

[​IMG]
    Scooter
    K20D DA 21mm Ltd f 8 @ 1/90 ISO 400
    [​IMG]
    Steel
    K20D DA 21mm Ltd f 4 @ 1/350 ISO 400
    [​IMG]
    Bolt
    K20D DA 21mm Ltd f 5.6 @ 1/500 ISO 400
    ME

4. I got this SMC-M 200mm F/4 this week on Ebay. This joins my M-Series 50mm 1.7 and 135 3.5. I was looking forward to getting out with this this weekend, but as per Midwest standards, the weather abruptly changed, and we got a snow storm.
    So I shot out my back door. All of my shots are with this 200mm lens on a tripod.
    00Su7i-120171584.jpg

5. This was underneath the trampoline. The top was full of ice and snow which melted through the fabric. And it diffused the light, giving this an indoor feel to it.
    00Su7l-120171684.jpg

6. SMC-M 200mm F/4
    00Su7n-120171784.jpg

7. Stopped down to f/8
    00Su7o-120171884.jpg

8. Springtime
    00Su7q-120171984.jpg

9. I spent a lot of time in the river valley setup along game trails without much luck.
    The last few weeks I had come a crossed moose tracks and was really looking forward to capturing one but was not so lucky. I did manage to capture a doe, at least I was not the only one out in knee deep snow
    [​IMG]

10. a few from my spring break week, all taken with the K10D + FA 35 f/2.
    my brother, ryan:
    [​IMG]
    his dog, jake:
    [​IMG]
    my friends chris and john:
    [​IMG]

11. K10D, DA*16-50mm @31mm, ISO 400, 1/30s, f2.8, available light (Fluorescent).
    00Su9m-120183584.jpg

12. Musicians under the Walnut Street Bridge. They said, Got any requests? As usual, I said, "Flight of the Bumblebee!" These were the first musicians I ever met on the street who actually began playing, Flight of the Bumblebee. Then, they segued into another song, that sounded like the other songs they had been playing before, but was similar to, Flight of the Bumblebee.
    Someday, they're gonna be famous. I have no idea who they are. J.
    00SuAC-120187684.jpg

13. I had a couple other shots of them; had HP5 in the camera, shot it at ASA 32; forgot! Thought it was PanF+. On the other end of the roll, had HP5 at ASA1600; goofed the strobe setting on this shot; pulled development down two stops; developed in D23 1+3, accidentally overran the time; the whole roll came out great.

14. Aiiiiiighh!
    00SuAQ-120189784.jpg

15. I have 3 this week one is something I am currently working on and is not finished yet but thought since I have spent most of the week on it I would get some opinions. I will leave comments when there is some more up.
    00SuAp-120197584.jpg

16. This little fella flew in and sat on the peach tree
    00SuAt-120197784.jpg

17. Last but not least
    00SuAu-120199584.jpg

18. Some very dynamic and different photos this week!
    Justin, your first is one that I'd love to get the opportunity to shoot. The cowgirls are doing a good job.. And that moon over the clouds is a superb capture.
    Bob, your farm gate has mood to it that I very much like.
    Michael. the scooter is a definite winner, and I like the blue storefront shutter as well
    Steve, the spring snow scene looks pretty good.. like the falling snow in the shot
    Javier, always such excellent shots with beautiful colors
    Adam, good portraits, and good capture in the last shot
    Ian, I think you were busted by that doe :)
    Scot, cute setting.. looks good :)
    John, your musicians are almost as versatile as the photographer!
    Ben, your work in progress looks like it will be a work of art when it's done.. I like it a lot
    I was in Houston for a couple of weeks.. not too much time for shooting, and I had my p&s olympus 8080 with me..
    00SuBy-120211584.jpg

19. #2 Bartlett lake with the water levels back to normal.. and a visitor from out of town
    00SuBz-120211684.jpg

20. #3 Yellow brittle bushes in full bloom already
    00SuC0-120211784.jpg

21. #4 Butterfly pavillion at Desert Botanical Gardens
    00SuC1-120211884.jpg

22. Justin, that first pic is one of the best I've seen from you. A 10 in my books (or a 7/7 as they say around p-net).
    Michael E., I love Steel , The colours are so good, I'm not going to say it would look better in B&W :)
    Javier, have I seen that bird before? I think you got the colours great this time; sometimes they tend to be too saturated.
    Adam, I think your brother Ryan might be a little tired of you and your camera. So is Jake. :-D
    Ben P., I'm sorry, but I think the postprocessing on Eyes of Wisdom does the picture no favours--it's too crude and unforgiving for my taste.
    Haig, I like the bike rack!

23. I spent Wednesday in Madrid with my sister. We walked around quite a bit and I enjoyed some street shooting . Here are my two favourites:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Here's a photo from that day that didn't make it into my blog post . As you can see, the US president is everywhere, even on the Madrid subway! :-D
    00SuDm-120231584.jpg

25. Many good shots here but my favorites are Justin's first and third and Mis's dog shot. This past week was a week of missed opportunities for me. At least three shots that could have been keepers were missed for lack of a camera, wrong lens or no place to park. I guess that is all too common for many of us.
    00SuEN-120237584.jpg

26. Mr. and Mrs. wood duck
    00SuES-120237684.jpg

27. finally...
    00SuEU-120237784.jpg

28. Great shots everyone. Mt Mansfield is my favorite so far. Just one from me, actually the same shot in b&w and color. Not sure which I like best or if I even like either of them. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lillian's - Saratoga, NY

29. In the Okefenokee Swamp:

30. Wow Donnie...that gator/croc is my favourite so far...nice capture...
    Well...I've been shooting miscelaneous crap...check it out...
    00SuFH-120245584.jpeg

31. Rock car from Kentucky
    00SuFJ-120245684.jpg

32. Red cart drippy building Kentucky..take 2 ist one didnt post???
    00SuFP-120245784.jpg

33. More from me......
    00SuFU-120245984.jpg

34. And more...
    00SuFV-120247584.jpeg

35. I live in the #1 suburban sprawl area in USA , here is another new parking lot
    00SuFW-120247684.jpg

36. And some negative B&W crap...thought it was cool, but oh well..u dont have to agree wif me lolol
    00SuFY-120247784.jpeg

37. Well, some really good shots already, will comment tomorrow. Here are a few from me. Took my wife and kids down to the beach on the spur of the moment - couldn't have chosen a worse day. By the time we got there, a very strong wind was howling. But I did manage to catch some shots of guys kite surfing.
    Besides the gale, it was a very broody sky, and the sand was dark and oily, and the water was deep brown. Yuck! But it looks good in black and white!
    Number 1 - K20D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, @ 17mm, f9:
    [​IMG]
    And just to show what things looked like in color:
    [​IMG]
    Number 2 - Catching Air, some of these guys were getting so high I was worried about them blowing into the wind turbines just behind me - K20D, Pentax A 100mm f2.8 Macro, f6.3:
    [​IMG]
    Number 3 - Wind Blowing Harder - K20D, Pentax DA 50-200, @200mm, f8:
    [​IMG]
    And lastly - The Wind Turbine - these things are huge and were really moving at high speed! The sound from them moving through the air was quite dramatic! My wife was really nervous about being anywhere near them!
    My little white car and wind turbine. You can see the flex in the blades from the strength of the wind! - K20D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, @ 17mm, f9:
    [​IMG]

38. Hey Garry, your first shot has great B&W tonalities...you should expand that skill, start shooting Leica and posting over there... we are no match over here lolololol =)

39. I was playing around with my old Takumars this week. Decided to go B&W and complete the old school theme.
    Got this at the wizzard falls fish hatchery on the Metolius river here in Central Oregon with a Super Tak 200mm.
    00SuHa-120267584.jpg

40. I was stomping around the house looking for stuff to shoot with a SMC tak 50mm 1.4 and found some fun with my old drift boat.
    00SuHh-120267684.jpg

41. Rope rowing seat.
    00SuHj-120267784.jpg

42. Swollen Mississippi River, Coon Rapids Dam, upstream from Minneapolis, MN, early morning 3-28-09.
    [​IMG]
    K20D, Pentax 10-17 fish eye, F/8, 10mm, 1/400
    [​IMG]
    K20D, Sigma 18-50, F/8, 50mm, 1/80

43. Wow, lots of great photos this week, I'm enjoying them all.

44. stemked

stemked Moderator

Yes, Gollum is alive and well in Indiana!
    http://www.photo.net/photo/8855231
    (Actually a Small-mouthed Salamander)

45. trw

trw

[​IMG]

Cumberland Lantern Festival

46. I've gone all obsessive shooting my neighbor's magnolia this week.
    00SuNy-120321584.jpg

47. It's kind of a gaudy mess once the flowers open but I really like the buds.
    00SuO4-120321784.jpg

48. A stunning array of beautiful and artistic photo's. This POW is truly a joy ! Every weekend again and again.
    I'll be up with pictures later...

49. Nice shot Dave...which lens is that???

50. The entrance of the Atheneum in Bucharest after a Sunday morning concert. Converted from RAW in-camera to medium quality JPEG. K200D 16-45 DA ISO 400
    00SuTF-120359584.jpg

51. Actually, those were all taken with the Sigma 70-200mm, Arkadiy. I like your flower core, btw--easy to get lost in there.

52. While there are some great shots as usual,
    Having avoided reading the comments until more images are posted, It is going to be tough to beat Justins first image and Mis's Dog shot!..Those are great !!!!

53. Thanks Dave...I mean...I'm already depressed. With so little time, between studyin and work...Only thing I can do, is to shoot rotten flowers. That Orchid, was the ONLY one flower in a whole garden that was kinda OK to shoot. I bought myself extension tubes, but they are a pain in the butt to use without a tripod or rail. All is handheld, and flash is my shot freezer. Buuuuu.....

54. Went hiking yesterday. Marvelous day (15C) & sunny.
    00SuXG-120383584.jpg

55. & a duck!
    00SuXP-120383684.jpg

56. Again a superb week of captures by all. I'll follow Javiers lead and wait to comment on individual shots - until tomorrow in my case - when all should be posted. Here are a few quick snaps from me this week. The first 2 are taken at my son's 4th Birthday Party with the K100D Super and FA 50mm...
    00SuXk-120385584.jpg

57. Here's the second Birthday Party snap...
    00SuXp-120385684.jpg

58. Two shots from the land of ice and snow....
    00SuXr-120385784.jpg

59. Both outdoor shots were taken with the DA 50-200.....l
    00SuXt-120385884.jpg

60. Miserere I kind of have to agree with you the PP is rather harsh on eye's of wisdom I think sometimes you can get it right and other's are just mistake's this one might be the latter. It's refreshing to hear honest criticism be it good or bad both are needed to learn. Your Dog capture is one of my favourites this week.
    Haig I loved the Bike rack shot great symetry and the person sitting on the bench at the end set's the shot off.
    Michael Elenko Your Scooter shot just stand's out Nice shot, Though I think it could be better with out the pepsi bottle maybe you could clone it out (just a thought).
    Justin That first shot is stunning and to open the POW thread with it really raised the bar this week.
    Everyone else great shot's the POW get's better and better each week and choosing favourites get's harder. I am sure there is going to be alot of great shots still to come.

61. Hi everybody, back from a weekend at Newport, Oregon on the Pacific Ocean. Hail, 25-45mph sustained winds, rain and a touch of sunshine, springtime Oregon style. Thankful for SR and weather sealing...
    00SuaC-120401584.jpg

62. Historic Yaquina Head lighthouse
    00SuaQ-120403584.jpg

63. John:
    Take a look here for a different view of those Oregon coast telescopes.
    BK

64. Justin, I agree with M.E. on 'best ever" but I think it's the first--really superb composition!
    I like your 'bolt" MIchael--I've considered/attempted similar subject matter but you really got it right.
    Your pp gets more interesting every week<, Ben--"Work in Progress" is impressive.
    Wonderful gator shot, Donnie!
    And thanks for the rock car, I loke the atmosphere of the red cart, too.
    Number 3 Wind blowing harder is really good, Garry.
    Nice set, Duane: the kids are well captured and the icy grass is very appealing (in a visual sort of way ;~)

65. Many very fine images here- enjoyed viewing them very much! Ben, your eyes shot may be of a wise person, but that does not seem reflected here- rather intense or wild, is my impression. Maybe if renamed along other lines..?
    Justin, your first shot is a beauty! Second one, very nicely done. But that moon shot is fabulous!! Best moon shot I've seen, I believe, or certainly among the very top.

66. Thank you Haig. Thank you Miserere, I did think about B&W, but that blue matched the day well enough. Thank you Ben, I have pondered cloning the bottle out, I thought the glint of red would help, but it is an easy change to make, so I'll try it. Thank you Dave H. Bolt is my fave of the three, it was the hardest to shoot and to process. Certainly the best shot I've gotten from the DA 21mm in the few weeks I've had it.

The chosen several this week:
    Justin's shots are superb, especially the first and third. 'Nuff said.
    Bob K-That farm gate has a great color tone and mood. I'd be proud to take that shot and develop it that way.
    John O'K-The 645 B&W of the guitarist looks very early 60s. Nice, rich tones. I dig his expression.
    Ben P-Those eyes and the skin are too overcooked for my taste. Old people have too many skin defects for closeups in color. And, just for the record, lose the apostrophe in the title.

Miserere M-That dog immediately caught my attention, this is one of the best this week, it's just funny.
    Robert C-that first shot of the train bridges is quite colorful but subtle; it grows on me and that's good.
    Donnie S-That is a wonderful photograph, the form, the exposure and lighting, the leaf makes the art. I'd frame that one.
    Gary Ian Y-On number 1 I'm leaning to the color shot somehow; the light's a bit more magical, nice shot in whatever tone.
    Andrew H-that third one reflects your good eye. I'd lighten the left, darker oar just a bit.
    Duane M--That second shot is sweet. That's a handsome young man ya got there.
    ME

67. My favorite snap from the Zurich fleamarket. Great photos everyone, a joy to watch the POW every Sunday!
    00Sunx-120495584.jpg

68. Thanks for the kind words so far, and now for some quick comments:
    • Justin - I concur - stunning stuff!
    • Bob Keefer - love the contrast between the green grass and the gloomy sky.
    • ME - all 3 nicely abstract.
    • Steve - you've a captive audience in me - spring snow is something out of Narnia!
    • Ian - I'm impressed, both by the deer shot, and that you were actually walking around in that cold white stuff!
    • Javier - nice bird(s)! ;-) Would have enjoyed having the whole tail in view (of the feathered bird!).
    • Adam, great candids.
    • Scott, nice colors. A little more or maybe even a little less dof might make it even better?
    • John - your camera doesn't have audio? Tsk! Now you say they sounded great, a photo just doesn't quite cut it!
    • Ben - a work in progress looks great!
    • Haig, #3 catches my eye!
    • Mis, #2 is great. I know you prefer a 4x3 vertical crop, but I would like to see it in 4x6 - just to know what could have been!
    • Bob Colameco - train bridges is really picturesque. Does it look good big? That would be nice on a wall. And the fence is great - but then I am a sucker for fences and roads meandering off into the distance, especially in black and white!
    • Bob Marz - not sure either. I can see the potential in the contrasts etc, but maybe a closer more abstract composition? Knowing so much about the immediate surrounding doesn't seem to add to those shots, whether in color or b&w.
    • Donnie - great gator! That lilly (or floaty greeny thingy) makes a nice balance!
    • Ronnie - that car rocks!
    • Arkadiy - your negative black and white crap is interesting - don't be so negative! ;-)
    • Andrew - the wood grain is nice on the oar, but I think the black top section detracts a little?
    • Steve - a lot of artifacting from p-net resizing, but the first still looks very dramatic.
    • Doug - Great to see your stuff posted here! Can you help with the gollum analogy. Is this due to the salamander's habitat? Or ... ?
    • Trent - ethereal...
    • Dave - magnolia addictions can be concerning!
    • DC - really nice b&w. Great capture of the flow of light.
    • Guy, there's great post processing potential in that duck's water. I like the oily sheen.
    • Duane - Icy Wonderland is great with the light shining on all the ice - can't imagine what that would be like in real life! (I have seen snow - once!)
    • John, I have a soft spot for your rough seas - nice shot!
    • Jemal, I like the contrasts in the b&w, and feel the textures have great potential. Did you shoot more of that spot? A more abstract crop might be interesting.
    • Markus, I like it, but the red is a very strong. Black and white?
    It was very pleasant viewing this POW!

69. yo Garry, is this cheating ....?
    • Justin - I concur - stunning stuff!
    • Bob Keefer - love the contrast between the green grass and the gloomy sky.
    • ME - all 3 nicely abstract.
    • Steve - you've a captive audience in me - spring snow is something out of Narnia!
    • Ian - I'm impressed, both by the deer shot, and that you were actually walking around in that cold white stuff!
    • Javier - nice bird(s)! ;-) Would have enjoyed having the whole tail in view (of the feathered bird!).
    • Adam, great candids.
    • Scott, nice colors. A little more or maybe even a little less dof might make it even better?
    • John - your camera doesn't have audio? Tsk! Now you say they sounded great, a photo just doesn't quite cut it!
    • Ben - a work in progress looks great!
    • Haig, #3 catches my eye!
    • Mis, #2 is great. I know you prefer a 4x3 vertical crop, but I would like to see it in 4x6 - just to know what could have been!
    • Bob Colameco - train bridges is really picturesque. Does it look good big? That would be nice on a wall. And the fence is great - but then I am a sucker for fences and roads meandering off into the distance, especially in black and white!
    • Bob Marz - not sure either. I can see the potential in the contrasts etc, but maybe a closer more abstract composition? Knowing so much about the immediate surrounding doesn't seem to add to those shots, whether in color or b&w.
    • Donnie - great gator! That lilly (or floaty greeny thingy) makes a nice balance!
    • Ronnie - that car rocks!
    • Arkadiy - your negative black and white crap is interesting - don't be so negative! ;-)
    • Andrew - the wood grain is nice on the oar, but I think the black top section detracts a little?
    • Steve - a lot of artifacting from p-net resizing, but the first still looks very dramatic.
    • Doug - Great to see your stuff posted here! Can you help with the gollum analogy. Is this due to the salamander's habitat? Or ... ?
    • Trent - ethereal...
    • Dave - magnolia addictions can be concerning!
    • DC - really nice b&w. Great capture of the flow of light.
    • Guy, there's great post processing potential in that duck's water. I like the oily sheen.
    • Duane - Icy Wonderland is great with the light shining on all the ice - can't imagine what that would be like in real life! (I have seen snow - once!)
    • John, I have a soft spot for your rough seas - nice shot!
    • Jemal, I like the contrasts in the b&w, and feel the textures have great potential. Did you shoot more of that spot? A more abstract crop might be interesting.
    • Markus, I like it, but the red is a very strong. Black and white?
    Anyway thanks Garry..... :)
    But really, there's a wonderful POW here, and I mostly agree with Garry's remarks.
    here's my triplet for this week :
    [​IMG]
    meet me on the corner
    [​IMG]
    vita rage
    [​IMG]
    reflectree

70. [​IMG]
    I identified which Cladonia the colorful lichen was from a book last Saturday. If I remember, I'll check my notes when I get home and add it to this description.

71. Selective comments: Javier Gutierrez: macaw terrific colour; Miserere Mei: dog and poster nice comp; Robert Colameco: classic b+w of fence; Donnie Strickland: alligator is fit to print; Garry Iain Young: first b+w of kite surfers worth exploring whether it has latitude for enlargement; Duane Mill: exceptionally sharp pictures with a film look.
    Keep up the good work all.

72. The chopped tail really bothered me. Here is another version. I focused on the birds eye. Does this one work better? I should mention that this is the K20D with Tamron 28-300 lens and is a Jpeg straight from the camera. NO PP done other than crop and resize.
    [​IMG]

73. Hi Javier
    Nice colours on the parrot. I would raise exposure and and brightness a bit (0.5-0.7EV) and desaturate the reds on the face. One can argue about the level of sharpness and saturation but I know that you like your JPG's developped in camera that way.
    00Sv7X-120603584.jpg

74. I think John Behrends' second shot ("200d with 70mm LTD") will stand the test of time in his family album, as a reminder of time and place... I think it has an appealingly simple, atmospheric, almost nostalgic feel to it. Nice pic.
    I'll stick with the "snowy spring" theme with this one from the weekend...
    [​IMG]
    ... which was one of those pics that I felt benefited from some almost imperceptibly subtle PP "enhancement":
    [​IMG]

75. Garry the Crazy Wildman wrote: Mis, #2 is great. I know you prefer a 4x3 vertical crop, but I would like to see it in 4x6 - just to know what could have been!​
    Actually, what I like is 4x5 in vertical. If you're dying to see it, I could post a 2x3 uncropped version just for you. But I can assure you there were no nekkid girls at the top! :-D
    Paul Wilkins wrote: ... which was one of those pics that I felt benefited from some almost imperceptibly subtle PP "enhancement"​
    This is drink-spraying good! LOL!

76. Paul Wilkins - love the eggs - are you inviting all Pentaxians over to your house for a cooked breakfast?
    Javier - I liked the first bird shot better - the cropped tail doesn't detract from the capture IMO. The tail crop looks well positioned/framed adding a symmetric balance between the birds tail and the lady's arm - both of which are leading out of the frame.
    Dave Barts - I envy you being able to shoot greenery this time of the year.
    O'Shiva - all 3 are awesome.
    Markus - interesting flea market shot. Delightful to see the different signs.
    Jemal - awesome, gritty B/W. Kudos.
    John Beherends - love the rough seas - being an islander, I'm a sucker for a rugged coastline shot.
    Guy - bring on more wildlife shots - both are great.
    DC Chhayanat - great B/W well captured with the lighting in an architectural marvel. Nicely done.
    Dave - great bud shots. Some Budweiser shots would be great too! Seriously though, those are excellent captures.
    Trent - are those flying lanterns? How are they suspended?
    Steve T - that's some angry water! Interesting.
    Andrew - love the 3 different grains on the 3 different oars.
    Garry - those wind surfing shots are amazing, simply amazing.
    G2G - will comment on the rest shortly.

77. Hat tip, Paul--terrific shot and beautifully conceived and executed parody!

78. Arkadiy - the flower core in negative is really awesome - wow.
    Beerbrain / Ronny - that rock car is neat. Looks like something that should be (or was) driven by a really bad driver. Great find.
    Donnie - I hope that's not a photo of the family pet! Scary shot.
    Bob - I like the B/W best.
    Robert - superb capture on the fence. That photo has a lot of atmosphere. It's my fave of the week.
    Miserere - that dog shot is priceless. Outstanding capture.
    Haig - butterflies and warm weather - you are most fortunate. I like the B/W rings pic best - nicely done.
    Ben - "a work in progress" is a stunning image. I usually prefer photos with little PP but that is very nicely done.
    John O'Keefe-Odom - great music under the bridge shots.
    Scott - good DOF on the puppetts.
    Adam - I think your friends and dog are tired of the camera....lol. Great shots.
    Ian - that doe is very well captured.
    Steve Dean - the Weber unprotected in the snow is too painful to bear. Great shot. Please cover it. If not, I'll be happy to store it in my shed for you.
    Michael E - wonderful architectural shots. Great detail and perspective.
    Bob Keefer - great gate - nicely framed, interesting contrast.
    Justin - your first shot is one of the best landscapes you've posted. Well done.

79. I love so many this week. You all really are a very talented group. I have to say that Paul Watkins's eggs photo is tops for me this week... a great photo and joke. Miserere's waiting dog photo evokes so much emotion! Good work everyone.

80. I loved :
    • Farm gate
    • Bike rack
    • Fence in BW
    • Red cart drippy building Kentucky
    • Playing hard to get.
    • me on the corner
    But the whole selection makes me envious ...
    My humble contribution : K10D, 50-135mm,
    [​IMG]
    «The star» , 1/250s f/8.0 at 50.0mm iso100

81. Dorus - NICE COMMENTS!! Lol!
    But - better pictures! Love your stuff!
    David - great vivd reds without over saturation.
    Javier, I like the second shot. There is something cool about the two eyes, but I think more of her face could make it slightly better compositionally? Still like both of them - really bright and sharp!
    Paul - excellent - but although I see much salt falling - where is the pepper?
    Mis - no need! I trust your judgement - especially if there are no nekkid chicks!
    Olivier - I like abstracts! Nice.

82. Mis - i love the doggie the best. Can't help it. It's my top fav of the week.
    Jemal - I like your door, but I think it would be helped by lowering the framing a tad. Something is just a tad "off", and I think it's that the very bottom of the door is cut off at a strange spot. Like framing somebody by cutting them off just at the chin. (recropping this shot can still work, i bet, now that I read that).
    Bob K - the Farm Gate has a really great mood
    Michael E - The bolt I really like. My kinda shot. Steel just seems like a great art print, and it keeps pulling my eye back.
    Ben - I know it's been said a million times: the eyes are too much. I think to show wisdom, mebbe b&w.... Right now, they just scare me.
    Bob M - I like your wall in B&W much better. The blue sky in the color version is actually distracting. If you got right up on the vines, and only snapped them, I think color would be the way to go.
    Andrew - Rope Rowing Seat is 1 to hang on a wall
    Duane - both kids are cuties. I could spend hours following Jaida around. She's gorgeous.
    Oshiva - Corner is very very s t r o n g. Quite the conveyance of power.
    Paul - ditto Mis. Glad I swallowed my Coke before I got to yours! (Matt's sitting here groaning & shaking his head. I think it's because laughing is too much effort w/ an oxygen tube in his nose)
    Wish I had (anything) to contribute. Drained all the batteries in OKC last weekend, and have been to lazy or busy to recharge. Saw some cool stuff from our March 28 snowstorm (trust me, rare in KS) and still didn't bother to get out there. Of course, that was all gone the very next day (normal in KS). If we can get Matt out of the hospital we should have a collection of portraits from Medieval Fair this coming weekend, as well as his random shooting of freaks in freaky costumes.
    Great stuff guys!

83. I get late to the parties. I am in awe with many of the pictures. Pentaxian rock in all kinds of interesting captures. I got one shot for the week from a cheapo zoom lens with Tamron SP 28-135mm f/4.0-4.5 adaptall-2 28A
    [​IMG]

84. This is a «out of this world» picture

85. Truly incredible stuff here and one of the most active POW's ever!
    Gary and Maria, thanks for very helpful constructive criticism.
    I actually did take some closeups. Probably isn't a lot better, but here is one of them.
    00Svtw-120895584.jpg

86. Definitely much stronger Bob! Would like to see it without the blue at top, and maybe b&w?Excellent.
    I like that shot Hin! Great atmosphere!

87. Wow, Some excellent stuff this week. It seems everyone's 'game is getting better every week. I'll try to comment on some shots soon.
    From a recent trip to Newfoundland by car ferry. Pack ice in the straight around 1:30AM and the searchlight is looking for open paths in the ice. Shot through plate glass ship port hole at ISO 3200 on K20D
    [​IMG]
    Port aux Basques in the morning. They don't call this place the "Rock" for nothing!
    [​IMG]
    Along the trail in Gros Morne National Park.
    [​IMG]

88. Peter, thanks for the memories. I made the same trip back in '78. Even camped at Gros Mourne for a few days. The park had only been open for a short while when we camped there. I would love to see it today. I took a bunch of pictures of salmon jumping up a waterfall. Only after we left did I realized I had forgotten to change the asa setting on my Nikkormat and the pics were all black. Things haven't changed much over time, now I just make stupid mistakes with a digital camera. Nice shots. Thanks!

89. Wow, this thread gets bigger every week.
    The problem is it also gets better, or at least stays on par, and considering we are seeing a lot of photos, that is a really good thing.
    I usually wait till wednesday to comment since some people are still posting for a few days. Busy week though for me. I guess they'll all be busy for a while!
    Really it's gotten to the point where it's impossible to comment, constructive or otherwise on every persons photos, so here is my top 10 or so:

1. I love the croc shot, I think this is the best shot of the week. The diagonal framing, the lighting, and exposure are all spot on to me. Plus, from a distance I love crocs/gators. The lone lilly pad also adds something to the shot for me.
    2. Misereres dog shot. Just one of those classic Hallmark card shots.
    3. Bob Marz shots of the vines actually caught my attention pretty quickly. I actually like the tight crop with the AC the best. I'm thinking this might be a shot where you need to work on your black and while post processing and bring this back in a future thread. The textures really jump out at me.
    4. Ark, really love the negatized macro. Very abstract, almost wish you posted it completely on it's own.
    5. Hin, your bridge shot gets my attention. I'd have cropped the blue sky and featureless clouds off the top, and done a bit more (split ND) to enhance the lower clouds. Love any photo that shows impending doom, more so if a person is walking into it!
    6. Paul, the egg shopping is pretty cool. Very creative, and it sort of doesn't look stupid, even though the idea completely defies any sense of logic!
    7. Andrew H, love all 3 images with the M lenses. The goose is cool, but I'm drawn to the paddle shots at this point in the year, looking forward to hitting the water this year after hiking most of last summer. Great exposures, focus/DOF and contrast. Though, I probably would have scrolled right by them had they been color!
    8. Ben, I'm not a fan of the painted landscapes, but that first one is absolutely killer. I love it, I hope you post the finished version! BTW, are these composite images? Now the eyes of wisdom, it doesn't work. I feel like you were trying way to hard to enhance it, and definitely went the wrong direction.
    9. ME, those shots seem a little different from your usual. I kinda like all three. The color shots look a little bit processed, but not in a bad way, just enough to catch my eye and make me look at them for a little longer. Glad to see you enjoy that 21mm as much as me!
    10. For the last one I gotta go with Robert C's over some others because he does a great job making Philly look like a beautiful place. I don't know if he clones out the bodies in these rivers or they just don't float to the top in the quality lighting he finds, but these Philly area shots always intrigue me. BTW, my comment about the bodies is based on a recent news event (within last year) where a cop was shot in D&Ds (too cliche to start with) followed by the perp jumping into the river from a bridge. When "a body" was found, they official police statement was to the tone of "we found a body, but cannot be sure it was the perps." My first thought was, "wow, there are enough random bodies floating in the philly rivers to make an ID that difficult!"