payment through PayPal.

<p>Many people have told us that they have been waiting for us to be

able to handle their credit cards directly in order to subscribe. In

order to encourage these members to subscribe now, we are announcing a

<strong>Subscription Drive</strong> from now until the end of the

month. Anybody who purchases a 12-month subscription for $25.00

between now and midnight, September 30, will receive an 18-month

subscription, and anyone who purchases a 36-month subscription for

$68.00 will receive a 54-month subscription.

<p>If you already have a subscription, you also may renew early in

order to take advantage of this incentive.

<p>These upgrades will also apply to those people who helped us with

the beta test of the new interface.

<p>So if you didn't want to go through PayPal and have been waiting

for us to accept your credit card, the moment to subscribe is at hand!

And if you have just been procrastinating -- well, your

procastination paid off, because if you subscribe over the next couple

of weeks, you will receive a 50% upgrade.

<p><a href="/photonet-subscriptions?src=bboard_00DXlh">Just click here to subscribe</a>

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francisco, yes you can renew. Because it is so soon, the code might not extend your subscription automatically. This is a safeguard against processing the transaction twice. We occasionally receive a duplicate notification of a transaction. If you don't see the subscription being extended, let me know, and I will fix it in the database manually.

I have signed up, too.

One comment though: You should filter out spaces (and other non-numerical characters) in the credit card number field. My

card was first rejected because I had entered the number

as it is written on the card (i.e. with space as a separator)

Done! :o)

I see the extra year but not the 50%/6 months etc, but I see you mention above about "The 50% upgrade will be added within 48 hours of your subscription" So I will wait and see. By the way keep up the good work Brain and those in charge here. Take care.

DK.

Hey brian, just say I was to use an uncles credit card (from Ireland) would the bill on the card have any hidden charges or anything like this ? I ask this because I really want to subscribe but im afraid he might get extra costs ? sorry if that sounds stupid.

Also, has anyone actually read the ads for the Nikon D50 that are displayed at the top of the screen on some pages? "Are these photographers more skilled than you? No! They just have nikon D50s which make them better! Buy one Damnit or you'll continue to suck at taking family photos and your grandmother will hit you with a rock!" Got a little carried away there, but still that really is a misguided and condescending ad campaign...

Darren, there won't be any hidden charges. The charge will be either US $25.00 or US $68.00, depending on whether you take out a 1 year or a three year subscription. If your uncle's card is billed in Euros then the US dollar amounts will be converted to Euros by the credit card company and will appear on your uncle's credit card bill as amounts in Euros. In my experience, credit card companies generally have good exchange rates. Although it might not be as good as the one printed in the newspaper, which is generally for the exchange of large amounts, it will most probably be better than you could get if you were exchanging money at an airport or at the consumer-level exchange counter in a bank.

If you charge this to your uncle's card, make sure to enter his billing information in the form, since it is supposed to match the information for the card owner, not your information. If you are logged in under your account when you do the charge, the subscription will be credited to you.

I'm really baffled why people who don't subscribe get to participate on the same level as those who do; it always seemed to me that "guests" should get perhaps three posts and after that they're observers unless they subscribe.

Even students will find that a year's subscription costs them less than a single book (and less than they would have spent on two rolls of film and processing), and it's not as though observers can't have access to all of the information that is shared here. And, with three free posts, newcomers with a burning equipment question -- most of which seem to have answers in the archives -- would still have three opportunities to ask it.

A couple of weeks ago I saw someone with a name something like "KAA" not only diss a well-meaning subscriber who was trying to recruit others to join, but actually give tips on how non-subscribers can tweak their browsers to minimize the number of ads they see here. To me that just doesn't seem right. (All non-subscribers who want to do that tweak, just do a search right now for that thread.)

Or would the site just die off if the rule was "X number of posts and then you can watch all you want until you pay"? I'd be curious to know what others think.