Photo.net Member Project with Harold Davis

<p>I recently interviewed photographer and author Harold Davis for photo.net. Harold discusses his latest book <em>Light & Exposure for Digital Photographers</em> , as well as discusses his creative photography vision.<br>

<br /> <em>There are two different modes I can be in at any given time during my working process. I can be in a very analytical planning mode or a creative inspired free mode. Lately, I’ve been looking at some of M.C. Escher’s work for ideas. He did these great patterns and continuing stairways and things like that.</em> -Harold Davis<br /> Read the <a href="../photographer-interviews/harold-davis">Photo.net Interview with Harold Davis</a> .<br /> <br /> Harold also offers a creative assignment. The top 3 photos from the project will be chosen for special recognition on photo.net. See below.<br /> <br /> <strong>Photo.net Member Assignment: photograph a flower in a unique way—in a way that nobody’s seen before.</strong> Take a month to dive in to photographing a flower in an unusual creative way. If you have questions or seek advice, post your thoughts here (or at the end of Harold's interview.)<br /> <br /> Upload your series to your photo.net gallery in a folder titled “Harold Davis Flower Project” and add your <strong>best</strong> (1) single photo to the comments section below (photo should be no wider than 700px width). The photo must also be in your photo.net gallery for consideration.<br /> <br /> <strong>Due date: February 23rd.</strong> These will be compiled into an article and Harold and the Photo.net Editorial staff will select the top 3 photos from this project for special recognition. The top photos will be announced in March 2009.</p>

<p>While I certainly don't have any demographic information regarding the locations of photo.net members, I do get the general sense that, January through February is not "flower" time for many of them...</p>

<p>So, this assignment is really only for those that are in the Southern Hemisphere or have access to a green house or conservatory?</p>

<p>I ask this with sincerity.</p>

<p>Maybe that's where the creativity challenge lies. I can think of other places where you might find flowers other than a greenhouse or conservatory, and because of the time of year in the northern hemisphere, you certainly <strong>have </strong>to be creative to photograph a flower in a new and unique way.</p>

<p>Great conversation!</p>

<p>True, I live in California where there are flowers in my garden most of the year...BUT some of my best flower photos involve inexpensive flowers from Trader Joe's, available all year round. Here's a recent Trader Joe's special: <a href="http://www.digitalfieldguide.com/blog/1949">http://www.digitalfieldguide.com/blog/1949</a></p>

<p>Also, winter frost creates great effects on flowers like this thistle: <a href="http://www.digitalfieldguide.com/blog/1763">http://www.digitalfieldguide.com/blog/1763</a></p>

<p>Part of the point of a challenge like this assignment is that it should be a challenge, and should spur out-of-the-box thinking. Who said the flower needed to be living? Who even said the flower needed to be floral? Crystal flower shapes on a frosted window would work well for me.</p>

<p>So there are many ways to render unusual flower images even if you live in territory buried under whiteness, and without a florist. Think expansively, and don't be too literal about things! Logic is the enemy of the creative unconscious. At the same time, as poet Randall Jarrell put it, "Art being bartender is never drunk."</p>

<p>Regarding the question of whether it could be a photo that has already been taken, my idea when I gave the assignment was that it would be new work. The point is to spur creativity. However, there are no rules in photography. I'd prefer you go out and shoot something new for this challenge, but I'll look at any work you are proud of, and want to submit.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Here is my submission. Believe it or not, this shot was illuminated with window light only and post processing was limited to levels, colours and USM.</p>

<p>The "rainbow" is created every sunny afternoon as sunlight, streaming through the window, is refracted by the edge of a piece of plate-glass on a table top. The "magic" part (for me anyway) was that the angle of the "rainbow" matched the angle of an imaginary line drawn between the centres of the two blossoms.</p>

<p>I included a shot of the set-up in my "Harold Davis Flower Project" portfolio. This set-up was shot on a different day, but, is basically the same as the one used for the submitted shot (flower and background must be moved to keep pace with the sun).</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p><div>00STPD-110047884.jpg.a0655753d92e7b13561b5563a928bdf5.jpg</div>

<p>I understand the preference is for a recent flower shot but also that the rules are flexible to a certain degree. Hopefully this submission is not too far outside the boundaries.<br />A flower is a plant but a plant is not necessarily a flower, I know, I know.<br />Regards, Greg Pichnej</p><div>00SV8F-110467884.jpg.d7d3a5a6b9cfe1e159c5d4cf5fddd4b1.jpg</div>