Photo databases / Organizers

johndancke

I have a computer full of my old photos and what like to organize them somehow. I rather liked how Photoshop Elements Organizer did this, but it got fraghtfully slow when large numbers of pictures were involved (/I beleive around 14000). My version is 10. I there any improvemnets in newer editions or has anyone other sugestions

Yous faithfully

John Dancke

Hi,

I've been using Lightroom for several years. I love it!!

It's a great organizer and I use it for almost all my post-processing.

Just got Adobe's Photoshop/Lightroom CC subscription this year...love that, too,

Mark

The Elements Organiser indeed gets slow with high volume of photos. If the only thing you're after is creating a structured catalog, give PhotoSupreme a look (former IDImager); another alternative is MediaPro SE. These programs do nothing but creating a catalog, no editing or similar.

There are also free programs doing a reasonable job: the former Google Picasa was nice, on Mac the photos app doesn't do too bad either. Adobe Bridge can also be downloaded for free, and can be made to do what you need.

I have not used the latest version Lightroom, but the previous version I did use for some time and while the catalog tool is well equiped, it is slow. I've used PhotoSupreme for a while, and it's certainly a whole lot faster. Nowadays, I use CaptureOne, and while catalogs are its weak spot, I like the rest of the program enough to cope with that. But the point of both Lightroom and CaptureOne is to do the entire workflow, from cataloging to editing to output. So their scope is wider than what the PS Elements Organiser does.

Thanks for all advice. I am trying out Photo Supreme presently. As a lot of my pictures are old scanned images, I need a program that lets me insertt information quickly and easily. I think ACDSee might be a contender too.