Photo critique Meta

<p>...about photo critique: I - as a musician, always in need of good photos - thought I'd post a photo once in a while at the photo critique forum. I read one critique-thread in the past and found that very helpful. Now, before posting I looked over the forum and found masses of professional photos (very inhibiting!), all very recent, and no comments - none! <br>

What am I missing here... is there another secret forum where I can post none-perfect in-need-of-help photos?<br>

Happy new year, by the way!</p>

<p>There's a lack of participation on the part of most PN users. They like putting their photos up for critique, but many can't be bothered to give what they are asking to get. It's kind of human nature . . . </p>

<p>Also contributing is the lack of encouragement for more and better critiques on the part of site management. The system hasn't been changed in a long time, for good reasons having to do with resources and priorities. We are told changes are coming. We wait and hope for the best.</p>

<p>Right now, the most encouragement offered by "the system" is to offer top-rated-photo slots and increased exposure to those who gain high ratings, having nothing to do with critiques. The way top ratings are earned, for the most part, is by spending a lot of time giving out 6/6s or better to as many people as possible, regularly, hoping they will do the same in return. It actually works quite efficiently, transparent though it is.</p>

<p>By the way, you've participated in the site, although rarely, since January of last year and your workspace page has no record of your ever having given a critique. Perhaps that could be a place to start.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I believe it has to do with expectations. If some one expect to post a photograph on a website like Photo.net and the rest of the world will automatically drop what they are doing and comment on the photograph then I believe there is a misunderstanding somewhere. Photo.net is not a pay site where a bunch of jury members sit around waiting for us to post a picture for them to critique.<br>

Comments or critique has to be earned. That's the economics of a photo site.<br>

I don't know for sure but is there a pay website that photographer can post their pictures and get critique by "professional" juror or jurors? That may be a good money making project.<br>

Bottom line is that I don't see any free lunches anywhere.</p>

<p>I may be off the mark but I think I know what Christian means. Some myself included find the critique forums intimidating, thinking that our photos aren't worthy and that we aren't experienced enough or good enough to offer critique. A beginner or inexperienced forum would be nice but then how do you define beginner or inexperience. I finally just bit the bullet and started participating and that has helped somewhat. Until you find a pay site where professionals will offer advice and comments, these forums are our best bet, so just participate and be patient.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"By the way, you've participated in the site, although rarely, since January of last year and your workspace page has no record of your ever having given a critique. Perhaps that could be a place to start."</p></blockquote>

<p>Fred, you got me! OK, I'll try to improve...<br>

Then again, it was only a casual question about the nature of the forum. So maybe I won't...</p>

• 3 months later...