Photo conditions in Colombia (Cartagena & Barranquilla)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by solareslarrave, Jun 26, 2003.

1. I'll be going to Colombia (Cartagena and Barranquilla) in early August
    2003 and was wondering about the kind of film I should take. In my
    trips to Costa Rica I always load my SLR with ISO 400 slide film
    because of the weather and sun changes during May-June. Should I do
    the same when going to these cities or are they sunny enough to load
    my usual ISO 100 slide film?

FWIW... I'll be carrying around either a Nikon F80 with 2 zoom lenses
    (28-80 & 70-300), or a Canonet G-III QL17, which I often load with B&W
    (T-Max ISO 100). I'm more concerned about the film to use in my SLR,
    as the rangefinder works fine with either fast or slow film.

Thanks a lot!!

-Francisco

2. I'd be more worried about a body guard than film. Did you know that roughly 3000
    people were kidnapped in Columbia last year? (Cartagena is supposed to be safer
    than Bogota, but still...)

Columbia straddles the equator, so the weather shouldn't vary all that much no
    matter when you go. Unless you plan to go into deep shade rain forrest, 100 ISO slide
    film should work great.

3. Scott, thanks for your reply. I too am concerned about safety, so I've asked about it to a number of Colombian citizens I know and I've been told the same: Barranquilla and Cartagena are just slightly safer. Hence, I'll be carrying only one camera at a time.

Thanks again for your info. I just purchased a number of rolls of 100 slide film.

4. Francisco,
    I travelled to Cartagena two years ago and spent a wonderful week there. The city is as safe as it gets for a Latin American mid-sized city, it's by far the safest destination in Colombia. It's also by far the most beautiful colonial city among many I visited, and not too heavy on tourists. For photography I would stick to ISO 400 (though you've already purchased ISO 100 slide film) which in my opinion is most suitable for city shooting. Could never understand the logic why tropical locations require faster film, light level at noon is almost the same in New York (where I live) and in Cartagena (close to equator). Contact me if you have specific questions about Cartagena.

5. Thanks to all who replied to my question. I had time enough to shop around and get some additional film, so, as advised above, I'm taking about 10 rolls of ISO 100 and 10 of ISO 400 to shoot with the SLR, not to mention the Kodachrome & Ektachrome 64, and some Scala, which I plan to use in my Canonet. If I get decent shots, I'll do my best to post them here in photo.net. Again, thanks a big bunch!

6. Francisco, I live in Colombia and, as the security conditions are not as best as it could... it is worth the little risk (it is just taking care of yourself) for the beautiful landscapes and people