Photo blog software and services

ianivey

<p>I've just served for the third time as a back-up wedding photographer (not second-shooting for the photographer, but in each case I've just had access and photo privileges with the consent of the paid photographer, and am providing the shots free of charge for the bride and groom), and am scheduled for a fourth wedding as a back-up in the spring. After that, I think I'll have enough work and experience to present a basic portfolio, build a simple web site, and shoot as a primary. </p>

<p>In the meantime, I think I'd like to start a blog. I could then post some of my shots from each of the three weddings (and a portrait session or two) I've shot along with some commentary about the couples, so the subjects could link to my site rather than just posting or distributing my shots themselves. I gave the first couple printing and distribution privileges, but have hesitated for a few weeks to deliver the edited shots to the second couple because I'd like to have a place of my own to post the shots, in order to build an identity, rather than just give a disc of shots to the couple and let them post them on their own. </p>

<p>I've looked over some of the other posts in this category, but I don't see a thread in which many people offer suggestions about different blogging software and services (including hosting). I've never blogged before, so I'm not familiar with blogging software generally, though I understand that WordPress seems to be pretty widely used.</p>

<p>A number of vendors provide templates and blogging software designed specifically for photographers, and a few seem targeted at wedding photographers. <strong>Would you all mind telling me what software you use for blogging, who hosts your blog, and how simple or complicated your software makes the process?</strong> I'd like lots of creative control, but I assume more control usually will mean a steeper learning curve.</p>

<p>I'm eager to learn as much as I can before I try something out on my own, because I don't want to publish a blog, then hop around to this or that other format or service -- I'd prefer to start out as polished as possible with software and hosting that I am likely to stick with for a while (i.e., not basic stuff that screams "beginner!", but tools that give me room to grow into them without being so complicated that I can't figure them out).</p>

<p>Even if you're satisfied with the software and hosting service you use, I'd be grateful to hear about any drawbacks you've noticed.</p>

<p>Thanks, Larry, I'll take a look at it. Hope everyone had a merry Christmas, and I'd very much like any other suggestions you all can offer. In particular, I can find some of these resources just by searching for them, but I'd like to hear from folks who have used them about specifically how well they've worked and what their weaknesses are so I can avoid starting down three or four roads to discover the tool doesn't work well or isn't what I'm looking for.</p>

<p>Appreciate further thoughts!</p>