Photax 2x on Meyer Oreston, Praktica Nova IB

<p>Yesterday, I went across to the same suburban retail center, [southwest Bangalore] as I did last week. This time I used a Photax 2x Converter on the Oreston lens. I tried to keep the basic tonal range within about four. I think the results are better. I had tried the same Converter on the CZJ Tessar lens. It focused well in the center; but the OOF areas were a bit confused. The combination with Oreston is a lot better; I think it is quite sharp too and seems to raise good tones.<br /> <br /> The pictures were made with a tripod [Vivitar 3600] at 1/30 sec and 1/60sec with F-stops at f/8.0 and f/11 depending on the shaded scene or the sunlit one. The film is the new Silver Plus 125 ASA made in Delhi. The pictures tell the story better than I can, this time. Here are some samples.</p><div>00TLAi-134105584.jpg.b8389ab09d94d175a65f929ed047eb04.jpg</div>

<p>Pedestrians are still quite complacent about safety. Road rage is relatively absent, compared to the US, despite the chaotic traffic. One serious Yoga teacher from California was surprised at the three wheeler drivers' calm and exclaimed " I have a lot to learn from them about stress control".</p><div>00TLBR-134119584.jpg.8bf90df598a534395beb38cae8fb81ae.jpg</div>

<p>SP,</p>

<p>It looks like you found yourself a good combination of lens and TC. Your photos are razor sharp. Thanks for sharing once again. Your neighbourhood is always so interesting and seems to have a lot going on all of the time. Is it just as busy at night? When do the sidewalk vendors close up shop?</p>

<p>Thanks Stuart; the vendors close down by late evening around 8:00 p.m plus in all suburban areas. In the central city Bazaar, however, they work round the clock. The night time work is more focused on unpacking big wholesale parcels and cleaning up for the next day. Not much retailing at night. Regards, sp.</p>

<p>Very, very impressive, Subbarayan. I've always had a soft spot for both the Oreston and Photax lenses, much under-rated products, in my opinion.<br>

I think that your genius was in using a tripod - nothing adds to quality like a rock steady support.<br>

Do you have any contact details for the film manufacturer?</p>

<p>HP thank you; the film carton says, "Film imported and converted by <strong>Nova Foto Film Co</strong> . A-19, DDA Shed, Okhla Indutrail Area, Phase Two, <strong>New Delhi</strong> -110020".<br>

It retails for something like BP 4.50 for Ten rolls of 36 exp. in a pack. If you are interested I can send you a Ten pack by Air Mail. I think the postage would cost about BP 2.00. Let me know. Regards, sp.</p>

<p>Thanks KP; this film has a stiffer Mylar [i think] base than the Chinese Lucky SHD100. No, it does not curl while scanning. But it is not as stiff as a Kodak film. So during loading it in the developer reel one has to be a bit careful. The only low noise cameras that I have are the Feds. All others are noisy; but the noise does not bother me; it is kind of natural, indicates that you have finished a frame! Regards, sp.</p>

<p>Great. A pleasure to see this as one of the first since an "inland hurricane" hit us here with 106 mph winds (that's something like 170 kph in real numbers). All power out since Friday las week, and I'm now in the local coffee shop that has free wireless.<br>

even so, at least the thing hit in our usually very short "spring' so neither too hot or cold. It's certainly cooler than Bangalore right now. Nice shots. Wish I could get some of the SilverPlus here, looks very suitable for the Prakticas et al.</p>

<p>Subbarayan,<br>

FEDs are indeed low noise. Surprisingly both my FEDs are qiueter than my Zorki 3, albeight the sound of Zorki is different. But my Prkaktica Super TL sounds like a cricket bat ( I watched this srange game once on TV). Does not bother me but makes some people turn around, espessialy it I have J-9 attached. </p>