Phone Phriday 11.1.19

Andy Murphy

What do you think of this shot compared to the one you submitted for critique?

Interesting question, Sam. The two are totally different from one another.

This one is sort of a static scene but I like the dynamics of the set-up, the way the colors align, and the general framing of the piece, with the big graphic letters, the wavy fascia of the building, and sort of general balance of everything. The big wide whitewalls and red rims matching the colors on the telephone pole- I mean it couldn’t get more perfect.

The photo I posted for critique is a more dynamic scene, featuring a close up of the bike with a fair amount of stuff going on in the background. I think that shot tends to lead the eye all over the place although there’s a person passing through (right beside the number plate on the motorcycle that does annoy me. There’s a whole lot more color in the photo, and the color rendering is very realistic- I guess I’d put that down to the film and exposure?

There’s a fair amount of.... emotion? More of a story? More feeling? in the “critique” photo.

But here is the car and its setting, it could be anywhere in any time.... the “story” is more wide open. One has a definite sense of something; tho the other just is. One is more a real scene with real stuff, real people, one is more art.

Between the two images, I feel like this is generally better. The composition is far more straightforward, vs the other one which is a lot less form following? If that makes sense.

I really like both images but here I feel like everything came together absolutely perfectly. That other one was shot in a hectic setting while I, and everything and everyone else, were very much on the move. I shot this several times on film and with my phone. Haven’t seen that film yet but I love this phone shot. I shot that other photo only once.

I’ll go ahead and admit that a big part of what I get from that other photo is the satisfaction of having nailed the exposure so well. Shooting film, as you know, one (speaking strictly for me anyway) really has no idea what they actually got until one sees the developed images.

Maybe this isn’t the place for this conversation but what’s your take on the two?

Sorry, I was talking about the photo you posted for critique of the same car in front of the house and motel.

on the motorcycle shot, which I wasn’t referring to here, I love the guy who annoys you. He’s there, part of the “dynamics” of the scene, as you said, adds a great sense of scale, and plays a subtle but, to me, pivotal role in the photo.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Sam ah OK. Well..... actually the two cars are not the same, and two different locations. That first one was a convertible in a New Jersey Beach town while the one above is a 4 door sedan seen at a fairgrounds market up here in Pennsylvania. Shot a couple weeks apart as well.

Apologies, I didn’t make the connection between the two photos! Whoops, I’m sorry, my bad.

Still not sure this is the place for this discussion but briefly- I like all the elements of that other photo- I get it’s an unconventional angle on the car, and as some one pointed out, the half-a-bike and half-a-sign etc etc. but I still really like the shot. Far as I’m concerned tho; little I’ve shot lately really compares to this. I don’t remember if I had any color film left when my cameras were aimed at this but I hope I didn’t just get it in B&W.

Shows you what a car buff I am ... NOT! :)

But, being a photo buff, I like your car shot here because it shows off the car, has a frankness about it, and the graphic character and stark red in the sign play well against the dark green classic model car, the red in the tires tying it all together. There’s a boldness to this shot. It’s confident.

I obviously don’t worry too much about what’s the right place to discuss what. There’s little enough substantive discussion about photos around PN these days, so I’ll take it where I can get it.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"