Phoenix Skyline

mike_hardiman

<p>Hi,<br>

Can anyone recommend some good locations for photographing the Phoenix Downtown/Mid-Town skylines? <br>

I'm pretty familiar with southern AZ, but for a long time now, I've ignored the cityscapes. The only skyline views I know of are from South Mountain Park, and up in the Phoenix Mountains Park north of town (off Lincoln Ave). These views are rather distant, and contrast can be a problem in hazy, polluted conditions (typical this time of year).<br>

Ground-level locations and parking garages with good views would be welcome suggestions.<br>

Thanks!<br>

-Mike</p>

<p>Mike,</p>

<p>Distance isn’t the only factor…the skyline itself is pretty blah.</p>

<p>South Mountain you mentioned; there’s both Dobbins Lookout and that big, curving

switchback about halfway there.</p>

<p>The McDowell “mountain” pass is not too bad. Drive east on McDowell from

52<sup><small><u>nd</u></small></sup> street, past the military reservation; just the other side

of the peak of the hill, on the south side, is a small pull-out with a few parking spaces (right in front

of the amphitheater). Walk up the path along the west side of the amphitheater about halfway, and

then head west to the rocks. With a little bit of climbing to a somewhat-precarious but not-too-bad

perch you get a decent telephoto view of downtown. Pick the day carefully and the sun or moon will

rise or set directly above or behind the skyline; with a long telephoto, the perspective is just right for

not-bad drama. Nighttime long exposures from there will include the serpentine portion of the 202

well lit by streaky head- and taillights, plus a few tasteful straight streaks along McDowell itself.</p>

<p>About the same distance away but further south is the butte behind Tempe Diablo stadium and

the Pointe. Again, the sun and moon sometimes line up behind the skyline from that vantage.</p>

<p>Between the two, you actually have a clear view of downtown, including the stadium, from the

Priest bridge over the Rio Salado. Best for a good telephoto on a still clear day, because

there’s no chance of an interesting foreground to add interest.</p>

<p>Closer than that and you’ll have to look for rooftops for a good view. The tower at Sky

Harbor (either the old tower or the new one) would be pretty good, if you can make arrangements to

get access. There are a couple hotels that look like they should be decent; there’re a couple

on both sides of the 202 that I’ve noticed but haven’t investigated further.</p>

<p>But…again, I don’t find the skyline itself too terribly inspiring, which is why I

haven’t bothered to find something better.</p>

<p>You will be so kind as to report back if you find something good, no?</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>While there are some decent view points, there aren't many decent views when it comes to the Phoenix skyline. You might get something worthwhile at dusk, or later on, but NYC or Chicago this isn't. There used to be a good viewpoint on Shea at Fountain Hills, but it's more of Scottsdale/Tempe/Mesa view. I'm not sure that it's still accessible what with the housing development over that way. I've been thinking about heading over that way to check it out, and give my new tripod a workout, but thus far all I've done is procrastinate. </p>