and mammal) right around the city. I would like to work on my

wildlife photography early mornings before I have to get on with my

other work.

I will also take a week at the end just for wildlife photography and

would appreciate suggestions for the one best place in Arizona to

immerse myself.

Many thanks in advance.

Michael Sheridan

The desert botanical gardens aren't bad considering they're more or less right in the city.

For your last week, head south and east, young man! Buy "A Birder's Guide to SE Arizona" and study it. The Santa Ritas, Huachucas, and Chiricahuas are it. Hummers should be good that last week, though the drought weather may have an impact on the flowers they seek nectar from. On the other hand, that may make the various feeders at places like Pattons, the folks in Portal, etc even more enticing. The above mountains are also the best place to find mammals. At that time of year, there will be plenty of birders to turn you onto cool sightings. And the Chiricahuas are so nice you won't want to leave...

If you don't mind shooting captive animals and you don't mind driving a few hours, the Arizona-Sonora Museum west of Tucson is an outstanding site for shooting desert animals.

Also, check out any decent botanical garden in the area. My best bird photographs were taken in the cactus garden of the motel I stayed in.

Try Madera Canyon south of Tucson and east of Green Valley. It's up in the mountains, pines instead of brush, but right on the edge. They have some nice cabins there. It's a birder's paradise, especially hummers - dozens by the office and cabins where they put out feeders. There are deer, javelina, rabbits, squirrels, coyotes and warning signs about bear. It's a great place for photos without the wildlife, a nice stream and some small falls (assuming there is water). Lots of trails. I heard a Magnificent Trogan there but didn't get close enough to see it(I guess that's a rare sight). And it's cool in April when the thermometers in Phoenix start toying with three digits. You could make it a weekend trip and stop at the Desert Museum. Get there before dawn for some great shots of the saguaro nearby. You can find ads for Madera Canyon in any birder's magazine. And I think it's either a state park or forest sevice land. If the cabins are full, there's a nice hotel in Green Valley, about fifteen minutes west.

Good Luck,

Bob Lester

Michael, I would suggest visiting the Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park in Superior, AZ. It is about 1 hour east of Phoenix. There is a tremendous variety of habitats there, from desert cactus to riparian stream. During the spring there is a lot of bird activity. It is a good place to see and possibly photograph some of the typical desert birds of Arizona such as Gila Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal, Cactus Wren, Gambell's Quail, Inca Dove, Ladder backed Woodpecker, Verdin, Zone tailed Hawk, and several hummingbird species.

Michael:

Welcome to Phoenix - I've been living here now for 6 years.

Don's recommendation is the best so far - the Desert Botanical Gardens are centrally located and offer opportunities for common desert birds: Verdin, Cactus Wren, Phainopepla, Gila Woodpecker, Gilded Flicker, Gambel's Quail, Mourning, White-winged and Inca Doves, House Finch, Curve-billed Thrasher, etc. There is a very small artifical pond that sometimes has Common Moorhen. Anna's and Costa's Hummingbirds are both here as well.

But they don't open all that early, so doing much photography here before work will be a problem. There is also an admission fee ($5?) so it may be better to become a member ($25?). Here is their URL:

http://www.mobot.org/AABGA/Member.pages/desert.html

Boyce Thompson Arboretum is another favorite place, but too far

away for morning visits before work. They open at 8:00 AM, sometimes

at 7:00 AM for spring migration. Also, it takes a lot of time to cover the place to reach good habitats. They've got a web page, but I'll have to look for the URL. They also charge $5 admission; I buy an annual state parks pass for $35. There has been a cooperative Rufous-backed Robin wintering here that can be photographed.

On the far west side of Phoenix is Tres Rios artifical wetlands (a.k.a. reclaimed wastewater treatment facility). There is a large flock of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks that is sometimes around in the morning.

Provide more details on where you will be (privately or in this forum), what your hours of work are, and what you are interested in and I can perhaps provide better suggestions.

Rich Ditch, Phoenix, AZ, Rich.Ditch@Motorola.com

I've lived in Phoenix off and on. One of my restful spots for photographing small birds was Lost Dutchman State Park, just east of Apache Junction on 88. There was a water pool quite near the entrance (1/4 mile or less) that bird would use. They were accustomed to people, and there was a bench maybe 20-25 feet from the pool. A number of different birds would use the pool. There were branches right behind the pool for birds to "survey" from before coming down. Gilas, Flickers and such would rest on the side of the sahuaro right behind the pool. It's been 6 years or so since my last visit, but a worthy trip. Perhaps wildflowers by then, also, as a side benefit. Oh. and then the Superstitions.