Philippe Halsman

armin_seeholzer

Hi I just buyed the book Retrospektive of Halsman very interesting book

and artist.

He worked with 3 4x5inch TLRs and MF Rolleiflexes for his outstanding

work. You for sure know the picture with Salvador Dali in wich

everything is in the air including cats and water etc.

A must for every portrait photographer.

I went to school with the son of the editor of LIFE, who had assisted Mr. Halsman and used to talk about his adventures.

Once, while shooting with a view camera from a very tall ladder, Halsman lost his balance and fell, hurting his leg. Fortunately he had the presence of mind to squeeze the shutter release on the way down, getting the shot.

Now that's real professionalism!

I went to a presentation in college by his widow, who described the shooting of the Dali , water, and cat photo. The cats were actually tossed, and then they had a several minute period where the water was mopped up, the cats dried off, and everything set up again. In the end, Halsman got the picture, and the cats got pure tuna.

On a sillier note, I always liked his picture of Pete Sellars emerging from a shrub, and the baffled and distraught Oppenheimer.

Geoffrey,

No, I don't. I'm afraid that Brandt in general is one of those holes in my photographic education. The Halsman picture of him, while amusing, is somewhat disturbing as well.

*ack*

My correction, I do know the image; I'd forgotten that it was Brandt's. The one of the depressed-looking Sellars with the newspaper and band-aid on his head, correct?