Phase One Hasselblad Price Difference

lobalobo

<p>Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find a thread on it: the Phase one CMOS back (IQ250) seems to sell for twice the price (literally) of the Hasselblad version (CFV-50c); that's a $15,000 difference for the same chip. Yes I understand that there are differences including in the CFA, which I understand is important (particularly in a CMOS sensor, which often compromises purity of color for ISO capability), but still <em>twice</em> the price? I get it that Pentax is cheaper still than the Hasselblad, but that doesn't surprise me to the same extent as that chip is built into a camera system that will not appeal to all users. Any thoughts are welcome. (For what it's worth, I'm not in the market, but am curious.)</p>

<p>It's all about dealerships and distribution. PhaseOne dealers are few and far between and offer stellar service - highly trained people that are really there for you. You can buy Hasselblads in places like B&H where I've experienced a good compromise of price and service or from high-end dealers like Foto Care, it's your choice. Pentaxes are sold at the same shops that sell their other gear. Many have knowledgeable sales people, but it's not the same thing.<br>

<br />None of them treat you like a movie star (you'll have to buy a Leica for that), but if you face lots of tough technical issues all the time, PhaseOne will help in a way the others can't. And looking at it from another angle, the only people who can pay the price are those with big challenges every day.</p>