pet portraits

kimangeline.l

<p>I am a beginning photographer, just looking to experiment and discover what I like to shoot. I will be taking some pictures of my neighbors dog - a beautiful golden lab. Brandy ( the dog) is getting old and sicker and I hope to take a really good shot that my neighbor will have to remember her by. I have a Canon EOS Rebel XS with a 28-90mm lens ( which I think is good enough since the picture will be taken indoors). i also have a Canon Speedlite 430EXII flash. I;d like any input on how to make this session produce some good results.<br>

thanks!<br>

Kim</p>

<p>Raw meat. I am not kidding. Have the owner hold up something the dog likes out of camera range. My experience tells me you will get some bright eyed, eager looks for the camera. I really like to do animal head shots. Yes I do think they have expressions. I once had a Shepherd who had the best "screw you" look at me as he was about to break heel and then take-off down the beach only returining when he damn well felt like it. That over he would then be perfectly obedient. </p>

<p>Just FYI, it's either a yellow Lab, or a Golden Retriever - they are two different breeds and if you are even thinking of doing this seriously... well, you get the point.<br>

Okay, back to your question. The mistake a lot of beginners make is shooting at a downward angle onto the dog. Get down onto the floor and shoot from the dog's level. For a shot like you are describing the focus whould be on her expression, through her eyes and that is best captured with her not having to look up. I've got some shots in my portfolio here that illustrate that. Good luck with this - it's a tough assignment because it's difficult sometimes to capture their soul. Just out of curiousity, you say the photos will be shot inside. Any reason not to shoot outdoors?</p>

<p>Dick - thanks for the tip :) never thought of raw meat lol. Greg - my bad on the lab vs retriever - thanks for pointing it out. Thank you for your tips - I looked at your portfolio and I get what you mean about being on their level. As for why indoors - no particular reason not to shoot outside...it's kindof mucky around here right now though :(</p>

<p>Kim. You said that the dog is old and sick. I encourage you to think about how you approach this from that perspective too. If your neighbours pet is very old and sick they may not be able move around and pose for you easily. They may also get tired of someone sticking a camera in their face quite quickly. So I would look for signs that this dog is getting stressed and take your time. i would also make sure of any dietary restrictions before you start handing out the treats. Even though you might decide to stay inside, you might be able to find a comfy spot by a window or glass door to get some window light shots without having to use your flash. i hope you get some nice shots of a lovely dog.</p>

<p>I find having something in your shooting hand that makes a unique noise can be helpful. (You can also make a sound with your mouth too, but sometimes people don't like to do that!) It can get the dogs attention and sometimes a unique expression. Just don't over do it, or they will get used to it fast.<br>

I've also had some success using a small bench or raised step for the dog to stand on. After a couple jumps up and down, they tend to stay up on it and let me get a few shots off. I think the key is to keep flexible. It sounds like you're working with an older dog, so he may be less interested in running all over the place!<br>

Good luck</p><div>00SQvo-109461684.thumb.jpg.05c1fb18bd858fda7366d0be08f1462a.jpg</div>

<p>Hi, I haven't been shooting for that terribly long, but I started out experimenting with my dogs. Two of them are older. From my experience, I totally agree with Greg, a pet portrait looks best (and most sympathetic) when taken at the dogs height. So to do that, I put my dogs on chairs or ottomans, (or maybe in your case a couch) draped in cloth the same color as the background. And treats are a must. Often I can get away with just the "krinkling" of a treat bag. With dogs, it is very important that you have an assistant (i.e. bag krinkler and dog-stayer). I often recruit my six year old. ;-) BTW, a tripod is not a bad idea either -- your photos will have more clarity, especially since you're shooting indoors. And unless you have more lighting than your shoe mount flash, you might want to just use natural lighting (i.e. window).</p><div>00SSJh-109797684.jpg.ea9ffa689c2d23c3de556ad4027f06f9.jpg</div>

<p>If the dog is lying on the floor, you can too. And without a tripod your shots should be OK.</p>

<p>Don't use an on-camera flash. The dog's eyes will not look good.</p>

<p>An inexpensive source of reflectors is a Dollar Tree store. They have 30"x40" white Foamcore boards for $1. Buy several. Then take one, smear Elmer's White Glue all over it then over that put a layer of aluminum foil from your kitchen. On one side of the board put the dull side of the foil as a relector. Take a second board, do the same but put the shiny side of the foil up. For less than $5 you have a bunch of very useful reflectors.<br />I had one like that for over 20 years until I lost it somewhere. Oh well...</p>

<p><b>Signature URL deleted, not allowed on photo.net per the Terms of Use.</b>

• 6 months later...

<p>wow great images here of our best friends!! Mark that image you have is amazingly clear and crisp!! would you mind giving us some info on how you did it? what lens were you using for this stunning shot sure would be appreciated! </p>

<p>Kim, lovely image of Brandy,, they are truly gorgeous, you have captured him well.</p>

<p>Sue</p>

• 5 years later...