Performance Upgrade, Timeline and Ads

G-P

Hello Everyone,

A few quick (and positive) things we wanted to update you on.

1.) International Performance: We are doing a performance upgrade specifically designed for our international friends through an upgrade to our CDN. We hope and expect this addresses the performance issues you've been experiencing and uploading, commenting and browsing will be similar experience in terms of speed as it is here is in the US.

2.) My Timeline feature is being worked on so there will be some nips and tucks there in the coming day or two, so what you see now is not the finished product yet - it was a bit of a pre-release and they are still making adjustments to it. Thank you for your patience and feedback.

3.) Ad Platform: Our ad platform has now been upgraded and you should only seem endemic ads (only ads related to photography) from here on out. This means, no more network ads. From here on out you will see ads only served by us, no more ads taken from outside sources (aka networks), so if they didn't buy it directly from us - it is not getting served. You will see Canon, Nikon, Tamron, Epson, CreativeLive to name a few with more coming. But if its not related to photography - it won't be served.

Glenn, many of us are having a major problem uploading photos. We get an error message telling us the file is too large which is, of course, not the case. It often takes several attempts and necessitates quitting and relaunching the browser. Is this something you're working on? It's been going on for close to 3 weeks now and seems like something that deserves priority. Gordon posted about it in a thread below, with a screen cap of the error message being generated. Thanks.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I tried to upload to the NW forum. First file uploaded fine, second try gave me the file too large error message. When I tried to upload a screen shot of the error message to this post, I got another file too large error message. So yeah your fix fixes nothing.

Glenn, I'm also still getting the error. All my files are very small jpgs. What I've noticed is that if I upload multiple files, it only fails for the last one. In other words, it uploads 1,2,3, then gives the error for 4 (the last). The first three ARE uploaded successfully. It seems to me that the system is making a mistake on closing out the upload session.

If I upload only one file, sometimes it works, and sometimes it gives the error and I get no file uploaded.

Glenn, it's not fixed. I just got the server error message when trying to post a photo to a No Words thread. It went through on the second attempt. Please rest assured that the seasoned members you're talking to here know the size limits of the photos we're uploading and that the problem is not a user problem.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have come to having a Bob Dylan song replay in my head -- "Everything is Broken". I still have confidence that some day in the near future, the scattered bits and bytes will be glued back together. In the meantime, I keep checking the Photo Contest page, and reading the forums.

It's been broken for such a long time now that I don't think that its utility will be restored,

• 1 month later...
It's been broken for such a long time now that I don't think that its utility will be restored,

It's also a matter of trust and competence. First, you don't deploy changes until you have tested them thoroughly and made attempts to break your new site / functions. I can't speak to the process that the Photo.net team used, but I read here that the problems are widespread and serious. Furthermore I read here that the problems are unresolved for a period of weeks without any legitimate signs of fixes. Did they consider a rollback to the old site that worked?

This is a shameful example of IT incompetence and total disrespect for the customers, visitors, and sponsors.

• Like 4

I've used three different Windows 10 (1709) systems, restarted them, cleared cache, used Edge and IE11. I am a retired IT consultant and am anal about system maintenance and updates. All of my systems have the same result loading photos. I also see other posts from users having the same issues. I was able to view galleries and my portfolio on February 10th with minor issues - not all image thumbnails loading but the picture loaded when I selected the image placeholder. Not a user or system problem here.

I do also see that while I was able to access my portfolio and galleries on February 10, 2018; I have an alert from "Spammer" on February 11th at 2:04PM that he likes my status.

Hit the wrong part of the touch screen before finishing my post.

I've used three different Windows 10 (1709) systems, restarted them, cleared cache, used Edge and IE11. I am a retired IT consultant and am anal about system maintenance and updates. All of my systems have the same result loading photos. I also see other posts from users having the same issues. I was able to view galleries and my portfolio on February 10th with minor issues - not all image thumbnails loading but the picture loaded when I selected the image placeholder. Not a user or system problem here.

I do also see that while I was able to access my portfolio and galleries on February 10, 2018; I have an alert from "Spammer" on February 11th at 2:04PM that he likes my status.