Perfect Camera and Lenses

phil_burt

<p>I am sure that this is very interpretive but it could be fun to try.<br>

Assuming you have the choice of either a D90 or D300, also assume that you are a general type of Photographer doing a little of everything. Kids sports, landscapes, portraits not professional though. Then go and fill out your camera bag. What will it contain? <br>

Third party lenses are OK. Limit to 6 lenses or less. Also include all other accessories, flash filters and so on. This could be wind up helping a lot of people decide what to get for a general set-up. Also if you can indicate what the main purpose for your selections are.<br>

So what all would you put in that bag?<br>

Thanks to all,<br>

Phil B<br>

Benton, KY</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This kind of question comes up frequently, phrased in different ways. I shoot with both FX and DX bodies. My own lens kit is a step back from the latest professional models, but includes everything you need to capture almost everything. Limiting it to six, I would pick:</p>

<ol>

<li>Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S</li>

<li>Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S</li>

<li>Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR</li>

<li>Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Micro </li>

<li>Nikon 105mm f/2 DC (for portraits)</li>

<li>Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S & TC17 Teleconverter</li>

</ol>

<p>For most people with DX, you could probably trade the 17-55mm AF-S for #1 and #2, trade the 50mm f/1.4 for #5, and trade the the 70-300mm AF-S VR for #6.</p>

<p>For DX:<br>

Sigma 10-20<br />Sigma 10 FE<br />Nikkor 17-55<br />Nikkor 70-200 VR + TC2III<br />Nikkor 85 1.8<br />Nikkor 105 2.8 VR micro<br />SB600<br />Feisol CT3402 + Manfrotto 486RC2</p>

<p>For FX:<br />replace the first 3 with:<br>

Sigma 15-30<br />Sigma 15 FE<br />Nikkor 24(28)-70</p>

<p>I shoot with a DX (D300) and an FX body always in my mind. I find that my kit is almost complete and I can cover almost everything with it.</p>

<ol>

<li>Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (I'll keep it to use as an WA with my DX body after buying an FX)</li>

<li>AFS 17-55 f/2.8 (This is the only lens I'll change when I ad an FX body)</li>

<li>AF 35 f/2 (Compact, good for candids and to use on the street even in the evening)</li>

<li>AF 50 f/1.8 (Same as above but I like it as a portrait lens too and even faster at night)</li>

<li>AFS 105 f/2.8 Micro (Great for everything, micro, portraits, land scape)</li>

<li>AF 180 f/2.8 (Good, light and fast tele. I like it better than the big 70-200)</li>

<li>AFS 300 f/4 (For avian. But it's not long or fast enough. I need a lot of $$$ to change it.</li>

</ol>

<p>I'm sure many people could skip the the short primes but I think they are very useful.<br>

I also keep 2 more lenses to use in occasions when I don't wanna risk more expensive glasses:<br>

AF 35-70 f/2.8 (Very nice short-tele zoom on DX and I use it on risky places)<br />AF 35-70 f/3.3-4.5 (Nice lens, light and compact to shoot on the street during the day)</p>

<p>D300 and Nikkor:</p>

<ul>

<li>12-24</li>

<li>24-70</li>

<li>70-200</li>

<li>85 PC</li>

<li>200mm f/4 AIS (for when the big zoom is too big, too heavy, or too expensive for the occasion)</li>

<li>105mm f/2.5 (What's the point of using Nikon if you don't have one of these?)</li>

</ul>

<p>Nikon D90, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, Nikon 70-200mm VR-I, TC-20 III, Nikon SB-800, x2 Nikon SB-28, RF 602 triggers, lightstands, umbrellas, Gitzo tripod, AcraTech head, polarizer, Canon 500D. This would be a nice compact kit that has tremendous flexibility. For portraits, it's the lighting that makes all the difference.</p>

<p>I've "evolved" to the point where I don't want to be carrying around a whole bunch of lenses, but instead look for versatile high quality ones. I've also come to understand the importance of flash. When you control the light, you have a tremendous advantage over those who can't.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My pick for 6 lenses to go with a D90 or D300 would be:<br>

Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 Af-s (General Walk around lens - The one I use now on my D90)<br>

Nikon 50 f/1.4 Af-s (Low Light Situations)<br>

Nikon 300 2.8 VRII Af-s w/TC-17 Teleconverter (Sports and Nature)<br>

Nikon 70-200 VRII Af-s (Great general use Telephoto, sports nature, portraits)<br>

Nikon 12-24 f/4 (wide angle for landscapes, and distorted close-ups)<br>

Nikon 105 f/2.8 VR Micro Af-s (Macro and Portraits)</p>

<p>D300 and the following Nikon lenses:</p>

<p>35mm 1:1.8 AF-S for low light and as small walkaround-lens<br>

17-55 mm 1:2.8 AF-S general purpose (I love this lens)<br>

10-24 mm 1:3.5-4.5 AF-S for the occasional wide angle and landscape pictures<br>

70-200 mm 1:2.8 AF-S VR II for the long shots, portrait, sport</p>

<p>SB-600, SB-900, some mobile light bouncers, Manfrotto carbon tripod, Markins head, that's about it. I like to travel light. The last two lenses are on my wish-list, the rest is in my bag. I might take the plunge for FX one day, but right now I buy what I need today, DX or FX I don't care. The above for me is just perfect.</p>

<p>I take a D90 with 10-24, 16-85 and 70-300 whenever I go out. I add to that depending on circumstances- 35/1.8 if I plan on low light, 10/2.8 if I want a particularly wide (and odd) look and a macro lens. I use all three macro's - 60, 105 and 200, and carry the 60 if I want to go light, the 105 if I expect to do much macro shooting, but rarely carry the 200 because of it's size and weight. If I carry a flash, it's usually the SB-400 (very small and allows me to bounce flash). I always have a GT0531 with RRS BH-25 with me - two pounds, but will use the GT2541ex with Arca Swiss Z1 and Kirk macro focusing rail when doing "serious" macro work, but it weights over 5 pounds. I also carry polarizing, graduated ND and ND filters.</p>

<p>I love having three lenses covering 15-450mm (equivalent), particularly since they overlap sufficiently that I don't have to change lenses too often. I also tend to shoot at f8-f16 for DOF, I shoot primarily in daylight and like to travel light, so the larger, higher speed, fixed aperture lenses don't appeal to me. Also saves a lot of cash (eaten by tripods).</p>

<p>D300S Sometime movie come in handy like putting together a sport portfolio. D300's auto focus is a good to have for sport.</p>

<p>70-200/2.8VR is a bread and butter for sport events. It's also a somewhat versatile portrait lens too.</p>

<p>85/1.4 Nikkor, for tight head and shoulder portrait.</p>

<p>50/1.4 Sigma or Nikkor, Portrait and some once in a while macro needs (via diopter and rings)</p>

<p>30/1.4 Sigma, Low light Normal</p>

<p>17-55 Nikkor/2.8 GP Zoom and Landscape </p>

<p>300/4 VR AF-S, +1.4X TC Not too heavy nor expensive telephoto </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, here is what I would want the bag to contain:<br>

D300<br>

10-15/2.8 AF-S (when the one following isn't wide enough)<br>

16-70/2.8 AF-S VR (the general walk-around lens)<br>

70-200/4 AF-S VR Macro (modern version of the 70-180/4.5-5.6)<br>

150-300/2.8 AF-S VR with a 1.4x/1.7x<br>

Until this comes true, I pack the following:<br>

D300<br>

10.5<br>

11-16/2.8<br>

17-55/2.8<br>

35/1.8 or 50/1.8<br>

70-180/80-200/80-400 (depending on what I expect to shoot)<br>

I often leave the house just with<br>

D300<br>

12-24/4<br>

35/1.8<br>

85/1.8<br>

and may throw in either the 150/2.8 or the Apo-Telyt 180/3.4<br>

My bird photography bag contains the<br>

300/4 AF-S with TC-14E and TC-17EII<br>

80-400<br>

12-24 (just in case)<br>

and a 500D.<br>

Either a SB-800 or SB-600 in the bag. Various light modifiers. Wired remote. ND4 and ND8 filter and polarizer. R1 macro flash kit.</p>

<p>Not professional, but gets the job done. Limiting me to 6 lenses has me missing a few goodies, though. <br>

D90 with the following:<br>

Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S<br>

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S<br>

Sigma 30mm f/1.4<br>

Nikon 85mm f/1.4 (Maybe the Sigma will take this place)<br>

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro<br>

Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S with TC-14EII and TC-E17II</p>

<p>2 AB800's with SB800</p>

<p>General non-pro photographer doing a bit of everything, with a D90 or D300 body, (Nikkor lenses except as mentioned):<br>

- 10.5mm Fisheye<br>

- 18-70 Kit zoom lens<br>

- 55-200 VR zoom<br>

- 50 f/1.8 or f/1.4 for low light portraits<br>

- 35mm f/2 Nikkor or the Sigma f/1.4 for general available light shooting<br>

- 300 f/4, and a monopod for stability<br>

- Polarizers in enough sizes to cover all the lenses (except fisheye). Skylight filter for each lens.<br>

- Nikon flash, say SB-600<br>

- Lightweight tripod<br>

- Remote trigger matched to your camera<br>

- GPS (I use the DawnTech di-GPS)</p>

<p>The next addition would be a macro lens, probably 55mm f/3.5 or f/2.8, and a macro focusing rail for use on tripod.</p>

<p>I too am a non-pro, jack-of-all-trades (master of none, is true too) photographer. I am quite satisfied with my complement of lenses, to list a pack of 6:</p>

<p>D300 (over D90, just because of the improved focus module for middle/high-school sports)<br>

Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4<br>

Nikkor AF 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S<br>

Nikkor AF 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR<br>

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro<br>

Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8<br>

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4</p>

<p>Nikkor 300mm f/4 (non AF-S) (I rarely carry this, only take it along for bird/animal shots). </p>

<p>I also have the Tamron/Kenko 1.4x and 2x tele-converters. I'd love to have the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR macro, the Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4. I am more and more convinced that as little as I use the really long end, I would rather rent those for the few occasions.</p>

<p>Let's keep it a bit a decent budget for a more normal "starting kit"....</p>

<p>D90, Nikon 10-24 (or Tokina 12-24), 16-85VR, 70-300VR, 35 f/1.8. The other 2 lenses mainly depend on interests (portrait/macro/wildlife etc.). SB600, something bouncecard and a omnibounce, Circular Polariser, a good bag, decent Manfrotto or similar tripod with ballhead, the remote control for the D90, extra battery, bunch of memory cards, extra batteries for the flash too.</p>

<p>If there is no budget consideration, the list obviously changes. But for the types of photography outlined above, I think the above kit would serve perfectly well for 99% of the people.</p>

<p>Oops, forgot the accessories. Extra batteries, SB-800 flash with home-made "a better bounce card", Circular polariser (thin, and multi-coated), a travel tripod and a monopod (mostly in trunk of car), Tiffen filter holder with Hi-tech ND and graduated ND filters, lens-cleaner, brush, blower, cleaning cloth. When I take the 300mm, I take the Better Beamer flash accessory.</p>

<p>In line with Wouter's comment, no need to acquire everything all at the same time. I think it is good to create a planned list of lenses and acquire good optics over several years. Start with the slight-wide to mid-tele (24-70, 17-55, etc) and get used to it for a year, get a macro maybe the next year to open up lots of possibilities, and a super-wide the following year, etc. etc. Add the longer lenses later.</p>

<p>This is just a hobby for me and it seems to satisfy my NAS. My bag consists of the following;<br>

D300, 10.5 Nikkor Fisheye, 16-85 VR Nikkor, 70-300 VR Nikkor, 105 macro VR Nikkor, Sigma 170-500, Nikon SB 900 flash, Bogen tripod, Manfrotto monopod, UV/Haze filters for all lenses and circular polarizing filters as well. Then there is the Leica stuff..... Wait......that's only five Nikon lenses! I need to tell my wife that I need to buy a 6th one :) Seriously, I enjoy landscapes, wildlife, birds and some macro stuff.</p>

<p>I'd pick D300 because I like its build quality... but because I like toys :-) I'd beg for it's newer brother D300s. Regarding the glass:</p>

<p>Kit Version I (smelling pro):<br>

Tokina 11-16/f2.8<br>

Sigma 30mm/f1.4 (or Nikon 24mm/f1.4...)<br>

Nikon 50mm/f1.2 (or Sigma 50mm/f1.4)<br>

Nikon 85mm/f1.4<br>

Sigma 150mm/f2.8 macro<br>

Nikon 180mm/f2.8</p>

<p>Kit Version II (budget):<br>

Voigtlander 20mm/f3.5<br>

Nikon 35mm/f1.8<br>

Nikon 50mm/f1.8<br>

Tamron 90mm/f2.8 macro<br>

Nikon 70-300 VR</p>

<p>Kit Version III [zoom(b)ie]:<br>

Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8<br>

Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8<br>

Sigma 50-150mm/f2.8<br>

Sigma 150-500mm</p>

<p>Other mandatory stuff:<br>

SB900, ND8, polarizer, good tripod & ballhead, monitor/printer colour calibrator, Capture NX2 software.</p>

<p>Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8<br>

Zeiss 100mm f/2<br>

Nikkor 200mm f/2</p>

<p>Plus the mandatory stuff:<br>

4 x SB-900, plus gels, snoots and barn doors<br>

PocketWizard Plus II<br>

Gitzo GT3531<br>

Markins M20<br>

Singh-Ray Filters (CPol, grad ND, reverse grad NDs, variable ND)</p>

<p>But most important of all, more creativity and more talent ;)</p>

<p>Wow, Great responses.<br>

What can be so good about this, is one can now look at this list and have some idea of what others "would" put in their bag. It is often stated wait until you shoot to buy anything, I believe most people today who buy them don't really know. They want something better than a P & S and they think getting a DSLR will do it. <br>

I would not suggest to someone to go out and buy all of this stuff but it does lead them down a path for future when they do know a little more.<br>

Several people did say what they would use the particular lens for and that sure helps out a newbie.<br>

Ilkka Nissila, The only reason I started this in mind for the DX crowd as they make up the majority, as most new users do not jump into FX. Usually by the time one gets to purchasing an FX they should have a good idea where to start.<br>

Thank you to all that have replied, I hope that it does fill a need and others will look at this list for a little guidence. I hope that many more will answer as the day goes on.</p>

<p>phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>For most uses:</p>

<p>Nikon 10.5mm FF fisheye<br />Sigma 10-20<br />Nikon 18-200 VR<br />Nikon 70-300 VR</p>

<p>For the zoo or aquarium</p>

<p>Tamron 17-50 f/2.8<br />Sigma 50-150 f/2.8<br />Nikon 70-300 VR<br />Nikon 50mm f/1.8</p>

<p>This assumes that I'm paying for the lenses. This also is what I actually have. If you were paying the only changes would be a Nikon 10-24 instead of the Sigma 10-20 and a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 instead of the 1.8.</p>

<p>There are 7 lenses in all, but only 4 in each kit. I hope that's OK.</p>

<p>I'm Prime Happy, generally because they're cheaper and faster, (and you get to learn some fundamental photography before you get into zooms). I also live by the rule that you should not overlap focal lengths in zoom lenses, otherwise you're just carrying around more glass, (and weight), than you need to.</p>

<p>2x D300s:<br>

Nikkor (Prime lens kit; Pros: Light weight, durable Cons: No Zoom)<br>

35mm f/1.8 (general, all purpose lens on my D90 75% of the time) <br>

50mm f/1.4 (Indoor/Low light/no flash)<br>

85mm f/1.4 (Portraits)<br>

105mm micro-nikkor (Macro/Portraits)<br>

135mm F/2 DC (Ultimate Portrait lens) also, mid-telephoto for getting a little length<br>

200mm F/4 (Outdoor sports)</p>

<p>Realistic / on a budget (Pros: Inexpensive, covers most needed focal lengths on DX Cons: No Wide-Zoom)<br>

D90<br>

Nikkor<br>

35mm f/1.8<br>

85mm f/1.8<br>

70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR</p>

<p>Unlimited Budget / Pro Kit (Pros: Everything you need for 99% of what you will ever shoot Cons: EXPENSIVE and HEAVY)<br>

Nikkor:<br>

35mm f/1.8 -or- 135mm f/2 DC depending on your needs<br>

50mm f/1.4<br>

85mm f/1.4<br>

14-24mm f/2.8<br>

24-70mm f/2.8<br>

70-200mm f/2.8</p>

<p>Or, the do-it-all solution for a really tight budget:<br>

Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VRII (Pros: Lightweight, one lens solution Cons: Heavy distortion on both the wide and tele ends of the lens/ no low light solution without flash) </p>