Pentax

<p>Hi, I'm an amateur neolithic photographer coming out of his cave and figures on turning in his coal powered Pentax ME super, for a digital body, if only for the simple reason that I won't have to waste hard earned cash on bad shots (as are most of mine). I have a mixed bag of lenses including a Sigma Super Wide 1:28, a Prinzflex 80-200 and an Asahi M 1:1.7. All have the same K (I assume) lens mount.<br>

So, swallowing my non existant pride, I'm asking you guys for a bit of advice. Within a reasonable price range, should I stick with Pentax and if so what body types, or if I would be better off looking at other cameras that have the same K mount (if any). I look forward to any advice. </p>

<p>If your lenses are all the same vintage as your ME Super, they are probably not A series lenses (an A on the f/stop ring past f/22 or whatever the minimum aperture is). That means that they won't meter at full aperture the way they do on your ME Super, but rather stopped down, which isn't as accurate with Pentax DSLRs in my experience. The other issue is that the currently available Pentax DSLR bodies have an APS-C chip, which is smaller than 35 mm film. The upshot is that your 28 mm wide angle won't seem quite so wide (it will be like a 42 mm lens on 35 mm film). Pentax is promising a "full frame" DSR early next year, but it probably won't be cheap. Pentax, Canon and Nikon all make APS-C DSLRs at quite affordable prices, and Canon and Nikon also make full frame DSLRs for more make money. There aren't many other DSLRs with the K mount, but many mirrorless cameras from Fuji and Sony have available adapters for K mount and other SLR mounts. <br>

I have been quite happy with Pentax DSLRs, and the currently available K-3 (just discontinued, but still available new) is a very capable camera at a very reasonable price (around $650 for the body from B&H).</p>

<p>The Pentax DSLRs I have are older than the K3. - As a cheapest somewhat usable solution I'd try getting hold of a used K20D or its Samsung sister SG20 with a kit zoom for digital equalling an 28-70 lens being a 18 to 50mm. (More recent cameras are probably a tad greater somehow, but I didn't bother to get them)<br>

Back in the days my shelf full of heritage glass was the reason to choose Pentax as my DSLR system, but honestly: I never really warmed up with manual focus stuff on them and ended repurchasing everything as AF versions.<br>

To adapt your lenses on something mirrorless I'd look at Sony. Either their Nex offerings, if they have an option to use an Electric viewfinder in front of your eye, not just a cellphone screen an arm's length away from you. - I believe Nex 5 had such a finder as an add on, something "6000" has it already built in. <br>

I don't recommend elderly Fuji MILCs. I got some, their electronic finders are just too lagged to be fun indoors. <br>

I suppose on a decent MILC it is easier to focus an adapted lens as long as you decided to shoot it rather wide open / not stopped down beyond f5.6. - Adapters on those cameras don't keep the aperture open for metering and focusing. stopping downn by hand gets a bit inconvenient sometimes, especially when the clicks of the aperture ring require force and the electronic finder gets lagged.<br>

No matter what you'll end buying: get a kit zoom with it!<br>

I am no longer recommending sticking with Pentax, since I crave a DSLR system providing a much faster AF than theirs and maybe live view focusing on an articulate screen too. - Maybe take at least a look at the Nikons and Canons offered in your electronics mall's petting area.<br>

Core of the MILC vs. DSLR discussion these days seems to be: How much are you shooting? - I am sure I'll get some 150 frames with everything I have out of one charge. - The DSLR batteries last way(!) longer though. - DSLRs might be a bit more responsive and way better suited to gunning down sports with continous AF (Pentax are the borderline brand in that field though). MILCs are in general lighter than DSLRs.<br>

I wish I could come up with a simple "Buy Whitzbang 3000 & you'll be happier than the clams", but those days seem over.</p>

<p>Pentax on EOS might be an option similar to Pentax on MILC; you have no auto aperture opening up for focusing. You also lose the in camera OIS called SR in Pentax lingo, which although not as capable as Canon's and Nikon's best VR /IS lenses works with everything you have.<br>

All the adapting is suitable for slow paced photography but I believe the focusing aids on a manual SLRs screen are a bit more valuable i.e. likely to be faster than AF sensors trying to assist you.</p>