o.s.

I am looking into buying a Pentax MZ-M (ZX-M in the US). Will it be

possible to use all of the exposure modes with the lenses I already

have from my current (PK mount) camera. They are Pentax K fit, and

have no electrical contacts on the rear. And will I still be able to

use the segmented metering.

Thanks.

Hello,

I own a ZX-M and several other K mount bodies. I primarily shoot Pentax K mount equipment and have collected quite a few K mount lenses over the years. The ZX-M (MZ-M) is compatible with all K mounts (even the newest KAF autofocus). This includes the older lenses that have no electrical contacts. However, the ZX-M will not display the aperture in the viewfinder nor will it automatically select the appropriate F-Stop when you use shutter priority. Also, the segmented matrix metering of the ZX-M is only activated when you use an "A" equipped lens (electrical contacts). So with your older lenses you will not be able to take advantage of the ZX-M advanced metering. Having said this, the ZX-M offers little over any of the more advanced older manual cameras, since it defaults to center-weighted metering with the older lenses.

Since I own several other K ount bodies, I shoot the non-electrical lenses on the them and use only the newer lenses with the ZX-M. Why? It's the biggest justification I have to use the ZX-M. The older bodies handle the older lenses great, and the ZX-M can't utilize its segmented metering with the older types.

If you plan only on using non-electrical lenses, then the ZX-M might not be the best choice to make. An older and more robust body will probably perform just as well in the center-weighted metering role. So you'll need to examine if your need for the matrix metering justifies buying different lenses or will you be satisfied using your older non-electrical contact equipped lenses on the new body.

The ZX-M is very light and has many features that I wanted like depth-of-field preview, matrix metering, exposure compensation and auto film advance--plus it was brand new! Many reviews I've read speak negatively about the plastic lens mount. It has been no problem for me. Please feel free to email me any questions about the ZX-M and the performance I have gotten from it.--Regards

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I own a Mz-M as well and use an old k mount lens on it. I was orignally looking into buying an old k1000 but it turned out cheaper for me to buy a brand new mz than to buy a k1000. Also I do have the option of matrix metering if I get a newer lens. I believe the old K as only center wieghted anyways...