Pentax Spotmatic

ben_van1

Looking at the lens at about 1:30 or the upper right of lens mounting area is a slide switch. To turn the METER on you push the slide up. You can then match the needle in the viewfinder with either shutter or aperature adjustment (if the meter works and/or the battery is fresh). I have had to spray de-ox into mine to 'freshen' the contacts. The meter is the only battery dependant function on the Spotmatic.

Hi ben ...

Micael and John are both right. I would just like to add on that if you have a handheld meter, you're camera probably functions just fine.

I have one of these that I purchased back in the '70's. I had not used this camera for at least 15 years. I came across it while doing some "spring cleaning" a few years ago. The meter didn't work and decided to give it a whirl to see if I could use it as another backup camera (I shoot weddings and use the Pentax 645N). So using my handheld meter, I shot a roll of film and the camera didn;t miss a frame. The camera came with a 50mm 1.4 lens! Check out how much those go for today - if you can find one.

The replacement is the Wein MRB-400. It is a zinc-air battery that delivers the same voltage, although its output curve is different and they have a relatively short life. There are conversions that can be done to use more commonly available batteries. Some full-service camera stores carry the Wein battery.

There is a battery check function built into the Spotmatic, as well. Set the film speed to 100. Rotate the shutter speed dial to the B setting. As the shutter is shifted to B, the needle will deflect downward. If it does not, the battery is dead.

Great camera! I've got two.

Paul Noble