Pentax Sold To Ricoh!!!

miserere_mei

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I imagine this deal has been in the works for sometime. Poor Ricoh. They finally get it and then they find this messed up little Q system "We didn't sign up for this ****!". Good luck Ricoh. Two brands I've always liked working together, hopefully this can only be positive.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I imagine this deal has been in the works for sometime. Poor Ricoh. They finally get it and then they find this messed up little Q system</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don't negotiate a deal this big without knowing about all of the upcoming products. Ricoh already has their GXR small interchangeable lens/sensor system. I'll bet $5 that either Q or GXR will die a quiet death (probably Q)</p>

<p>Hopefully this part says it all....</p>

<p><em><strong>"Through this acquisition, Ricoh plans to 1) enhance its digital camera businesses (especially the</strong></em><br /><em><strong>interchangeable lens camera market which is expected to grow)"</strong></em><br>

<em><strong><br /></strong></em><br>

<em><strong> </strong></em>......which also hopefully will give me my desired 16-85 f2,8-4 WR lens "very soon"...<em><strong><br /></strong></em></p>

<p>From the stand point of the match, I like it too. It's nice to see a real camera company invested in Pentax's success. But I'll admit I'm a little nervous about this one. Richo doesn't strike me as a large enough company to handle the bad times. By selling off the endoscope market, that which was profitable there isn't a lot of cushion left in Pentax. Pentax has been delivering some truly fantastic equipment, but it's always 'Pentax'. What the company probably needs is more marketing to get better brand recognition to new generations of Pentax users.<br>

Sure wish they could start their commercials off with the newest 600mm...wouldn't that be sexy?<br>

Bonne chance, Richo-Pentax! </p>

<p>Excellent news to wake up to. Ricoh is larger than Hoya. Unlike Hoya, Ricoh has a direct retail presence. Hoya is more of an OEM and professional products maker. They didn't do retail themselves which was obvious by the few places one could purchase Pentax products.</p>

<p>Who knows what familiar and new products will change? From the bullet points Ricoh stated, it seems like the 645D will be a core business in some creative ways. Fantastic.</p>

<p>Who is to say that Ricoh and Pentax competing products won't remain that way?</p>

<p>I'm curious about the branding and naming. Will the venerable Pentax brand stand alone? I hope Ricoh is smarter than SONY was.</p>

<p>$125 million US is not much these days. Tells you something. I'm surprised someone notable didn't purchase the brand just for patents, some talent, another factory, and the 645D biz.</p>

<p>Now we have hope.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I'm not sure I'd call Ricoh a "real camera company." They've been in the business a long time, but they've never been more than a very minor player, and it's a tiny fraction of what they do. Their real money comes from photocopiers and other office equipment. I can't think of any Ricoh cameras that were ever particularly noteworthy or innovative. The GXR system is certainly different, but not in a good way; as Ken Rockwell pointed out, Ricoh's real accomplishment with the GXR was to design a system in which lenses become obsolete as quickly as sensors (because they're bundled together in one unit).</p>

<p>I agree with Craig. I am surprised you are all excited about it. Hoya at least was all about optics, whereas Ricoh is all about office machines. Ricoh have never produced anything earth shattering - although I owned the Ricoh GR P & S (very nice it was). I guess they will rebrand their Ricoh P & Ss etc as Pentax from now on.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Well, Pentax was the only "traditional" name left for someone to buy. The other one, Minolta, was already taken some time ago. Canon and Nikon are in another tier.<br>

Sony bought Minolta to get a foothold in the DSLR market, together with Zeiss. Samsung had a partnership with Pentax, and Panasonic one with Leica. The trend was for electronic companies, with huge digital experience, to get associated with traditional photo companies, and make some profit.<br>

Ricoh are doing the same thing; even though it is far form being an electronics giant, they want to get a share of the DSLR pie. Pentax make very good cameras and lenses, and Ricoh make some very good niche compact cameras (with very good lenses too). Overall, I expect to see a good synergy at work here.</p>

<p>Nice. Does this mean that my Ricoh 50/1.7 K-mount lens is going to increase in value? :-)</p>

<p>Pentax has done some great things and made some great products under Hoya's stewardship, and yes they've also made some blunders during that time, but so have all the other camera makers.</p>

<p>My biggest hope for this transaction is that it results in better quality control, and better customer service after the sale. Ricoh, if you're reading this, PLEASE do a better job of ensuring that defective or sub-par products don't leave the factory -- and if they do escape past the QC inspectors, PLEASE do a better job of remedying the problem for customers in a fast, efficient, friendly manner.</p>

<p>A longer warranty would be nice too.</p>

<p>I have a Ricoh Five-One-Nine rangefinder camera that I like very much. I'm expecting a Pentax rangefinder camera coming out soon, or maybe a Pentaxflex TLR like the Ricohflex and Diacord, but digital:-) I'm sure Pentax has always wanted to make a rangefinder or a TLR! Kidding apart, I hope this does not end up like Konica/Minolta.</p>