Pentax revisits vintage 110 micro-SLR look

ralph_jensen

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012505pentaxoptioi10.asp">The new</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/pentx110.htm">The original</a></p>

<p>Nice retro design. 12mp, 5x zoom, 720 video, and most importantly, "this upgraded version is programmed to detect not only human faces, but also the faces of dogs and cats."</p>

<p> </p>

<p>an interesting looking body. i once found one of the original bodies at a cash converter. i knew it would not be of any use to me since 110 film is defunct but it was a nice looking body. would new digital users be buying it for nostalgic value or perhaps the buyers were original version's admirers?</p>

<p>The best thing about this camera is that it incorporates SR (and I do believe they've used the same SR badge as on their DSLRs). I've bought 2 compact P&Ss as presents in the past year from other brands simply because Pentax didn't have any models with image stabilisation.</p>

<p>Interesting it should use a CCD and not a CMOS. <a href="http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1001/pentax/Optio_I-10_White.jpg">Looks cool in white</a> :-)</p>

<p>It is a good looking camera. I will replace my P&S this year and would consider this one, but I'm kind of locked into a Canon, Sony or Oly P&S camera because I want an affordable SCUBA diving housing. Something I doubt Pentax will ever produce. But otherwise it seems to have a decent feature set for a P&S and the style is cool.</p>

<p>It does make me think. 110 film is almost the same size as a 4/3 sensor. A revived digital Pentax 110 system with an off the shelf 4/3 sensor could make a really cool counter part to the new mirror-less micro 4/3 cameras. I wonder if the old Pentax 110 lenses would be up to the task? Could be a really cool system that builds on the Pentax legacy.</p>

<p>Cute! It does bear a striking resemblance to the original... right down to the old-style elongated "PENTAX" nameplate, rather than the current version which is much more narrow looking.</p>

<p>I think we can all agree that it would have been amazing if it actually used interchangeable lenses... sigh...</p>

<p>People are already using old Pentax 110 System glass on m4/3 bodies:</p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360229279133">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360229279133</a></p>

<p>The sensor in m4/3 digitals is much larger than the sensor in the new Pentax P&S</p>

<p>Embracing retro design is cool, kudos to Pentax !</p>

<p>Check out how tiny the sensor in it is:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/895392-post45.html">http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/895392-post45.html</a></p>

<p>and in its leatherette case from many angles:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/896153-post74.html">http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/896153-post74.html</a></p>

<p>Official press relase and full specs:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201003.html">http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201003.html</a></p>

<p>Disappointing that it's still using a sensor that small. I guess if they rate it to ISO 6400 maybe ISO 800 is usable? Maybe? Anyway, I'm not seeing a whole lot to distinguish it, I hope it ends up being a package sound enough to get attention based on more than just its looks.</p>

<p>I believe A30/A40 Optio were the last models to wear that SR badge, and they had CCD-shake stabilization...and also bigger 1/1.8 sensors, though they were OK, not superstars...this little sensor may actually do better.</p>

<p>I don't know why none of the pictures show the back/top yet, though I suppose it looks just about like any other Pentax compact.</p>

<p>The specs on dpreview say there's no AF assist lamp, then what's that thing on the right side of its face? I assume the top one is LED AF assist, and bottom is IR receiver...any other explanation?</p>

<p>Also, I think the orange version of the similarly spec'ed (minus SR) <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012504pentaxoptioh90.asp">H90</a> is pretty handsome too.</p>

<p>Silly label on the back: "<em>Designed by </em> PENTAX". If they had just said "PENTAX", would we have thought it was designed by someone else?</p>

<p>Also, that unlabeled button on the left side (user-perspective)...? Could be an SR preview, this is what a button in that location does with A30.</p>

<p>There is one thing I love about this though--its the old-style "PENTAX" label above the lens, below the flash. Uses a similar typeface that appeared on classic Pentax models through the SF series, until about 1991, when they changed to a blockier, painted-on font on the Z/PZ series. It's kind of a shame they couldn't have put an optical viewfinder in that bulge, even a so-so EVF for better use in bright sunlight...or a hotshoe (though I recognize that the size/weight of all but the smallest hotshoe flashes would be tail wagging the dog).</p>

<p>I wonder if there is anything special about the Eye-Fi compatibility/integration? Possibly cano configured on the camera LCD?</p>

<p>I don't know what the street prices will be but you're paying quite a bit for the CCD-shift SR and leatherette front panel on the I-10; MSRP is $300 vs. only $179 for the otherwise rather similar (and still smart-looking) H90. I suspect H90 doesn't have the IR receiver either.</p>

<p>Andrew, I echo many of your sentiments. When I saw the "Designed by Pentax" on the back, I thought it sort of diminished the looks of the camera a bit. I mean, wouldn't the average person be quite certain that Pentax designed this camera, without needing it spelled out for them? Even though the camera isn't manufactured by Pentax (which is probably something that only we Pentax enthusiasts would be aware of), I think it's pretty safe to assume that Pentax designed it. We don't need a label to tell us that.</p>

<p>I was thinking the same thing about the faux prism bulge where the flash is -- would've been the perfect place for an EVF and would've continued with the SLR-style theme.</p>

<p>I really love the old-style Pentax nameplate. I also like the version used on the K100D, K10D, and earlier cameras; I am <em>not</em> a fan of the new, narrow version used on the K20D and newer cameras.</p>

<p>I'm actually sort of surprised that Pentax did this. Coming out with cute retro-inspired cameras is something that Olympus has a long history of doing, but Pentax not so much.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Also, that unlabeled button on the left side (user-perspective)...? Could be an SR preview, this is what a button in that location does with A30." </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are we sure that's a button and not just an added bit of texture to make the camera a bit easier to hold?</p>

<p>John, I'm not sure if you're talking about the same camera the rest of us are talking about...? The G11 has a 1/1.7" sensor, which is physically larger than the 1/2.3" sensor in the Pentax. The Pentax has no viewfinder, just an LCD screen. The G11's lens is 2.8-4.5, making it faster than the 3.5-5.9 lens on the Pentax.</p>

<p>Competition for the Pentax RETRO P&S?</p>

<p>Note Panny P&S has a FAST f2.0-f2.8 aperture and bigger sensor and video of course, but its $99 more than Pentax.</p>

<p>Hmmmm.... Leica Logo lens versus Pentax Logo lens</p>

<p>Which One Would Ned Buy ????</p>

<p>;^)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573593-REG/Panasonic_DMC_LX3S_Lumix_DMC_LX3_Digital_Camera.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573593-REG/Panasonic_DMC_LX3S_Lumix_DMC_LX3_Digital_Camera.html</a></p>

<p>"<br />By combining a high-quality lens and sensor ready for a variety of shooting conditions with a wide-range of accessories and manual controls, the <strong>Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Digital Camera</strong> is ideal for professional photographers and serious amateurs looking for a compact digital camera that allows for a full range of creative photography capabilities.<br />The camera incorporates a wide angle f/2.0 aperture Leica DC Vario-Summicron lens with 2.5x wide-angle optical zoom (equivalent to 24mm - 60mm on a 35mm film camera) and the MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) system. The camera also incorporates an enhanced 1/1.63-inch CCD that is capable of capturing 10.1-Megapixels and has been designed to provide more space for each pixel to minimize image noise and optimize image quality and dynamic range. The CCD is also capable of reproducing images in three aspect ratios (4:3, 3:2 or 16:9), and the Multi Aspect mode allows the camera to take an image in all three aspect ratios simultaneously. It also boasts the Venus Engine IV high performance image processing LSI to dramatically reduce image noise (even using the high sensitivity setting of ISO 3200 at full resolution), and provide fast shooting performance with an incredibly fast shutter lag, and burst shooting capability.<br />The DMC-LX3 is further distinguished from other cameras by its full manual capability and extensive features that are easily accessible through the cameras joystick controller. These features include a Film mode that allows users to emulate the effects of different film types, a multiple-exposure feature for creating artistic photos by overlaying up to three consecutive images, and easy-to-use Manual modes that give the user greater shot-making flexibility and control. In addition the camera can also capture video clips in standard VGA, and HD video formats.<br />The camera's large 3.0-inch LCD is outstanding for both shooting and viewing. With a 3:2 aspect ratio and high 460,000-dot resolution, the LCD panel provides bright, easy-to-see images over a wider viewing angle. Furthermore, the Intelligent LCD function, assures comfortable viewing in virtually all conditions by automatically adjusting the backlighting of LCD as the ambient light level changes. The camera also provides an impressive slideshow feature where users can select the images, choose for a series of creative transitions and even add music to the presentation - all within the camera. And the camera has HD output capability (Requires an optional HD component cable) to view your images, slideshows and video clips in beautiful HD quality.</p>

<dl><dt>Large 10.1-megapixel CCD </dt><dd>In addition to being a large area image sensor for a Compact Digital Camera, the 1/1.63-inch 10.1-megapixel CCD of the DMC-LX3 has been designed to maximize the size of the photodiodes, and as a result, both sensitivity and saturation have been boosted by about 40% over ordinary models, giving the LX3 exquisite image quality with both excellent sensitivity and a wide dynamic range. Panasonic also minimized noise generation by using newly designed, highly efficient support electronics around the CCD and a large output buffer to provide dramatically improved color reproduction in low lighting, where noise is typically a problem. </dd></dl><dl><dt>24mm Ultra-Wide-Angle Leica Lens </dt><dd>The camera's 24mm equivalent ultra-wide-angle Leica DC Vario-Summicron Lens provides an impressive f/2.0 aperture that allows users of the LX3 to shoot at higher shutter speeds and capture stunningly clear, sharp, blur-free images in lower lighting situations, while the 24mm ultra-wide-angle capability of the lens gives photographers a wider range of composition possibilities. The super-high-quality lens minimizes distortion with minimum artifacts such as chromatic aberrations, ghosting and flaring, so users can get stunning, true-to-life images with outstanding resolution and detail, and this advanced lens also makes it easy to produce beautiful photos with pleasing soft background focusing thanks to the shallow depth of field provided by the extra light. </dd></dl><dl><dt>MEGA O.I.S. with Intelligent ISO Control </dt><dd>The MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) system compensates for handshake - the major cause of blurred images. Every slight hand-shake movement is detected accurately and is compensated to render clear, sharp images. In addition, movement of the subject, the other major cause of blurred images, is suppressed by Intelligent ISO Control (I.I.C.) that provides for automatic adjustment of the ISO setting and shutter speed that best suits the situation by analyzing the speed of subject movement. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Venus Engine IV Image-Processing LSI </dt><dd>The Panasonic image-processing LSI, Venus Engine IV, features more advanced signal processing technology for rendering even higher-quality images, including improved parallel noise reduction in both luminance signal and chromatic signal processing systems. This not only produces a clearer image in high ISO sensitivity recording, but also faithfully reproduces details in low-lit areas of pictures taken at low ISO sensitivity. The Venus Engine IV also supports sensitivity setting of up to ISO 3200 at full resolution and even up to ISO 6400 when using the high sensitivity mode, sensitive enough to capture subjects in near-total darkness without using a flash. Plus the Intelligent Exposure function now has high, standard and low settings of effect to match the shooting conditions and desired result. </dd></dl><dl><dt>High Speed Performance </dt><dd>Thanks to the Venus Engine IV, the DMC-LX3 boasts outstanding response time with a shutter release time lag is as short as 0.005 seconds to make it easy to capture sudden, spur-of-the-moment shots. The camera also provides a burst shooting mode that can snap 2.5 shots per second at full resolution, and a High-Speed Burst mode that it fires off an incredible 6 shots per second at lower resolution. Plus you'll also get unlimited consecutive shooting and a Flash Burst mode that makes it possible to take continuous shots - even with the flash on. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Shoot in Three Aspect Ratios - At the Same Time </dt><dd>The DMC-LX3 can reproduce images shot in any of three aspect ratios; 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9, so you can always capture dynamic, richly expressive shots with a wide perspective, and the Multi Aspect mode allows the camera to take an image in all three aspect ratios simultaneously for the photographer to choose the one that best takes the advantage of the scene after shooting. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Intuitive Operation </dt><dd>The easy-to-use joystick control of the DMC-LX3 facilitates ease-of-use, provides the user with the ability to take full advantage of the multitude of functions offered by the camera and easy access to the manual controls of the camera including focus, aperture, shutter speed, and exposure compensation. In addition, the Quick Menu button provides a quick shortcut to frequently used camera functions - even while monitoring a subject on the LCD. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Auto and Manual Focus </dt><dd>A switch on the side of the lens barrel lets you quickly change the focus mode between Manual Focus, Auto Focus or Macro AF. When using the Manual Focus mode, not only the focus distance but also the DOF (depth of field) and aperture is displayed. The focus button on the top lets you directly choose the auto-focusing point freely from the entire field of view with the 1-point AF or spot AF method, and the same button works for a direct enlargement on the focused point when playing back the images. the Macro capability of the camera allows users to focus on a subject as close as 1cm away for dynamic close-up macro shots. There is also an AF Tracking function that automatically tracks the subject once the AF has been set even if the subject moves around, making it easier to capture sharp, well-focused photos. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Film Modes </dt><dd>The DMC-LX3 offers a Film mode with six color types and three types of monochrome to choose from. Much like selecting different film types with a film camera, this function gives the user the flexibility to produce more interesting and expressive images. When you use the Multi-film mode, the camera produces up to three images from a RAW file for you to enjoy different textures of a film on one same picture. Another new feature is the multiple-exposure function which lets the user create artistic photo productions, overlaying up to three consecutive images while viewing the most recent image in the monitor. The camera also provides extensive white balance control with a color temperature display that presents either a Two-Axis White Balance Adjustment control or a custom setting function that lets users store up to four sets of settings that can be accessed using the mode dial. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Intelligent Auto (iA) Mode </dt><dd>While the DMC-LX3 allows full manual control for more advanced photography, the camera also allows user to take perfect shots with outstanding ease. This is made possible by Panasonic Lumix's iA (Intelligent Auto) mode. In iA mode the camera does all the work, activating Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), Intelligent ISO Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Detection, and Intelligent Exposure. This leaves the user free to simply compose the shot and press the shutter button, with the assurance that the image will be clear, beautiful and properly exposed. </dd></dl><dl><dt>23 Scene Modes & Image Leveling Feature </dt><dd>The LX3 offers a total of 23 scene modes, including the unique Pin Hole and Film Grain modes that adds unique, film-camera-like effects and ambiences to images. This wide range of scene modes means that the camera has a setting for just about any shooting situation, and the actual effects of the selected scene mode can be viewed on the LCD before taking the shot. Image Leveling improves post-shooting convenience buy automatically rotating the image to straighten it and cropping the unnecessary edges. </dd></dl><dl><dt>3-inch High Resolution LCD </dt><dd>The cameras clear, easy-to-see 3.0-inch LCD Display provides over 460,000 pixels of resolution for a comfortable view during either shooting or playback, plus the Intelligent LCD function detects the ambient light condition and automatically boosts the LCD backlighting when shooting in bright sunshine, and adjusts the frame rate when shooting in low-lit situations. This function gives the display the most appropriate clarity in any situation without using extra energy. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Versatile Video Options </dt><dd>The DMC-LX3 records dynamic HD motion pictures in 1280 x 720p at a smooth 24fps, in addition to WVGA (848 x 480) and normal VGA (640 x 480) at 10 or 30fps. The DMC-LX3 also has a slideshow function that allows users to assemble slide shows in-camera complete with music and a variety of slide change effects for emotion-filled slideshows. Both video clips and slideshows can be viewed on a standard TV with the included video cable or view them on a large-screen HDTV - thanks to the camera's HD component output capability (requires optional DMW-HDC2 component cable). </dd></dl><dl><dt>Camera System Expandability </dt><dd>The DMC-LX3 is part of a larger photographic system that includes a slew of useful accessories to customize your camera's capabilities. Users can add various filters* to the camera in order to modify the optical characteristics of the camera and the optional Wide Conversion Lens (DMW-LW46*) brings the maximum wide angle all the way to an incredible 18mm. There is also an optional External Optical Viewfinder (DMW-VF1) provides bright, clear viewing without wearing down the battery, and the optional GN22 Flash mounts to the cameras hot shoe. These and other accessories let users build around the LX3 to create a powerful, versatile camera system that can take them as far into photography as they want to go. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Built-In and Expandable Memory </dt><dd>The camera is equipped with 50MB of built-in memory to serve not just as a tool of shooting images but also as a digital album, to enjoy seeing and showing your favorite pictures. The camera memory can be expanded using MultiMediaCards, Secure Digital Cards or SDHC Memory Cards that are available in capacities of 4GB and more. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Direct Print Capable </dt><dd>With PictBridge direct printing, users can make prints by just connecting the DMC-LX3 camera to a Pictbridge -compatible printer via the included USB cable. The Direct Print mode is easily accessible via the mode dial of the camera so that you can easily access the print control features. </dd></dl><dl><dt>Extensive Software Included </dt><dd>The DMC-LX3 includes a host of editing software including ArcSoft MediaImpression, and ArcSoft Panorama Maker in addition to the USB Driver, Lumix Simple Viewer, and Photo Fun Studio. To edit and develop RAW files, SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0SE software is included so you can freely adjust various setting such as exposure, or white balance, and take maximum advantage of the RAW file format.</dd></dl>

<p>I think we're kind of missing the point on this little camera. It's just a mid-pack point and shoot. That's how it's priced, that fits the sensor and it's feature set. Granted you might consider it the high end for Pentax P&S camera's. But technology wise it's not a big deal. It does look like a reasonable feature set for it's price point and the style is cool.</p>

<p>My earlier comments were more of a what if... Wondering if there was enough with the old Auto 110 SLR system that could be resurrected as a mirrorless micro 4/3 counter part. My guess is no, but it was a fun thought based on the similar size of 110 film and 4/3 sensors; nothing to do with this camera.</p>

<p>Still I'm glad they made this point and shoot, style sells and it seems Pentax is getting that. These little camera's are pretty much commodity items. Honestly there is little to differentiate them performance wise at a similar price point so style is a big plus to bump profits. I hope they do well with it. What I'd really like to see is Pentax back on some store shelves in North Texas; interesting products like this and the KX will hopefully help make that a reality again. I have yet to put my hands on a K7.</p>

<p>RD Dowling and others...right about sensor and speed. Careless of me.<br>

I don't think "cuteness" has as much value as sensor size and optics, so Pentax strikes out unless the viewfinder is fabulous , which isn't likely. And it needs RAW.</p>

<p>The catchet of the E-Pen and GF1 is that they are for amatuers trying to look like professionals trying to look like amatuers. But at least they can deliver IQ superior to mid-range point and shoots, which gives them some credibility.<br>

Frankly I'd be embarrassed to carry a camera that attracted attention for its looks if it failed to deliver superior IQ - and judging from its feature set that is what this one will do.</p>