Pentax LX repaired/refurbished and ready! Just a few minor questions...

<p>A few years ago, I was lucky to have purchased a fairly low cost, non-working Pentax LX and a few lenses that were improperly stored. Finally decided to go ahead and have everything repaired/refurbished and I'm excited to have recently received this equipment back from Eric Hendrickson (http://pentaxs.com/). My experience with Eric was everything I'd read of here, and more. The gear came back completely repaired, lenses cleaned out and focusing smoothly. Everything is working like new and Eric even included a few extras. A big thanks to Eric and to all of the forum members who've recommended Eric's fine work!</p>

<p>I was wondering if those who have experience with this equipment could shed some light on just a couple of things. The first is that I wondered exactly why Pentax made the accessory hand grip for this camera. I don't have the grip, but from various things I've seen online, it seems that they are popular. My hands are not real large and in handling the camera so far, I can't quite see how the hand grip would be of great benefit, but it's hard to tell without actually trying it. Does it really make a nice difference for most people, or perhaps, is it mainly a benefit for those with fairly large or bigger hands?<br /><br />Also, a very minor concern. Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain the small "flash pc sync socket cover"(not sure if this is the correct name)? Both the two-piece and single covers for older Pentax bodies seem to be readily available at the auction site, but I think the LX takes a one-piece cover which covers all three openings and they seem to be quite scarce. I did try calling Pentax (now Ricoh, it seems), but they said they are not available. <br /> <br />Thanks for any input and as this is the first LX I've owned, I'd be interested in any tips or experiences anyone has had and would like to share about this interesting camera, also.</p>

<p>I have a grip for my LX. I don't feel a need for it with just a 50mm but it made a huge difference with a heavier zoom like 70-210 f3.5 motor or winder and maybe a flashgun mounted. With grip the right hand can hold the entire unit somehow, without you depend on the left hand below the lens to carry the weight and how are you supposed to fiddle with your flashgun settings? - I wear size 9 gloves. I would not cover both sync sockets only the FP one which will be the "wrong" one in most cases these days.<br>

The LX is great if it works. Luckily the mechanical shutter speeds are unlikely to break - auto setting on the shutter failed twice on mine. I'd keep my hands from the motordrive. it was pretty fast in its days but the proprietary battery will burn a huge hole into your pocket. if you need something to transport your film take the winder instead. I assume nobody is willing to carry the huge 1 dozen AA cells battery case below the camera to shoot just 36frames per roll. The shutter release button on the NCpack occasionaly activated my shutter when I carried the camera and switching the motor on and off was a bit of a hassle so I ended deactivating that button internally.<br>

I like the full microprism focusing screen for the LX. Be careful when you change screens. a not entirely snapped in holding frame can bend your mirror mechanism and produce OOF photos that way.</p>

<p>Thanks for the excellent info. and insights, Jochen! That makes perfect sense and I should have mentioned that I don't think I'll use this with a motordrive or winder, at least for awhile. Yes, my search so far indicates that you are right that the FP cover is going to be hardest to find. Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with the auto setting on yours. I'm not sure if it means anything at all, but even before this camera was sent to Eric, the meter was reading correctly on auto. But it had the "sticky mirror syndrome" and other issues. But it seems perfect, now, thankfully. I will definitely keep in mind what you mentioned about being careful when changing screens- I can see that easily happening. Thanks! </p>

<p>I had a grip for my LX bodies, but used it once and never did it again. The reason? It attaches via the neck strap lug near the shutter release, so the camera then hangs vertically from the opposite side of the camera from the extra lug, something I found disconcerting. As for the PC flash sync covers, +1 for the suggestion of covering the FP socket so that you won't plug in an electronic flash by mistake. I used 4 LX bodies professionally for 10+ years ( I still have 2 of them) and never had a problem with flash sync from dirt in the camera connection. Sync cords--that's another story...<br>

Enjoy the camera, the LX is a superb picture taker, and the Pentax lenses are a good match.</p>

<p>The flash socket cover is a rare part. Some were sold on eBay recently for rather high prices. I have one, not brave enough to put it on the camera and risk losing it. Only flash I'm going to use is a Pentax shoe-mount flash.<br>

I didn't have that hard a time putting modern NiMh batteries in the motor drive battery pack, replacing the dead NiCd cells. But, yeah, the winder will meet any reasonable "film eating" need. (Or a ZX-5n.)<br>

The grip for the LX 2000 special edition has a nub to hold the camera strap. The sideways hanging camera idea was a short-lived fad. (Remember the Leica CL and M5?)</p>

<p>Thanks Andrew and John- and it's really good to hear that you guys like this equipment! I've heard good things about all of it and look forward to finally being able to make some images. And that's really good to hear what you've said about the covers and socket, too, especially as I don't think I'll use this camera with flash, at least for now, especially as I have Nikon equipment and flash that I'm familiar with. So unless I get lucky, I just might forgo the cover, too, and be a bit more careful of that area if that sounds like an idea. I was thinking of the LX as what I'd like to take on town walks and on trips when a lot of equipment might not be necessary or practical. Thanks for the battery info., also, John. Yes, it sure doesn't seem like the sideways hanging idea succeeded very well.</p>

<p>I had a LX for a while when they first came out. Very nice camera to use and beautifully made from memory, and I also had that grip which soon came off.<br>

Switched to Nikon, can't quite remember why...probably because you weren't considered a pro unless you had a Nikon :)<br>

Interesting how the prices of the LX skyrocketed. I was toying with getting another one but they were too damned expensive!<br>

Look forward to seeing some results with it. Hope that's not too sycophantic.....</p>

<p>You have some beautiful machines, Les! Kind of wish I had your LX viewfinder version, also, for the added compactness- very nice! Definitely, Eric is really first-rate all around. We're really lucky to have someone like him.<br /><br />Really interesting… And these features seem quite practical and useful! They are kind of making me wish I didn't already have a lot of Nikon equipment! The LX's not needing a viewfinder blind, especially, would often be handy for tripod-mounted nature photography. And the long exposure metering capability is awesome, too! That is a very cool night picture of the Hoover Dam!<br>

<br />It's been raining here for a few days and it may take a little longer than I'd like to finish out a roll, but I will post some pics as soon as possible. Thanks for all the great info and pics!<br /><br />Tony, thanks, and in looking for that flash socket cover on the auction site, I saw a few LXs and the prices weren't quite as high as I had thought. Not sure if that's a fluke and of course, I guess it's wise to also figure in servicing to be conservative. I hope you can find a decently priced good one before long. I have Nikons too, and still love them for several purposes, but totally agree with your description from what I sense so far. Hope to have some pics for you before long!<br /><br /> </p>

<p>I hear ya, Les :-D. Nice collection! Totally agree about all those brands. I have a few now, too, and really enjoy seeing the small differences in features and engineering in each one. They truly are "classic". I haven't had much opportunity to shoot them, though, or do much of any photography over the winter, but I'm really hoping that will change soon. The few times over the years that I've had a chance to shoot a few different classics, it seemed that whichever camera I happened to be using at the time would become my "favorite"! <br /><br />Very late this afternoon I loaded a film that's brand new to me, the latest version of Portra 160, and exposed several frames just walking around locally. It may have been smarter to load something faster for the low light, but I've heard so much about this film I couldn't resist finally getting closer to seeing results, especially through the Pentax lenses. I was also thinking of exposing the rest in better light later this week, so hopefully, that was a good choice.</p>

<p>Thanks Les, really impressive! The bright viewfinder was a big attraction for me, too! Had a chance to photograph with it late today, again, and I'm really starting to like it. And of course, it takes a regular cable release, which was one more plus. Thanks for that Portra 160 image, too. Its color palette is very attractive, maybe just a bit more subdued than Portra 400's? </p>

<p>Thanks Les. I was kind of hoping it might be more like the NC versions of the previous generation of Portras, but I will likely love this film, also, from the sound of the Kodak description.<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Les, thanks! That sounds much more to my liking. I had tried the older 160VC and it seemed surprisingly decent for nature, but I hadn't tried the NC version at all. This sounds great for people, of course, and for other possible uses, too. And I've seen some samples of how it renders skin tones today- a very exciting film!</p>