Pentax KM vs K1000?

david marsh

Hi Everyone,

Just after some advice. I've been keeping my eye open for a k1000 for

a little while lately. I like the idea of a fully manual camera and

already own a ME super (that's on its last legs). Anyway, a local

camera shop has a Pentax KM with some lenses it's selling as a

"students" package. Up until I saw it in the window I'd never heard

of it. The shop owner said it's basically just a k1000 with DOF preview.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone know's any great difference between

the two bodies, and whether it's worth waiting for a good k1000 to

turn up. Unless the KM has some serious design flaws I'll probably

end up purchasing it as they seem so similar to what i've been waiting

to buy.

i have a km, my wife and daughter have k1000's. the cameras are exactly identical in handling, have the same (nice) meter readout and the same (damn) lack of an on/off switch.

in addition to everything on a k1000, the km has a DOF control (vital) and a self timer (handy once in a while). they are otherwise absolutely identical. the km is my personal favorite of all mechanical pentaxes.

rick :)=

The KM is better than the K-1000, because it has the features of DOF Preview and Self-Timer. In all other ways, it is virtually identical to the K-1000. It also is just as easy to get repaired as a K-1000 because the very large amount of parts interchangeability between them. Another good one is the KX, next one up in the model line, as it adds superior information (shutter speed and f-stop setting) inside the viewfinder.

I would also would echo the praise of the the wonderful Pentax MX - probably the best match-needle only body ever made by ANYONE, unless you are counting the Nikon F2AS, and need to develop your arm muscles (and your bank account). Unfortunately, Pentax MX bodies are hard to find.

Thanks everyone for all your help :-) This was the first time I've asked a question here on photo.net and I didn't expect such a good response. I've pretty much decided to get the KM. It's in good nick and at a resonable price. At least this way I'll be out and about exposing film rather than checking out the k1000's on ebay.

• 10 months later...
Hi Sean, In the end I did buy the KM, and i've since bought a second one. I'm pretty happy with them, and they've been great to learn on. The only trouble I've ever had with them is user errors, like forgetting to change the shutter speed to 1/60th with a flash and not changing this ISO when I've swapped in different film (in a hurry normally ;-)