Pentax K50 and Flash

revolver

<p>Hi People...<br /><br />hope you all have been well. I have not posted for a while but have stopped by to read some posts from time to time.<br /><br />Hope you all are having a nice holiday season.<br /><br /><br />I made a move to Micro Four Thirds thinking this was the way of the future and the direction I wanted to go to scale down.<br />I was on the verge of moving on the the Olympus OMD series EM10 I think is the model.<br /><br />I have been pretty pleased with my Olympus PEN E-PL3. to some extent.<br />I had an issue in Colorado where security wouldnt let me into a place with my K100D because it was a "professional" camera...thats what prompted me to go with the PEN....<br />Professional features in non pro or DSLR looking camera.<br /><br />I recently used the PEN and 2 significant events with poor results that I cannot understand how things happened....even in auto.<br />one was a Friends 60th birthday party and they were glad someone showed up with a "real" camera<br /><br />Second failure was at a friends wedding over the weekend. It was a pretty lavish event that was 70's/80's rock star oriented that I was lucky enough to be invited to. while it was a private event and I wouldnt have dared photograph some of the people out of respect I missed out or got bad shots of generic things some of these people where involved in just as you or I would have been captured...<br /><br />anyway, so short of being very close to smashing the camera on the red carpet as I left, I remain composed and firgured I ask you good people for some advice.<br /><br />I have had my eye on the K50....well the K 30 but I see its been up graded to 50 in the time I have wasted with the 4/3rds.<br />I see all the "pro" Photog's are always with a DLSR and a big flash pointed away from peoples faces and usually with a difuser.<br /><br />I see the 540 or 360 goes with the Pentax but I also see Vivitar and Sigma flashes also and they seem less costly and equally as effective.<br /><br />so the question is...I am coming back to DLSR. I am more comfortable looking through the lens and am very well familiar with the Pentax layout and easy of controls when needing to compensate for light or what not.<br /><br />Is the K50 a good mid range camera and what flash other than the 540 and 360 would you recommend<br /><br /><br />thanks for your input<br /><br /></p>

<p>The 540 and 360 (there it are two versions) are Pentax branded dSLR flashes with all the bells and whistles. They are highly sophisticated, and frankly they offer more than I ever use (I have the version 1 360) . The version two has a head that swivels left and right that would be nice, but not at the current price (for me) When my 360 was damaged in Australia I picked up a Metz 44 AF-1. It very nicely fitted my needs which were pretty basic.<br>

If you are looking for a Pentax flash 'on the cheap' the version 1 360 (used) is pretty reasonable.<br>

As to what you need it really depends. The relative power, the weight, if you need the flash to be able to operate remotely etc. It all depends on your needs. If you don't need need everything else, then save yourself the money and get a non-Pentax branded flash, just ask about compatibility issues first.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the reply Douglas.<br /><br />I dont need ALL the bells and whistles, too much fiddling and constant setting changes are not my strong suit when in the middle of shooting.<br /><br />I would like more light than an on camera flash provides, I would like a tilting feature so the flash is not right in someones eyes, swiveling is not necessary but probably would be nice. I would like a flash that sits high enough that it reduces lens shadowing when macro or pointing down and shooting. I dont need it to operate remotely.<br />distance is also a concern....sometimes you dont always have the ability to be right on top of your subject. <br /><br />Ah yes...compatibility. I remember back in 2006 when I got my K100D there was some issues with hotshoe flashes that were burning up the newer dslr's....I'd like to avoid that :)<br /><br />so, with that being said, what non Pentax brands along with the Metz should I be looking at for a K50<br /><br />thanks</p>

<p>I know nothing about the K50. - I have K20D & older.<br>

For flashes I have a pair of the older 360s. - I bought them for cheap used and am glad to have a PTTL flash, but they ARE limited since they don't provide swivel heads and just moderate output. Their construction also suffers from putting the contact pressure on the lid of thr oddly hinged battery compartment. on one of my units the noses to keep it shut broke; I close it with strong rubberband now. - Not ideal, but working and IMHO better than no 2nd flash at all.<br>

Before I went digital, I have always been quite happy with Metz flashes. They offer at least 4 different units for Pentax and you should get something pretty decent there.<br>

I don't understand what your Olympus issues were about and wish you had elaborated a bit more. - Didn't it lock focus? - Pentax are still not known for lightning fast AF either but yes, I always felt able to (somehow) cover an event with mine, while a last xmas party, where I showed up with a pair of Fujis, drove me nuts; the buggers didn't focus on anything! <br>

About the Metz flashes: I am reluctant to recommend one since I haven't tested them yet. If you want to shoot low ISO With flash bounced from the gym's ceiling you should of course get the top model for additional power faster recharge cycles and whatever. - The secondary reflector seems handy in my eyes I used it all the time on my older Metz 60 CT4.<br>

If you don't need that much power (<-how much of it is "true"? - the flash is rated with head zoomed to 200(!)mm. For bounced flash that doesn't sound comparable to GN60m with a 35mm (FF) reflector.) You can spend less and maybe get the Metz 52 AF 1.<br>

Sorry for my biased reply. - I don't know Sigma or Vivitar "hands on". I am also clearly leaning towards Metz as a reliable brand (besides that they just declared bancrupt) and would buy another flash of theirs anytime, if I 'd feel a real need. But as long as my old 1980s stuff keeps going strong and I'm sober enough to set an auto aperture on my lens or camera, I see little need to buy high power flashes that I might use every 3rd year.<br>

It isn't just about buying gear. - You also have to carry it to your subject.<br>

I feel "getting away" with the 360FGZs. I can bounce them in landscape orientation or handhold and control them wirelessly for portraits.... or even use stands to have a portable guerrilla studio. - But I don't recommend them beyond "minimum, keeping what in camera flash only promises (+ a few benfits that might become handy)". - Swivel heads are really nice to have for bouncing with left hand below your zoom... - The battery compartment lid issue is partially an avoidable user error, so don't be too worried about it.<br>

But: If you don't have many good lenses left over from your K100 days, maybe consider switching DSLR systems for AF performance's sake? - Tough question. - I know, since I didn't either...</p>

<p>Christopher,</p>

<p>I've been doing some flash research myself (for a K-5ii), and the one I believe I will be getting is the Sigma EF-610 DG Super. Yes, it has some bells and whistles, but you don't have to use them if you don't want them, and, from what I can tell, Sigma offers a 4-year warranty (if in the U.S.) on its products. I also looked at the Metz 52-AF1, but it is more expensive than the Sigma and doesn't have a multi flash option, which I like to have in the event I want to get creative with it.</p>

<p>Another one I'm looking at, that is fully manual, is the LumoPro LP180, recommended by the 'strobist' blog. My brother and I will be able to share this one (he shoots Nikon). I was looking into some manual models by Yongnuo and Neewer, as they are quite cheap and offer a lot of options, but they have somewhat of a mixed-bag of reviews. </p>

<p>I recently acquired a Pentax AF-280t (won't support P-TTL) used from KEH, and I like the light it produces, but I wish it had some more power options besides high and low. As noted in a recent post on this forum, it seems to work best in the red auto mode for me, but maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. </p>

<p>And finally, I have an old Pentax AF-200T that isn't all that powerful, but it is small and has several power options that make it easily controllable. It's a very nice basic flash, but also doesn't support P-TTL. I'm sure it can be had quite cheaply. </p>

<p>The Sigma EF-610 DG Super is a good value. I have the 510 Super and it's worked well for me. P-TTL is nice, even if you just want to be able to do HSS (or FP in Sigma-ese) to use the flash with higher shutter speeds than the sync speed (1/180). I broke the foot off mine once but I fell on it mounted to the camera while skiing, so I can't blame the flash for that. <br>

I have since also gotten a Metz 48 AF-2 which is great but pretty expensive and maybe overkill for you. </p>

<p>I have both two copies of AF360FGZ version I (both purchased used for < $150 each) and AF540FGZ version I.</p>

<p>I mostly use the AF360FGZ's for multi-flash P-TTL wireless -- because I miss the swivel feature of the AF540FGZ. I like being able to bounce vertically when I'm shooting vertically ('portrait orientation') and also the option of bouncing the flash backwards - often you have a light-colored wall behind you.</p>

<p>If I could only have one flash, it would probably be the newest AF360FGZ version II which includes the swivel, plus other niceties like weather sealing and LED constant light source (these I care less about than the swivel). <br>

I believe the AF360FGZ is plenty powerful, and I prefer the somewhat smaller size. What I wish Pentax would offer though is a 2x AA battery version, similar to the Olympus FL36 -- it sacrifices some refresh rate but this makes it noticeably smaller than even the AF360FGZ, and it has pretty much all the same features (or at least the Olympus version of them)...</p>

<p>....which brings me back to the question I should have asked in the first place. Did you have a decent hotshoe flash on your Olympus PEN? No matter which brand, shooting flash is a significantly different skill than available-light photography with its own learning curve. I am wondering in what way your Oly PEN was unsatisfactory? (Though I'll grant that handling a small PEN with a large hotshoe flash may be less comfortable than SLR).</p>

<p><a href="http://pttl.mattdm.org/">Here's a resource</a> for various P-TTL flashes (Pentax and third-party).</p>

<p>"I don't understand what your Olympus issues were about and wish you had elaborated a bit more. - Didn't it lock focus?"<br /><br />Jochen<br /><br />I had not put my finger on it till now...yes, its doesn't lock focus. some things come out blurry that shouldn't. I cant navigate the menus fast to enough to change for different needs. With my K100D I can change Speed and aperture,ISo and scene modes by the hot buttons on the camera. I feel like I have to scroll through menu after menu to get to some of this in the PEN. I have resorted to using auto and it still doesn't come out "right" <br /><br />I thought this was just due to being "used" to the simplicity of Pentax, its what I loved about my K1000 but I find that trying to study the manual and fiddle with the settings gets me no where.<br /><br />The AF on my K100D never seemed lacking..I dont shoot a lot of "action" photography so maybe thats why as long as it focuses and "locks in on it" I am happy with my results.<br /><br /><br /><br />Dont be sorry for your"biased" reply..........its what I am looking for<br /><br />"If you don't have many good lenses left over from your K100 days, maybe consider switching DSLR systems for AF performance's sake? - Tough question. - I know, since I didn't either"<br /><br /><br />I still use my K100D and still have my lenses...not a lot of high priced stuff just my K1000 50MM some secor 70-200 lens that I used to use on it also. my 18-55 gets some use as does the 18-250 and Tamron 70-300 lens I got for the K100D<br /><br />IDK know about making a switch to Canon or Nikon...just something I dont consider. I like the Pentax line. the 3 I have had have always wroked well for me and my needs.<br /><br /><br />thanks for your input.Much appreciated</p>

<p>thanks Andrew<br /><br />"No matter which brand, shooting flash is a significantly different skill than available-light photography with its own learning curve."<br /><br />I hadn't looked at it that way. <br />I like outside shoting. I feel I have all the control I need.........Flash is like I lost IQ ( smarts)rapidly!<br /><br />lol<br /><br /><br />so many unsatisfied things with the Oly its tough to really put my finger on it. mostly what Jochen pointed out..Af not locking...bad shots in low light that I thought the High ISO settings in auto would "Choose" properly. menu options hard to navigate. <br /><br />I love and want to continue loving this camera but it seems limited inside and its frustrating. hard to stay close to something that doesnt perform well even though it seems to have more than enough little more than amateur features</p>

<p>I have been using the Sigma EF610 DG Super flash for about a month now on both my Pentax K-5 & K-3. Like most first time users I am somewhat challenged when it comes to external flashes. I'm finding it fairly easy to learn with this flash. It works great with TTL ( kind of a no-brainer), and high speed sync in manual is not hard to learn; mastering it will be a different story however. That is going to take experience. You hear a lot of comments about directions on some of the flashes being hard to understand. I had very little problem with these. I'm 69yoa and very often have issues learning some of this digital "stuff". This wasn't bad at all. I don't know a lot about flashes but I would recommend this one.<br>

As far as the K-50 goes? If you can manage to put out a few more $$ I would advise the K-5II, or K-3. They are built to last forever, and I will match their picture quality, and ease of use against any other. I have both a 7D & 6D Canon but the Pentax will be used more often than not. Hope this is of help to you.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Richard, Thats a pretty inexpensive Flash with similar features as others in a higher price range.<br /><br />" I'm 69yoa and very often have issues learning some of this digital "stuff""<br /><br />I hear that...when my Wife and kids heard I was getting a "smart phone" they all ran! lol<br /><br />money is not necessarily the issue. side by side I like the K50 better than the K5IIs as the differences are very insignificant for my uses. the biggest plus for me of the K50 is the ability to use AA batteries. the low pass filter doesnt mean anything to me and the very minute speed and ISO differences wont do anything for my needs<br /><br />I have to take a look at the K3 thought.<br /><br />very helpful, thanks Richard<br /><br /></p>

<p>One significant handling issue for me between the K50 and the K-5/7 series (as well as the earlier K10D/20D) is the ISO control -- the ability to effectively manage the ISO while the camera is at eye-level. With most of these cameras you can press or hold a button and either use a wheel to set ISO manually or hit the green button to re-engage auto-ISO.</p>

<p>With the K50, you press the ISO button (which is one of the 4 directional buttons) and you get the ISO management screen on the rear LCD, much like on the K-01 or Q-series. You can still sort of manage it but you then need to use up/down buttons to switch between manual and auto ISO, etc -- not nearly as friendly for on-the-fly ISO changes.</p>

<p>I'm not sure whether or not Pentax has ruined this on the K-3 or not. Pentax has made a few questionable usability decisions recently -- the other one that comes to mind is the change from the display/info button simply cycling through the different display modes to instead having the button show an annoying menu to pick which display. Not sure if they put this one on the K-3 or not, but they did this on the K-01 and I believe K30/50/500/S1 as well.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Christopher S: did you decide and buy the K-50? I think the built-in flash on the K-50 works great, at least for short range (up to 20 feet). I also have used the older version of the AF360 with P-TTL, and that works well too, may be of more use for things like weddings. I bought the older AF360 used on E-bay for two reasons, lower cost and also the new version of this flash does not have a stand-alone automatic mode (though the new version is weather sealed which the old unit is not). With the auto flash mode I can use this flash with other cameras, such as my Sony NEX5N.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>Hi Richard,<br /><br />no not yet but I plan on it in the next few weeks. I am neurotic when it comes to pulling the trigger on something. I like to make sure I get the best deal for my needs and wallet. I dont mind spending the $$$ but I hate it when I buy something and 3 weeks later something better comes along and costs less!<br /><br />My hesitation is basically the flash and the decision between the K50 which I think is best for me and the K5ii<br />now I see B&H has the body only K50 for $366 but its RED! and the black ones are $400....<br /><br />one of the bundles comes with a 18-135 lens and a Pentax 200 flash...the 200 doesnt tilt so I dont want that but that Lens is interesting</p>