Pentax K3 with FLU card

AJG

<p>Does anyone have experience with the Pentax K3 and the FLU card for wireless connection to a computer? I am teaching a class on studio lighting this fall and would love to be able to show immediate results via computer/projector without a connecting cord. Important questions: Does the system work reliably at reasonable distances (15' or less)? Is it difficult to set up? Is battery life long enough for a 4 hour class? Can the camera be controlled from the computer, especially exposure settings?<br>

Any information from photographers who have used this would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>I have not used this but, intrigued, I Googled it and came up with a couple of reviews on Amazon. Not great. Then I looked up wi-fi card for camera and the Eye-fi card came up. It works with the K-3 , as well as older models. Also reviews not all great but the newer models seem to do better. As for battery life for 4 hours, you might want to plug the camera into the wall with an AC adapter. Wi-fi strength is very variable with each network so you might want to try one out at the location. It looks like you can control camera from smartphone. Hopefully you'll get more responses with more specific info.</p>

<p>Hi Andrew, here's a lower tech, easier fix worth considering: connect the camera to a HD TV with an HDMI cable. You can playback directly from the camera. This is ideal if the camera is positioned on a tripod - but not if you want to work the room with it.<br>

The challenge with Eye-fi and similar wireless applications at present is download speed is an average 6-7 seconds for a k-5II, a K-3 with larger files may be slower. You also lose some IQ with Eye-fi. I had an Eye-fi card for my K-5II so I could transfer images to an iPad when travelling. I abandoned the Eye-fi card in favour of an Apple Lightning SD Card Reader. Faster Transfers, better IQ and not as cumbersome as a wireless configuration.</p>

<p>I think you can do what you want (although I have not tested range) with the Flu card and K-3. That being said the wireless setup is awkward (you have to set the FluCard as the access point) but once you do you can see live view from the camera via a browser interface. If you just want to control and shoot it may work well for you but if you want to download raw files via the Flu you are (mostly) out of luck. It can be done but it's an awkward hack and very slow. </p>

<p>Thanks for all of the responses--I'm not interested in transmitting raw files this way, only being able to show the results of lighting and changes on a large screen quickly. Can anyone recommend an HDMI (camera connection) to MacBook Air (Thunderbolt) cable? It would be helpful if it could be 15' or more. My current camera is a Pentax K5, and I don't really need to upgrade to a K3 for any other reasons.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>This might be a little out of date now for the OP, but others may be interested. You can do what you need with the FluCard, the range is about 30'. You can drive the camera from the PC, it works via the browser - I seem to have the best luck with Google Chrome, other browsers seem to connect but fail to show the live image. I haven't experienced any significant delay in the captured image appearing on the PC.<br>

Setup is a doddle, activate the wireless in the camera menu, then look for the new wireless network in your network settings on the device you are using, and click connect (a default password is documented with the card paperwork). Set the camera timeout to 10 minutes at least, otherwise you can lose your connection.<br>

If your battery runs low, the connection will keep dropping. AC adaptor would be best (but they are expensive in the UK), but I have the battery grip so I have 2 batteries worth of juice to use (plus I can put in AA's if necessary.<br>

One thing I would advise, if you are not using the FluCard, eject it from your camera to save battery - otherwise you are constantly powering the wireless network.<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

Pete.</p>

<p>Thanks, Pete. I went ahead and am teaching the class anyway without benefit of a projector. Great information about browsers and battery life--it wouldn't have occurred to me that the Flu Card is constantly transmitting and consequently draining the battery. I expect I will be getting a K3 in the next few months and I appreciate your reply.</p>