pentax k2000

dnsharon99

<p>hello all, i am a newbie, and decided i wanted a entry-level digital camera. i bought a pentax k2000 because it seemed to be a decent entry level camera that i could use my lenses from my 35mm camera on. was just wondering if anybody has one of these and how they like it, or maybe some tips for a beginer to get better pictures. i am mostly interested in portraits. thank you.</p>

<p>Don't have that particular camera Dan, but from what I've heard, it's a good entry level camera, expecially as you say you have some 35mm k-mount lenses lying around. Enjoy! Use the search box up top right to read more about the camera and portrait shooting, and also wait till more people get the chance to answer here.</p>

<p>My 2 cents regarding portaits - good quality prime lens rather than a zoom, maybe a flash or two and some reflectors. Beyond this, you would have to lay out more of what you are looking to do.</p>

<p>Welcome to the family.</p>

<p>Welcome to Photo.net Pentax forum, Dan! </p>

<p>Controlling your aperture affects your Depth Of Field (DOF). DOF is how much of the content of your picture will be sharp. This can be important for portrait use, because often it is desirable to have a reduced, shallower DOF, causing the background to be out of focus to one degree or another, so that the subject is sharp and stands out against the less sharp or even blury background. The wider the aperture (smaller number), the more the DOF is reduced, so less of the picture will be sharp. </p>

<p>The opposite need is usually the case for scenic shots, where a substantial DOF is desirable, and a smaller aperture (larger number) is employed.</p>

<p>Since you have had a 35mm camera for some time, what has been your experience with it? A DSLR operates in much the same way. What has been your experience as to using the Manual, AV, Tv, and Program modes, if your 35mm body has these? Which model is it? </p>

<p>What lenses do you have? A telephoto focal length, being different on a DSLR, between say 40mm and 90mm are generally regarded as good for portrait use. There is a conversion factor of the EFFECTIVE focal length range of a lens of 1.53x when used on a Pentax DSLR compared to a 35mm body. For example, a lens of 50mm focal length will effectively produce results approximately equal to a 77mm lens on a 35mm film body. </p>

<p>I'd say, get used to your new DSLR camera for a while by shooting mainly JPEG images, then eventually try some RAW processing to see when that may serve your purposes. Any questions that come up, we're here.</p>

<p>thanks guys, my 35mm camera is a chinon cp-7.i have tried playing around with it a little here and there but not much. i don't really understand alot of the settings, and what they do. the lenses i have are.<br>

rokunar 2x tele converter<br>

rokunar 52mm zoom macro 1:3.5-4.5 f=35-70mm<br>

chinon 1:1.9 50mm<br>

1:4.5 f= 80-200 zoom</p>

<p>Hi Dan<br>

You will need to "Enable Aperture Ring" in your custom settings, but after that I would try the 50mm lens and the 35-70mm lens out on some people, using the latter more toward 70mm. You will probably need to use the M mode, I would keep your aperture about 5.6, and see what you get. The digital cameras are a ton more complicated than film ones, in my estimate, so I will say that there is nothing wrong with putting the kit lens on (if you got one) and using an auto-mode for a few shots if you want to get decent snapshots.<br>

Have fun, and welcome!</p>

<p>Welcome to the family. My suggestion is to take as many shots as you can. Experimenting with your DSLR is free. - with some rechargeable batteries. You'll get instant feedback so you'll know if you got a good picture. Learn to use the histogram 'cause you cant always trust the LCD.<br /> There is a ton of info on the net. If you're interested in any particular type of portrait photography then all you have to do is google it and learn.</p>

<p>Dear all, just joined the forum today. I want some help with using old MF lenses of Pentax cameras in my K-m (also known as the K2000) DSLR. Can I make any K-mount work on this? What are the lens types that are k-mount? By doing abit of research online I got the feeling that type A and M will work. Can any of you confirm that? Is there any other type that will work without an adapter? I am about to buy a 50mm MF from e-bay and would appreciate any assistance on the issue. Thanks.<br>

Shakir</p>

<p>i am very novice to this but all of my k mount lenses do fit without an adapter. to be able to use them you have to enable the aperature ring in the cameras menu as nick stated above. i am still trying to figure out some settins for decent pics using the manual focus lenses. good-luck</p>